Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son loves the 360 version of this game. I've never played the computer version, but I'm guessing its more complex. So which one emulates the '360 version the best? I want my son to play the board game instead of the electronic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Andrews
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played tta, but i personally felt the ffg game was extremely close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG version is more directly inspired from it. TTA is probably a better game. They are both pretty complex though - plenty of people who can handle the XBOX game I'm sure would be completely lost in the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game is too similar to the computer/ XBOX game but you need to perform all the calculations/ book-keeping yourself. That's why I still prefer the console version.
I agree with Chris that Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is the better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - TTA is a MUCH better game.

But if you want similar to the video game...FF - Civilization is...closer.

I TOTALLY understand you wanting to connect with your son AND I understand wanting him to unplug from the video games...so getting the lesser game may make that...easier to engage him.

However, one thing I've never really understood is why companies translate video games into a board games. If you like the video game by all means play that...but generally translating that into a board game well...it loses some of the...fun...generally less engaging than the video game it was based on. I think that's the case here.

So...if there is any way to get him to look at and agree to try TTA I think you'll both like it better. Is there a game shop near you that offers an open game night or a gaming group that you could join? I'm betting someone there will have TTA.

Just My Humble Opinion....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's a pretty smart guy and usually only needs to be explained the rules once; its interesting, because I can see him forming strategies as I'm explaining the rules to him. I don't think complexity is going to be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it that you don't want your son playing Civ Rev on the Xbox specifically, or that you'd like him to play board games with you in general?

I haven't played either of the games you mentioned (though I have played Advanced Civilization and the older Sid Meier's Civ board game and own Civ Rev on the 360 myself), but my impression was what some others have said: that the experience may have been somewhat ported, but many people find the "accounting" bits that the computer automates to be tedious. In your situation, I would be concerned that he'd be put off from board games altogether if he finds the board game version of a video game he likes to be lacking.

What is it he likes about Civilization? The feeling of building up a society from scratch? Many board games offer a similar engine-building feel without directly using the Civ concept, and perhaps more importantly, in less time. 7 Wonders immediately comes to mind as it shares the civilization theme, but many (most?) of the top-ranked games here would fit that description to some degree. Is it the military aspect? Maybe something like Commands & Colors: Ancients (or another C&C game) would go over well. Is it the trading/negotiation parts? (Probably not if he mostly plays with the AI as opposed to Internet games, but maybe...) If it's more than the 2 of you, something like Mare Nostrum or Diplomacy might be a good fit there.

For what it's worth, I like Civ Rev a lot, but I also really like Power Grid, Dominion, Agricola, Imperial, Carcassonne and many other games, and have only a moderate interest in trying Civ-based board games (I've owned the FFG Civ game for several months now and have not played it, mostly because it would take about as long to play as it would to play the computerized version). Good luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the old Avalon Hill version. It's still the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
My son loves the 360 version of this game. I've never played the computer version, but I'm guessing its more complex. So which one emulates the '360 version the best? I want my son to play the board game instead of the electronic game.

The FFG Civilization game reminded me most of the original Civ.

I saw some potential in it, but, frankly, will never willingly play the board game again. It's an overwrought, mediocre, pile of overproduced junk.

Through the Ages is fiddly, difficult, and will make you want to rip your hair out. On almost every single turn, you will really want to do ten things, and only be able to do a couple. Balancing every aspect of play is something that takes many plays to perfect.

In Civilization, it looks like you have an expansive board to move around on, and then have to do some micromanagement on the side. In reality, there's some micromanagement in front, and then there's a bigass board sitting in front of you, which is only incidental to what's actually happening.

In TTA, there's no board to fuss with. Which is good, because there are a lot more decisions to make - and the decisions are much more interesting. In TTA, you're always between a rock and a hard place. You don't waste turns exploring a boring map - every action counts.

Civ will give you a feeling more like the video game, but in the end is an unfufilling board game experience. TTA abstracts many elements of the video game, and puts the interesting stuff at the forefront of the experience.

If you want to try TTA out, it is available online, and I would be perfectly happy to play a few gentle learning games with you if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.