Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: $149.99, really? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At CSI.

Funny thing is that I'm set to receive an email when back in stock, and I do, and I go to the site 35 minutes after it was sent, and it's already sold out, and it's shot up to $150 (from $130 a couple days ago).

Fine, I can wait. Who in their right mind pays over MSRP for a guaranteed reprint? A lot of people, apparently.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember there being a bunch of hate for fellow gamers when they were scalping copies of Eclipse right after it was released. Perhaps it was justified, depending on your view. If CSI is pulling the same stuff, though, why aren't the same people decrying that?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I remember there being a bunch of hate for fellow gamers when they were scalping copies of Eclipse right after it was released. Perhaps it was justified, depending on your view. If CSI is pulling the same stuff, though, why aren't the same people decrying that?
my first guess is at the time of both of your posts it's 11:30 pm Eastern. By CSI's store hours they are closed.
Two, it's after the holidays
Three CSI didn't come to BGG and create a thread saying they are trying to do a good thing by buying another copy for retail and upselling it. Ad manager doesn't count because (I believe so correct me if I'm wrong) they paid money to BGG which supports BGG ergo they've already helped BGG by their ad sales.
Four it's 11:30 pm.
Five if they did create the thread they already deleted it and said they screwed up and generated a new thread in an attempt at "slight of hand" and actually created a new thread that might generate interest in Eclipse while slightly alluding to their now deleted thread.
Six, ????
Seven CSI is a business and they've probably distracted the haters with their 100 dollar free shipping and we're now currently waiting for them to hurry up and deliver the late Rio Grande Products so we can get Power Grid the First Sparks on the table, especially after it held up the copy of Dungeon Run and Dungeon Petz available way before the Twenty Fifth of Decemeber 2011, So our real concerns are our other products.
Eight because it wasn't brought up to the hate squad yet
Nine they're all actually busy playing games (possibly Eclipse?)
Ten not enough hate left to dish out.

Just a theory. whistle

Did I forget to mention that it's about 11:30?1:30
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
I remember there being a bunch of hate for fellow gamers when they were scalping copies of Eclipse right after it was released. Perhaps it was justified, depending on your view. If CSI is pulling the same stuff, though, why aren't the same people decrying that?


Maybe for the same reason why I don't feel guilty about shopping at another OLGS if I see lower prices on games.. it's a business.

However, BGG is often described as a community of gamers participating in a 'Feel the Love' thread, a recommendation forum, various charity auctions, etc.. I expect the relationship to be different when dealing with a person.

On the other hand I'm open to the idea that the above is just a load of BS and people here are just as likely to make a buck off you as they are to help.


Supply and demand. If someone is willing to pay it, there is NOTHING immoral about pricing it as such. Would you be mad if I offered $200 for your old Agricola game? Or would you say "No, I'll just take $50 since that's what I paid after discount, and it's the right thing to do"? People get so bent out of shape over this kind of thing. No one has a gun to your head making you pay it.

By the way, $150 is only 50% over retail. People buy games all the time for 25-30% discount below retail... Why aren't you mad about that? Somebody is still getting the raw end of the deal here, but no one talks about it because in that case it's the retailer getting the shaft. THEY don't complain because THEY UNDERSTAND IT IS A PART OF DOING BUSINESS. Supply and demand... Econ 101.

Yeah, $150 isn't cheap, but with the world ending on 12/21/12, we probably all have bigger fish to fry.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I never said I saw anything immoral about charging above or below MSRP. What I said is that being willing to pay over MSRP for a guaranteed reprint shows a certain impatience and shortsightedness.

Whatever - to each their own. I'm perfectly fine with waiting, the whole thing just makes me roll my eyes is all. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.


ferris1971 wrote:
red black wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
I remember there being a bunch of hate for fellow gamers when they were scalping copies of Eclipse right after it was released. Perhaps it was justified, depending on your view. If CSI is pulling the same stuff, though, why aren't the same people decrying that?


Maybe for the same reason why I don't feel guilty about shopping at another OLGS if I see lower prices on games.. it's a business.

However, BGG is often described as a community of gamers participating in a 'Feel the Love' thread, a recommendation forum, various charity auctions, etc.. I expect the relationship to be different when dealing with a person.

On the other hand I'm open to the idea that the above is just a load of BS and people here are just as likely to make a buck off you as they are to help.


Supply and demand. If someone is willing to pay it, there is NOTHING immoral about pricing it as such. Would you be mad if I offered $200 for your old Agricola game? Or would you say "No, I'll just take $50 since that's what I paid after discount, and it's the right thing to do"? People get so bent out of shape over this kind of thing. No one has a gun to your head making you pay it.

By the way, $150 is only 50% over retail. People buy games all the time for 25-30% discount below retail... Why aren't you mad about that? Somebody is still getting the raw end of the deal here, but no one talks about it because in that case it's the retailer getting the shaft. THEY don't complain because THEY UNDERSTAND IT IS A PART OF DOING BUSINESS. Supply and demand... Econ 101.

Yeah, $150 isn't cheap, but with the world ending on 12/21/12, we probably all have bigger fish to fry.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this argument has been done to death so many times it's not funny.

"Damned price gougers!"

"People have a right to make money!"

I'm tired of both arguments.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They've been doing that for a while - when 7 Wonders was between printings and was hard to come by they had some copies up for more than retail. I scoffed and waited for the reprint to arrive before ordering.

Sure enough I received one of the first edition ones.


Wonders of supply and demand.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Sorry, this argument has been done to death so many times it's not funny.

"Damned price gougers!"

"People have a right to make money!"

I'm tired of both arguments.


Unsubscribe is a button away.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, why,,, why... why aren't they giving it to ME at the price I demand? It is soooooo unfair.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Oh, why,,, why... why aren't they giving it to ME at the price I demand? It is soooooo unfair.



You're missing the point by a parsec.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Rokkr wrote:
Sorry, this argument has been done to death so many times it's not funny.

"Damned price gougers!"

"People have a right to make money!"

I'm tired of both arguments.


Unsubscribe is a button away.

I'm not subscribed, but thanks for the snotty reply.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
I never said I saw anything immoral about charging above or below MSRP. What I said is that being willing to pay over MSRP for a guaranteed reprint shows a certain impatience and shortsightedness.


I (or rather the person that bought Eclipse as a gift for me) paid full retail for Eclipse, since cheap pre-sellers were sold out at that point. Is that also impatient and shortsighted? I own the game, enjoy the game and can play the game. You have to wait months. It's the same thing, especially if you aren't trying to make a moral argument about the motivations of scalpers.

If I hadn't gotten Eclipse at full retail and now faced a choice of waiting until April or paying up to $150 -- if I had a lot of money, I'd be technically willing to pay that and see it as a valid choice, except on principle -- I wouldn't want to give that $50 to someone that was scalping the game.

So OTHER THAN the moral argument, there is no difference between choosing to pay $60, $100 or $150 at different times to get the game, other than how much you value having it now, and how much money you have to spend.

I don't pay full price to see movies, since I simply don't care about most movies. For the year of 2012 I MAY pay full price to see The Hobbit and The Dark Knight. Everything else I'll wait for it to be at the $1 theater, or just not see it at all. But I'm not going to say that everyone that does go to see full price movies is "impatient and shortsighted." They just value the movie experience more than me.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess they feel the 3 or 4 months of playing the game is worth the extra 70 or so dollars to them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I got your point. Your simplistic view on markets, buyer motivations, and monies make you unable to see that some people with money will pay this price. Now, I know that everyone doesn't have the money, but then the $149 market isn't for them. They will have to do without or wait until late spring and summer. In the current game interest life-span, that is many many parsecs.

Hey, thanks for trying to tutor me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evensen
India
Chennai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I called CSI because I was surprised it was OOS by the time I looked. They are basically buying after-market copies (i.e. scalped copies) and understandably marking them up a bit. This is the reason for the high price.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
This might be a good time to point out that I have a copy up for auction that's only up to $77 at the time of this writing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:

I don't pay full price to see movies, since I simply don't care about most movies. For the year of 2012 I MAY pay full price to see The Hobbit and The Dark Knight. Everything else I'll wait for it to be at the $1 theater, or just not see it at all. But I'm not going to say that everyone that does go to see full price movies is "impatient and shortsighted." They just value the movie experience more than me.


If you just waited another 12-15 months the DVD will have come out and your local library's waitlist exhausted and you can check the movie out for FREE!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
No, I got your point. Your simplistic view on markets, buyer motivations, and monies make you unable to see that some people with money will pay this price. Now, I know that everyone doesn't have the money, but then the $149 market isn't for them. They will have to do without or wait until late spring and summer. In the current game interest life-span, that is many many parsecs.

Hey, thanks for trying to tutor me.


You're certainly quick to attribute motives. Believe it or not, I understand supply and demand. I understand that some people are willing to pay those prices, and some are not (me).

I understand it, but I'm annoyed by it - can YOU understand this? Jeez.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
No, I got your point. Your simplistic view on markets, buyer motivations, and monies make you unable to see that some people with money will pay this price. Now, I know that everyone doesn't have the money, but then the $149 market isn't for them. They will have to do without or wait until late spring and summer. In the current game interest life-span, that is many many parsecs.

Hey, thanks for trying to tutor me.


You're certainly quick to attribute motives. Believe it or not, I understand supply and demand. I understand that some people are willing to pay those prices, and some are not (me).

I understand it, but I'm annoyed by it - can YOU understand this? Jeez.


Calm down, you're both pretty.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gibolas wrote:
I guess they feel the 3 or 4 months of playing the game is worth the extra 70 or so dollars to them.



It's called the "I have to have it now" mentality of Americans. Just like Violet in Willy Wonka. "But I want it NOWWWWW!!"

Pay your $200 you idiots...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
gibolas wrote:
I guess they feel the 3 or 4 months of playing the game is worth the extra 70 or so dollars to them.



It's called the "I have to have it now" mentality of Americans. Just like Violet in Willy Wonka. "But I want it NOWWWWW!!"

Pay your $200 you idiots...


Wasn't she Brittish?
12 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
overtheboard wrote:
If you just waited another 12-15 months the DVD will have come out and your local library's waitlist exhausted and you can check the movie out for FREE!


LOL, nice. Hmm, I guess we could fire up our laser printers and scissors and play some black and white paper eclipse for like $5 of materials too, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:
gibolas wrote:
I guess they feel the 3 or 4 months of playing the game is worth the extra 70 or so dollars to them.



It's called the "I have to have it now" mentality of Americans. Just like Violet in Willy Wonka. "But I want it NOWWWWW!!"

Pay your $200 you idiots...


Wasn't she Brittish?

I think ASLChampion meant "Veruca", not "Violet", and while I'm not sure if the book actually says, the movies certainly indicate that she was indeed British.

(Violet, for what it's worth, was the gum chewer, not the spoiled brat)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been since fourth grade since I was was in that play!



(I so got to be Charlie.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being annoyed by supply and demand realities is kinda funny... much like being annoyed by war, death, entropy, and when a girlfriend tells you "Its not you, its me".

That is what I find amusing about this stance... so futile and irrelevant.

PS... Just sold one of my three copies to a buyer that obviously wanted it now. I'm not annoyed.



ScoobyG wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
No, I got your point. Your simplistic view on markets, buyer motivations, and monies make you unable to see that some people with money will pay this price. Now, I know that everyone doesn't have the money, but then the $149 market isn't for them. They will have to do without or wait until late spring and summer. In the current game interest life-span, that is many many parsecs.

Hey, thanks for trying to tutor me.


You're certainly quick to attribute motives. Believe it or not, I understand supply and demand. I understand that some people are willing to pay those prices, and some are not (me).

I understand it, but I'm annoyed by it - can YOU understand this? Jeez.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.