Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Days of Decision III» Forums » Rules

Subject: US7 - Hawaii becomes the 49th state rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand this option card. It says that "After playing this option, the Hawaiian islands are now considered part of the US home country except for the placement of reinforcements."

How should this be interpreted? Is Hawaii not part of the US home country before this card is played? There is no mention of this under "Control" in section 16.1 of the DoD rules.

Basically, what rules apply to Hawaii before the US play this card, and what rules apply after they play it?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamukk wrote:
I do not understand this option card. It says that "After playing this option, the Hawaiian islands are now considered part of the US home country except for the placement of reinforcements."

How should this be interpreted? Is Hawaii not part of the US home country before this card is played? There is no mention of this under "Control" in section 16.1 of the DoD rules.

Basically, what rules apply to Hawaii before the US play this card, and what rules apply after they play it?



I'll only answer the historical aspect. No, they were not a part of the states before the 1950's (actually 1959). So, they should be treated like any other possession, ie. Guam, Wake, Alaska, etc.

I'll let others answer how it is affected in DoD, as it's been a while.
Jason
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So one interpretation of this card would be that the US player can now place reinforcements directly in Honolulu, as opposed to before? The price tag of 30 for this card seems a bit hefty for this. Oh well, let us just sit down and wait for wifwendell to clarify things for us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Popovich
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Until this is played, Hawaii is just a territory (most important when playing with World in Flames integrated).

While you may not play reinforcements there, when it is a state, if it has enemy units in or attacking in it, it gives production bonuses, and is a supply source withouth having to trace back to the US.

It is an expensive option, rarely played in my experience.

Bill Popovich
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
billpop1 wrote:
Until this is played, Hawaii is just a territory (most important when playing with World in Flames integrated).

While you may not play reinforcements there, when it is a state, if it has enemy units in or attacking in it, it gives production bonuses, and is a supply source withouth having to trace back to the US.

It is an expensive option, rarely played in my experience.

Bill Popovich


Hey Bill welcome to BGG!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
billpop1 wrote:
Until this is played, Hawaii is just a territory (most important when playing with World in Flames integrated).

While you may not play reinforcements there, when it is a state, if it has enemy units in or attacking in it, it gives production bonuses, and is a supply source withouth having to trace back to the US.

It is an expensive option, rarely played in my experience.

Bill Popovich

Yes, but the rules specify that if I play this option I typically have to place a lot of naval reinforcements there, so naval reinforcements can definitely be placed in Hawaii. What about ground or air units?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Without referring to the rules, I think you have to move naval units there. The whole point is that you cannot reinforce directly into Hawaii unless you play this option.

This really only has an effect when combining with WIFFE as it saves a turn moving naval units out from the West Coast, and also means that you can directly place land units there and there is an additional +1 on any notional unit defending against invasion. This is very useful if you have a frisky Japanese player who is threatening the islands.

And welcome to Bill!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nailsworthnobby wrote:

Without referring to the rules, I think you have to move naval units there. The whole point is that you cannot reinforce directly into Hawaii unless you play this option.

If we are playing with 15.10 (WiFFE US Entry), how would you say that the US Entry option "Relocate Fleet to Pearl Harbor" relates to this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamukk wrote:
nailsworthnobby wrote:

Without referring to the rules, I think you have to move naval units there. The whole point is that you cannot reinforce directly into Hawaii unless you play this option.

If we are playing with 15.10 (WiFFE US Entry), how would you say that the US Entry option "Relocate Fleet to Pearl Harbor" relates to this?


The option means that you can choose to move naval units to Hawaii. Until you play the option, you can't - as in a straight WiFFE game. If you are playing the WiFFE entry with DoD, you are limited by both sets of rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nailsworthnobby wrote:
The option means that you can choose to move naval units to Hawaii. Until you play the option, you can't - as in a straight WiFFE game. If you are playing the WiFFE entry with DoD, you are limited by both sets of rules.

Are you sure about this, that I cannot move naval units to Hawaii before I play this? Because in the rules for US7, it says the following:

Quote:
The USA may only play this option if her PM is 1/4 or higher and at least half of her naval points (WiFFE: half the on map US naval units in build points, excluding convoy points) are located in Honolulu.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I think you have play USE Option 26 first to move units to Hawaii. Once you have the requisite number of units there (half your ships in build point value) and you PM is 1/4 then you can play US7.

I'm not sure if you can actually place land and air reinforcements into Parl Harbour even once you have played US7. But it does confer the benfit of being a MP home country hex.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.