11 Posts

BANG! Gold Rush» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lucky Duke and Rhum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gabriel Utanes
Singapore
flag msg tools
I'm just wondering how Rhum affects Lucky Duke?

Whenever Lucky Duke "draws" he draws two cards and chooses one. Does that mean that for the 4 "draws" needed for Rhum he draws 2 draws each for a total of 8 draws?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have 4 separate drawings. You have 1 draw with 4 cards.
So I think that Rhum is independent with his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnGabriel wrote:

Whenever Lucky Duke "draws" he draws two cards and chooses one. Does that mean that for the 4 "draws" needed for Rhum he draws 2 draws each for a total of 8 draws?

I can see this working a few different ways (pick your favorite until the FAQ/Errata comes out)
Edit: Am assuming that Lucky Duke = Horseshoe, so option 2 is what I'd say happens.

1. Draw 4 cards, no bonus.

2. Draw 5 > Pick 4 (Lucky Duke counts as "Draw +1")

3. Draw 2 > Pick 1 until you've Picked 4 cards (Lucky Duke applies to EACH Draw)

Assuming the number of cards of each suit remaining in the deck is even.
Option 1 gives 2.73 Life
Option 2 gives 3.05 Life
Option 3 gives 3.23 Life
Keep in mind that unless you are the Sheriff, or one of 2 Characters from Wild West Show, that the most life you can gain is 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
JohnGabriel wrote:

I can see this working a few different ways (pick your favorite until the FAQ/Errata comes out)

1. Draw 4 cards, no bonus.

2. Draw 5 > Pick 4 (Lucky Duke counts as "Draw +1")

3. Draw 2 > Pick 1 until you've Picked 4 cards (Lucky Duke applies to EACH Draw)

Assuming the number of cards of each suit remaining in the deck is even.
Option 1 gives 2.73 Life
Option 2 gives 3.05 Life
Option 3 gives ....I don't have the qualifications to figure this one out in a meaningful time frame.... We'll just say 3.5...

3. is incorrect in 100%. You have one drawing of 4 cards, not 4 drawings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:

3. is incorrect in 100%. You have one drawing of 4 cards, not 4 drawings.

This is the first/only card to DRAW! multiple times. And the rules don't elaborate on it.

"Draw 2>Pick 1"-Four times is a potential interpretation of the interaction, and until a FAQ or something comes out all we have are interpretations.

Lucky Duke:
Quote:
Each time he "DRAWS!", he flips the top two cards and chooses one.

Rhum:
Quote:
"DRAW!" 4 cards: you regain 1 life point for each different suit.

They both reference "DRAW!", which is a defined game action. But the wordings conflict (mostly because Rhum is the first/only card to multi-DRAW!).

If you would go STRICTLY by wording:
Rhum says to DRAW! 4 cards. Lucky Duke replaces the entire DRAW! with looking at 2 cards and choosing 1, thus only gaining 1 life from Rhum.
This is obviously a stupid interpretation, but it is the most rules strict one.

The first option I listed is assuming Lucky Duke means "If you would DRAW! one card..."
The second option assumes Lucky Duke means "If you would DRAW!, you pick up 1 extra card, and then choose 1 card to ignore"
The third option assumes Rhum means "DRAW! DRAW! DRAW! DRAW!: You gain 1 life.....".

All of them are valid interpretations of the rules, as they stand, that any gaming group might come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy of Gold Rush the other day.
The Horseshoe card reads:
Quote:
Each time you "draw!", flip one additional card and choose the result.

This is close enough to Lucky Duke's ability that we can assume they are the same ability (with updated wording).

So to answer the question as definitively as possible:

Lucky Duke with Rhum picks up 5 Cards and chooses the 4 he wants to use.
Lucky Duke with a Horseshoe and Rhum picks up 6 cards and chooses the 4 he wants to use.

Rhum as is gives 2.7 life on average.
Lucky Duke OR Horseshoe gives 3.1 on average.
Lucky Duke AND Horseshoe gives 3.3 on average.
*Values are NOT 100% accurate, but they are close enough for comparison purposes.
*They presume purely random distribution of cards, and that removing any from the pool does NOT effect subsequent draws (calculated as: taking a Heart does NOT effect the odds of drawing another Heart, whereas in actuality it would affect the odds). The actual average amount gained would be HIGHER then listed values.
*Also, most characters have 3 or 4 max life points, limiting them to only gaining 2 or 3 life at the most, this would LOWER the listed values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maligno Cattiveri
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think wording is the clue here.

Lucky Duke card says that each time he has to draw!, flips the top two cards and chooses one.

Horseshoe card says that each time the player has to draw!, flips one additional card and chooses.

So if in future expansions there's a card that makes the player flip three cards, Lucky Duke will still get two cards to flip.

What they meant in Lucky Duke's ability probably was the Horseshoe effect, but we can't play as we think they meant, so unless there is further official clarification, I'd say:

- Rum with Lucky Duke: Flips 2 cards.
- Rum with Lucky Duke with a Horseshoe: Flips 3 cards.
- Rum with a Horseshoe: Flips 5 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maligno wrote:

Lucky Duke card says that each time he has to draw!, flips the top two cards and chooses one.

Horseshoe card says that each time the player has to draw!, flips one additional card and chooses.

My point is that Lucky Duke was made WAY before they ever considered "Multi-Draw" cards.
Currently Rhum is the only Multi-Draw card. For every other Draw! card Lucky Duke winds up working identical to the Horseshoe. So it makes sense that Lucky Duke could be reworded the same.
Otherwise Rhum just becomes a VERY expensive Beer for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maligno Cattiveri
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Maligno wrote:

My point is that Lucky Duke was made WAY before they ever considered "Multi-Draw" cards.
Currently Rhum is the only Multi-Draw card. For every other Draw! card Lucky Duke winds up working identical to the Horseshoe. So it makes sense that Lucky Duke could be reworded the same.
Otherwise Rhum just becomes a VERY expensive Beer for him.

I understand what you mean, as there weren't any multi-draw! cards the wording was enough back then. As I said probably Lucky Duke's ability was meant to be the same as Horseshoe... Nevertheless I still think we should abide by the wording here until DaVinci, Emiliano or other official source clarifies it via FAQ or Bang! 5th ed reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dV Giochi
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,
sorry for the huge delay! whistle

Lucky Duke's ability was intended to allow him to "draw" one additional card whenever he "draws"; basically it's the same effect of Horseshoe!
This means that Lucky Duke's + Rhum = he reveals 5 cards instead of 4 ; and Lucky Duke + Horseshoe + Rhum = he reveals 6 cards instead of 4.

Hope this will help

Have fun

Martino Chiacchiera
Junior Editor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dVGiochi wrote:
sorry for the huge delay! whistle

Lucky Duke's ability was intended to allow him to "draw" one additional card whenever he "draws"; basically it's the same effect of Horseshoe!

Three and some years late, but....

VICTORY IS MINE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.