Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Hobbs
United States
Franklin Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.

I'm currently working on artwork for a board game, and I'm trying to brainstorm a health / HP symbol. I've heard that the Red Cross symbol is off limits...is this true?

I know it absolutely can be true, I just find it a bit ridiculous that an organization can claim all rights to what is essentially a red plus.

There are other options out there, but it's such a bold icon and screams "health" when you see it. Anyone have any trouble with this in the past?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that you can't use the actual Red Cross logo, but you can't copyright a shape. Just design your own... do something a little different that communicates what you need. For example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearts are a great generic health symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hobbstarrunner wrote:
I've heard that the Red Cross symbol is off limits...is this true?

Yes. It's literally illegal under 18 USC 706. It's not a trademark issue or anything like that, it came out of the Geneva Convention. All signatory nations agreed to protect that insignia under their laws. Of course, the law doesn't really protect something as specific as a boardgame component. It really just prevents its usage as part of company or product logos/insignias. Most things I've seen, like first aid kits, have gone to a green cross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hobbs
United States
Franklin Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I'll see what I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Martin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here was my solution to foreign aid workers for the RAGE ccg Hellcats expansion. I just used all the usual international symbols and made up my own design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.