4 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Deterministic Dominion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Trying to determine a set of house rules that make the game completely deterministic (aside from the choice of kingdom cards and Black Market)

1) At the beginning of the game, players choose the order of their initial 10-card deck.

2) Cards go into the discard pile in the same order: the bought card, all cards played and discarded during the action phase (in order), then what remains of the player's hand.

There are some major flaws with this, most notably cards like Treasure Map being quite broken. Are there any possible improvements to this, or is a deterministic Dominion impossible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If I were you, I'd get more familiar with the basic rules of the game before I try to create complex variants. The game explicitly allows players to decide in what order the cards they have in play are discarded, which can be relevant for effects like Scheme, Treasury, Herbalist, and Alchemist, which your "(in order)" clause seems to imply is not the case. You also make no mention of discarding Treasure cards from play, implying that you are treating them as remaining in the player's hand, and are artificially imposing an order of discarding the bought card and any cards discarded during the Action phase during Cleanup, even though such cards should have been put in the discard pile long before.

At any rate, variants like this have been proposed before, and none of them work very well. As you noted with Treasure Map, anything based on combos can be quite broken, but more importantly, the largest difference between playing no-shuffling Dominion and playing regular Dominion is that the former has a ridiculous amount of analysis paralysis introduce. Far from making the game more interesting, it just ends up bogging the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Are there any possible improvements to this, or is a deterministic Dominion impossible?

I'll suggest a deterministic reshuffle; say, exactly split the deck, alternate cards from each half, then do a perfect cut.

Handwaves details. I don't claim it will be fast, unless everyone at the table can to a perfect riffle-shuffle. When I was thinking about this sort thing I'd assumed playing via computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda what we did here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.