Popular Tags: [View All]
Devin
United States
Southern Illinois
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed my first game of Elder Sign and it also happened to be my first board game that I've played solo. I felt like I had an amazing win at the end of my game and wanted to share it with others! Please note that I did not originally intend to do a write up after my session, so I don't have a complete account of how my game went down.

I started the game by randomly picking Amanda Sharpe. The Ancient One I randomly selected was Yog-Sothoth.

I had no trouble at all completing my first three or four adventure cards in this game. After completing those cards, I failed one card and then went on another streak of completing cards.

I was beginning to think that this game was too easy until the red die got locked onto the "We Need to Find Help" card. Once that happened, things started to get difficult for me. I felt like the game was literally knocking me down after I failed about four or five adventures in a row.

During my streak of failing my adventures, I was only short five Elder Sign tokens from winning. I felt like I could pull it off, but also knew it was just a matter of time before Yog-Sothoth would awake and I would meet my eventual demise. Something crazy happened though...

On the "City of the Great Race" Other World adventure card, I was able to complete it with what I felt was a very lucky roll. I was able to get my first of five Elder Sign tokens that I needed to win the game from this card.

I then moved on to "A Secret Gathering" adventure card to earn my next Elder Sign. After that I went to "Yuggoth" which was an Other World card and was able to get two Elder Sign tokens! This put me up to four out of the five I needed to win the game! I also got the Shot Gun common item from this card which helped me out a lot later on.

I looked at the doom track and saw I was only one doom token away from Yog-Sothoth awakening. I knew it was time to act fast and get my last Elder Sign.

I felt like I needed to get another common item so I could add a yellow die to my next adventure roll. On my next turn I went to the souvenir shop and traded in some trophies to get a common item card. I ended up getting a Whiskey card which would not help me on my next adventure. I decided to try for another common item on my next turn and got exactly what I wanted...a .38 Revolver. I also took another turn and traded in one more trophy for a clue token.

I knew I would need to have one trophy left over just in case Yog-Sothoth awoke, so I spent all but one trophy. I then decided to do the "Lights Out" adventure.

I rolled all 6 green dice and used my .38 Revolver to add in the yellow die. On my first roll, I was able to complete the first task by getting a three investigations roll. After that, I pressed on for the two peril skulls.

I was unsuccessful on my first roll and used my clue token to roll again. On the next roll I was unsuccessful and had to discard one die. I rolled again and got one peril skull and was able to use the shotgun to turn one die into a peril skull. Now, all I needed to get was two Lore rolls.

On my first roll, I rolled three dice. One of the things I rolled was the Lore die and I decided to focus that die. I then discarded a green die and rolled my final yellow die.

This was my result:

I was then able to complete the "Lights Out" adventure and then won the game with the 12 Elder Sign tokens I needed to win!

This was how the "Lights Out" card looked before I rolled the yellow die on my last turn:

This is what Yog-Sothoth's card looked like at the end of the game:

and here's a shot of my character's card at the end of the game:

This is the order that I completed my Adventure and Other World cards during the game:

Haunted by a Shadowy Figure
Stay Away from the Windows
Riot in the Streets
When Night Falls
Gala in the Great Hall
Gate to Elsewhere
Tempest in a Teapot
City of the Great Race - Other World
A Secret Gathering
Yuggoth - Other World
Lights Out

I had a great time playing this game and got very excited when I saw that I rolled that last lore symbol that I needed on the yellow die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthew
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no better feeling in all of boardgaming than having the game come down to the result of a single die roll, throwing the die, seeing it spin for 5 minutes, and then watching it finally rest upon the symbol you require. That's AT, baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apathy wrote:
I knew I would need to have one trophy left over just in case Yog-Sothoth awoke, so I spent all but one trophy.

I think you're misunderstanding how Yog-Sothoth works. Each time he attacks, you have to discard a trophy or you're devoured. Given that you have to successfully attack him 10 times, even at a lucky rate of 1 success each turn, that's going to be 3 trips around the clock and 3 attacks he gets in. With some bad luck in rolling, you're going to need 4 trophies at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin
United States
Southern Illinois
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Apathy wrote:
I knew I would need to have one trophy left over just in case Yog-Sothoth awoke, so I spent all but one trophy.

I think you're misunderstanding how Yog-Sothoth works. Each time he attacks, you have to discard a trophy or you're devoured. Given that you have to successfully attack him 10 times, even at a lucky rate of 1 success each turn, that's going to be 3 trips around the clock and 3 attacks he gets in. With some bad luck in rolling, you're going to need 4 trophies at least.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. I was thinking I just had to discard one trophy whenever Yog-Sothoth awakened. Well I'm glad I was able to get that last lore I needed before it awoke then. It would have been game over for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.