Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the players in my group have become very uncomfortable with the notion of chopping through walls due to the fact that we keep losing to the building falling down, even if we don't chop. I like the chopping rules, I like that they are in the game, and its kind of sad that my group is so against chopping now. So we were thinking of adding some house rules to add a little bit of flexibility in this area.

At first, we were going to add about 5 more damage cubes (from another game) but that requires significant math and testing to get the numbers right and may have other consequences. Instead, we're now considering adding 5 grey cubes (instead of black).

When a firefighter chops through a wall, a grey cube is placed instead of a black. This indicates the wall has been damaged as normal, but not utterly destroyed the entire wall the way that a massive explosion would. Thus, chopping wouldn't count toward the collapse of the building (which requires you to run out of black cubes).

If this leads to the other extreme -- too much chopping walls, then we can limit the total number of grey cubes available. When you run out of grey cubes, then you have to start placing black cubes, reducing the building's structual integrity as normal. We're thinking of starting off with a limit of 5 grey cubes.

This should ease the game a little bit, but only slightly, and make sure that an awesome and flexible aspect of the game is not simply ignored. By limiting the grey cubes, we can still make chopping a hard decision by making it a scarce resource instead of one that's so severe the players are afraid to use it at all.

Other options we are considering are saying that when a shockwave or explosion goes through a grey cube, it becomes a black cube. Also, we are considering that the structual engineer (from the expansion) should replace black cubes with grey ones instead of removing them altogether. Thus, he would be supporting the structure, but not necessarily repairing the wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
...Thus, chopping wouldn't count toward the collapse of the building (which requires you to run out of black cubes).

The word that comes to my mind is "cheating" devil

I use gray cubes in my experimental rules that walls take damage from fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant isn't necessarily designed to make the game easier or harder, so much as to encourage at least some minimal amount of chopping to get the group discussing their chopping options when they might otherwise be suffering axehand paralysis.

If you feel this variant makes the game easier, simply reduce the amount of starting black cubes.

You could replace 4 black cubes, for example, with 4 grey cubes, and thus make the game slightly harder. The players have essentially used four chop actions, whether they wanted to or not, so they might as well decide how best to allocate them over the course of their gameplay.

Another option may be to have every explosion (it's up to you whether this should include the initial 3) replace one black cube with one grey cube. This means if there's a bunch of explosions going on then the amount of damage your firefighters are doing to the walls is really nothing in comparison to the damage already caused by the explosion, which seems kind of appropriate. Mechanically it works out because the group suffers by having a more devestating explosion, but then doesn't cause structual instability to subsequent chopping actions. Even the very idea that internal explosions weaken the integrity of the house making it easier to force entry seems to make some sense.

It's not necessarily cheating... we're just trying to find ways of trying out new things, explore new options, and overall add a little bit more complexity to this great game.

This variant is to spice things up for a group that's getting into a little groupthink rut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.