Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Select one answer in the poll, then tell why....in just a sentence or two.

Poll
Who would you like to see as the U.S. President for the next four years?
Barack Obama
Mitt Romney
Ron Paul
Newt Gingrich
John Huntsman
Rick Santorum
Rick Perry
Other
I don't care
      121 answers
Poll created by richcharters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't vote in the US presidential elections, so I didn't pick anyone.

From a north of the border perspective, I've observed over the years that generally speaking I prefer Democrats from a foreign policy perspective (they tend to be more isolationist, so meddle less in other nations' affairs), but prefer Republicans from a trade/investment perspective (Democrats tend to be more protectionist and so that harms our economy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You left out "None of the above" as an option. I regret that I can't find anyone on that list worth voting for. There are those that tell me to vote for the"lesser of the (two) evils", but that still ends up voting for an evil. Not that I'm saying that they're all evil, but I do believe that they are all self-serving politicians who will say whatever they think we want to hear to get elected, and will promise anything - even what is patently obvious that they can't ever deliver - for the same end.

To (badly) quote a line from the movie Brewsters Millions, "No one in their right mind would spend millions for a $200k/year job unless he thought he could steal it back, with interest."

Yes, I am extremely cynical when it comes to politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Why what, exactly?

Why I think someone will win?

Why I want someone to win?

These are very different questions.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there is no NOTA option, I chose the sole candidate I know absolutely nothing about-- John Huntsman. The reason was that I know enough about all the other options to realize that they are absolutely unacceptable. So while I mayn't vote for him, he is so far my only viable option.

Nothing on his Wikipedia page sounds obviously objectionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
You left out "None of the above" as am option.

whac3 wrote:
Because there is no NOTA option,

Doesn't the "Other" option satisfy this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
dogzard wrote:

whac3 wrote:

I guess some people didn't read that far....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
dogzard wrote:

whac3 wrote:

other to me denotes someone else specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Why what, exactly?

Darilian

Since nobody mentioned the former, I assume it's the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
spoon wrote:
dogzard wrote:

whac3 wrote:

I did thank you. See above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
quozl wrote:
spoon wrote:
dogzard wrote:

whac3 wrote:

I did thank you. See above.

You're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* Romney - he's the least crappy of a totally crappy lineup of pathetic candidates. I just feel he will do the least damage, which these days seems to be about the best you can hope for from a president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I'm faaaaaaaaaar more interested in who is running for City Council, County Commissioner, and my State School Board Rep this year than I am with who gets into the White House. Those people have FAR more power over my quality of life than who's butt is in the Oval Office.

Divided Congress, and none of these guys are strong executives. So I'm focusing on what is far more relevant to my civic life- local politics!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I can't vote in the US presidential elections, so I didn't pick anyone.

From a north of the border perspective, I've observed over the years that generally speaking I prefer Democrats from a foreign policy perspective (they tend to be more isolationist, so meddle less in other nations' affairs), but prefer Republicans from a trade/investment perspective (Democrats tend to be more protectionist and so that harms our economy).

Democrats are not isolationists and have not been in over 100 years. Republicans gave up that idea after World War II. As of late Democrats appear more peaceful, but they mostly voted for the Iraq War and are committed to a massive interventionist military. I agree that in a comparative sense they are better than the Republicans. Also, last I saw tariffs reached new lows under Obama. It was Franklin Roosevelt who destroyed the once sacred bastion of protectionism. There are some protectionists on the right and left, but none of them have much in the way of clout. Democrats talk about it to give the unions (what is left of them) a bone. They never act on it, just as Republicans are more interested in corporate welfare and deregulation than they are in the social issues that define much of their base.

Maybe many Americans disliked John Kerry because he was honest in a perverse sort of way. After all, he did not denounce Bush and his policies as much as he said "I'll do a better job." It may not win elections, but it is what we are reduced to in a nation of policy consensus. Over here, it is "free" markets or death and our aristocrats show no willingness to regulate the economy or limit the military. The arguments are over the last vestiges of the welfare state and (mostly) vapid cultural issues. Maybe we need more crashes, wars, and trade deficits before we wake up. If so we are a profoundly stupid people. Even the White Star Line started putting ample lifeboats on ships after the Titanic went down. But we're Americans. We don't need lifeboats. The better people, the unexpendable will always have lifeboats. Just ask J. Bruce Ismay.

As to the question I went with "other." I'll never vote Republican until they renounce the wackos and stop telling me we need less taxes, regulation, and help for the lower classes, in spite of what those evils wrought. This they will never do, committed as they are to a vision of inequality. Obama though, in deciding that any American labeled a "terrorist" can be thrown in jail has proven to be a spineless coward. He has opened a door that will lead down many dangerous rabbit holes.

For the first time I believe that whoever wins the presidency does not matter. They are fighting to be the next Louis XVI or Cato the Younger. Our decline is not only inevitable but it will be ugly and agonizing. If disaster lies in the immediate future, and I am sure that it does, then Bush is Franklin Pierce and Obama is Buchanan, but I doubt we'll get a Lincoln. Decades of short term, delusional thinking have eaten us from the inside. We are the kind of fools who eat cookies and then go jogging to support our cookie habit. Huey P. Long once said "every man a king!" We could now say every man is Marie Antoinette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
My dream is that I'll wake up in November and read that 90% of Americans voted in their local elections, but no one voted for the Presidential election.

Too many Americans see the President-any President- as akin to a superhero.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Romney - A joint Doctorate from Harvard Law and Business school and impressive results in real world economic ventures. I think having a leader with business experience might be a good idea considering our economic woes.

Good work ethic and I believe he is an honorable person of good character.

So Smart and Honorable... good combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Romney - A joint Doctorate from Harvard Law and Business school and impressive results in real world economic ventures. I think having a leader with business experience might be a good idea considering our economic woes.

Good work ethic and I believe he is an honorable person of good character.

So Smart and Honorable... good combination.

Yeah, unfortunately I lived in MA when Romney got elected governor and a bit thereafter. The state gov't's finances were cut with a slash and burn but no common sense approach. For example, the physics dept where I was at the time was one of the few departments actually earning the university money but he forced cut-backs that gutted the dept anyway.

Sure he balanced the books but with maximum casualties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Considering what our "titans of capitalism" have been up to recently I think business experience is a bad idea right now. We need to get out of the corporate mindset that has failed us and will, in its current form, continue to fail us. Plato and Jefferson were right: keep the merchants out of politics.

All of that being said, if good leveled headed people like yourself and Leo are going in for Romney then I think Obama's chances are worse than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Considering what our "titans of capitalism" have been up to recently I think business experience is a bad idea right now. We need to get out of the corporate mindset that has failed us and will, in its current form, continue to fail us. Plato and Jefferson were right: keep the merchants out of politics.

All of that being said, if good leveled headed people like yourself and Leo are going in for Romney then I think Obama's chances are worse than I thought.

Well, Sean, you said it yourself about President Obama. His agreement to essentially sign away American citizens' rights, along with his virtual invisibility while the nation lurches through economic devastation does not do him credit. At this point, I can not imagine Governor Romney doing any worse, and he has the upside of an unknown. Romney also has the advantage of not being nearly as close to the social conservative looney tune element of the Republican Party as the other Republican candidates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitt Romney for President in 2012. He has the best balance of experience, common sense, and leadership. He's good at what he does, and he's done quite a bit.

Ron Paul....interesting ideas, but I fear the chaos if he actually got elected..plus he's just too old for the job.

Newt Gingrich....too jaded. Fun to hear him talk from time to time, but wouldn't trust him to be my leader.

Huntsman....good alternative. I just don't think he can get it done.

Santorum. Seemed like a boy among men in the debates.

Perry. Should have dropped out (and almost did) after Iowa. Definately should have dropped out after New Hampshire. If he doesn't have the common sense to understand when to drop out, wouldn't want him in the Presidency.

Obama. I'm a little afraid of what he might do in a 2nd term with no re-election to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Why what, exactly?

These are very different questions.

Darilian
Good point, let me clarify. "Why do you WANT someone to win?" Or "Why do you support a certain candidate." This is a survey about what we'd like to see happen, not what we think is going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron Paul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Well, Sean, you said it yourself about President Obama. His agreement to essentially sign away American citizens' rights, along with his virtual invisibility while the nation lurches through economic devastation does not do him credit. At this point, I can not imagine Governor Romney doing any worse, and he has the upside of an unknown. Romney also has the advantage of not being nearly as close to the social conservative loony tune element of the Republican Party as the other Republican candidates.

I can imagine Romney doing much worse. He saber rattles too much. He may just do what the crazies want if they gain Congress: shred the last remnants of the government which actually serves the people. Then our government will simply provide a military and police force. Out here we call that a "police-state." Add in the wealth inequality and you have a banana republic, which we once scoffed at back in the days when, as Tocqueville observed, we were egalitarians. The conservative historian Niall Ferguson correctly observed that, "on the contrary, North America was better off than South America purely and simply because the British model of widely distributed private property rights and democracy worked better than the Spanish model of concentrated wealth and authoritarianism." It seems that now the superior British model is bringing us to the wretched Spanish one. I thought this was not supposed to happen, or at least that is what Andrew Roberts would have you believe with those puff pieces on the "anglosphere." What is even funnier is that Ferguson and Roberts and the rest of the conservatives, by supporting torture, empire, and "free" markets are destroying Anglo-American achievements in liberty and prosperity. Saturn still devours his children.

"From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a step." - Napoleon, 1812

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

However, saying Obama is better than Romney is like comparing Joe Johnston to John Bell Hood. The lesser evil argument inspires no one and certainly not me. So I won't bother. He had the power to stop this and he did not. Citizens United was like "a firebell in the night." Obama's support for this bill is like a column of smoke over the horizon.

I hope Buddy Roemer carries on his campaign. I like what he is saying and I could vote for him and feel I chose a man that I respect. He was a good governor of Louisiana, which is why he only had one term. Failing that I'll vote Ron Paul out of protest. It is like pressing the reset button on your Sega Genesis, which works in X-Men. Or maybe whatever Green or Communist is running for fun and profit. Anything but the GOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am voting for Roemer because I am almost entirely sure that if I vote for Obama, I'll just keep getting email solicitations for money, and chances to win a seat at the first family's dinner table. I don't need that horseshit, I'm on a diet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't vote in US ellections eitehr, but I picked don't care becasuse nothing will change, because all the ellectable candidats will have the same foreign policies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.