Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Notmyreallastnameberg
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've read all the material on CoA's website for this game, and I'm familiar with the Harpoon series, so I think I have a decent grasp of the military aspects of this game (the political system is another mater).

Based on what I've read it seems like an air campaign that targets Iran's oil infrastructure is a better way to deal with the game than one that actually targets the nuclear program. GBU-39 bombs seem like they would be very effective in dealing with Iran's petroleum industry. While the material I read on CoA's website didn't go into detail, an F-16I should be able to carry dozens of the little GBU-39 bombs, and the F-15I should be able to carry even more.

It seems like most Iranian players would logically assume that the targets of the air strikes would be the nuclear facilities themselves, which would leave the oil targets relatively free of defenses.

Additionally, the information in the chapters I read seemed to indicate that attacks on Iran's oil would cause a loss of Russian and Chinese support.

So is going after Iran's oil really the best strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougherty
United States
Philadelphia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Rob,

One of the reasons we made Persian Incursion is to answer questions like that. On one hand, the oil facilities are definitely softer targets. On the other, you have to do a clean sweep or pretty close to it in order to force the Iranians to surrender. That's going to take a lot of sorties, and it's all or nothing. If the Iranians have a good political game and get a couple days worth of bombing halt, you've gotten nowhere.

The nuclear strategy can work with just a couple targets destroyed, which means you have a shot at early victory. Oil means going in for the long haul. The targets aren't tough but there are too many of them and not enough airplanes.

EDIT: By which I mean, please test it out and let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Doty
United States
Happy
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is targeting Iran's oil a workable strategy (no).
After the first “pre-game” airstrike. It’s definitely Nuke targets.

Natanz has only the Uranium Enrichment Facility.
Arak has two targets; Heavy Water Plant, and Reactor Facility.
Isfahan has three targets; Uranium Conversion Facility, Fuel Manufacturing Plant, and Zirconium Production Plant.
Qom has only the Uranium Enrichment Facility.

That’s 7 targets in the Northern and Central area. No need to go to the South. In my YouTube training, I almost got all of Isfahan done. If I had, the rolls would have been as follows; 2D6, 2D6+2, 2D6+2+2. Only needing a 14 for Iran to sue for terms. Any roll of 6 or more takes PP away from Iran. That really limits the Iran players options. The next site will be at 2D6+6, and so on.

Thats my opinion.

Respectfully,
Andy Doty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.