United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to announce that Wizard's Tournament: Fantasy Deck Building Game has just been released on Kickstarter. I'm just asking you to take a look at this new and exciting game.

This is a link to the Wizard's Tournament Kickstarter Page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/139696320/wizards-tourna...

Wizard's Tournament is a fantasy deck building game of magic combat where two players attempt to defeat each other using spells, monsters, and relics. The game comes with thirty-five different sets of cards but only twelve of these card sets are randomly selected to be used during the game. These cards are added to a player's deck during the game so every time you play, it will feel like a new and exciting but balanced game.

These are links to the Wizard's Tournament prerelease forums:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/719537/wip-wizards-tournamen...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/719539/looking-for-artists-t...

Sample Card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks interesting, but I'm not so sure about the epic card size aspect. That means there aren't standard sleeves readily available, and might be a bit more clumsy to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
It looks interesting, but I'm not so sure about the epic card size aspect. That means there aren't standard sleeves readily available, and might be a bit more clumsy to shuffle.

Pretty much my exact sentiments. Also not sure I like the mixed art styles where some cards look to have an anime style and others don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are way way to big. Awkward to handle big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially with deck builders, I would go for a card size where standard sleeves are easily available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Warner
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the cards standard sized, full art with game text overlayed. The art will still be the dominant feature and you'll lose that wasted black space.

Look at other full art cards as an example... google "zekrom full art, reshiram full art" or look at the Tanto Cuore full art cards in the BGG store. There are ways to make the art more prominant beyond making the cards larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randywarner wrote:
Make the cards standard sized, full art with game text overlayed. The art will still be the dominant feature and you'll lose that wasted black space.

Look at other full art cards as an example... google "zekrom full art, reshiram full art" or look at the Tanto Cuore full art cards in the BGG store. There are ways to make the art more prominant beyond making the cards larger.

Good point, and the big black area of the card jumps out at you detracting from the art anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmassek wrote:
Good point, and the big black area of the card jumps out at you detracting from the art anyways.

If it had been aligned on the right for some types of cards and along the bottom for other types, it wouldn't be too bad, and might help to easily distinguish between a creature card and other card types.

But a layout based on whether the art is portrait or landscape is an inconsistency in design that bothers me. I should be able to fan my cards and easily read the important text and icons on all of them.

The anime art alongside the more traditional "Western" fantasy art, and the oversized cards makes it a no-go for me. The Loli art in Tanto Cuore and Barbarossa is bad enough - we don't need it leaking into other games.

Tarot-sized cards would be preferred if you want to have them larger than 3.5" x 2.5".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kato
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want everyone to know that these are not final card designs. The numbers and effects of the cards are close to the final product but the graphic design is just a starting point. I plan to hire a professional graphic designer to help me with the final design as the project evolves. The cards will have a satin finish that allows them to be easily shuffled so please don't worry about that aspect of the game.
I really like the Kickstarter system because it allows supporters to help me shape the game as a community. I don't plan to sit around taking pledges during the next sixty days. I will constantly work on making the game better because I want supporters to be proud of the final product that they receive in the mail. If you saw the difference between the original design of my first Kickstarter project, Imperial Crusade Armada, and the final product that I shipped out you would agree that a community of gamers working together on a project can turn a good game into a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamestk wrote:
If you saw the difference between the original design of my first Kickstarter project, Imperial Crusade Armada, and the final product that I shipped out you would agree that a community of gamers working together on a project can turn a good game into a great game.

I got mine this week. Amazing!* Going with the thicker ship cards was a very good call.

*Except for the box. But that's easy to upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kato
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided to change the card size for the game to normal poker sized cards because I agree with the supporters that I've talked to and the comments on this forum. It would be easier to shuffle smaller cards, the ability to get protective sleeves is very important for a deck building game, and smaller cards are easier for kids to hold.

I have redesigned all thirty six cards and you can see them all on the Wizard's Tournament Kickstarter page. I think the new design looks better than the old design, its more functional because important information is in a uniform location, and the illustrations on the new cards are the same size or larger. I want to thank everyone on this forum thread for their help because you have helped make the game better.

"Before" Card

"After" Card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Good man James, I think going to normal size would be a great move.

Also - the art that you sourced I think is absolutely wonderful. Great eye for detail man - I am looking forward to backign your project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: All bullshit and I don't know whatever I actually would had wanted bigger cards anyway. Seems nice.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Seems like all cards are standard sized now.

But as I've been advocating bigger art and cards in Thunderstone ...

And saw THIS:
http://jengames.com/images/73587e899311aae0801d7bf39774525b....

I must say I would had been one of those actually wanting bigger cards. Or think it was neat at least :)

Image look awesome regardless. Hopefully there's no linen finish if standard sized at least =P

At say 15x10 cm maybe it would had mattered less.

But then again, I know nothing about the game and whatever I'm one of your future costumers. But in a game with excellent art I'd pay extra for bigger cards =P

I assume there's less need for sleeves the bigger the cards to. Thicker card stock + say 0.5 mm damage at edges make less of a difference on a huge card than on a small one.

Edit: Excellent art in the image slideshow camouflaged as a video but what about the actual game? Top heavy girls.

Edit2: I don't know. Sound very much like Magic. Except no taping because there can't be .. It solves my biggest issue with magic: No strategy whatsoever except the time you built your deck. But I always wonder how many of each card there is (plenty?) in the deck builders and the pulling things at random is kinda weird. One currency may make it simple (good?) I suppose. Combat is very simple to.
You can only attack with ONE monster? How will you ever win in that case? If not the blocking monsters attack power must be distributed in whatever way among the attackers to, not one single monster as the text says right now.

I don't know if I would feel there was enough game. A better Magic but with less variation (in cards, more in deck(s).)

Still pretty cool =p. Don't know why I spam or think anyone care about my opinion :D, the game was well described without a video :)
just too bad it wasn't just an image gallery instead of a video, but all images seem to be there at the bottom anyway.

lol @ wizard hat :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.