Liberté» Forums » General

Subject: So...does this work with 3 well or we are just playing badly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I have tried Liberté a couple of times with three players and the experience was kind of lacking, we drew a lot of cards and cicled the deck very quickly. Is this common in 3P games or are we too conservative and trapped into groupthink?

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played twice. Both times with 5 players and both times it was fun. I wouldn't want to play with 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have more than 50 games, and 90% of them were with 3 players

I really like it with 3 it is more "controllable".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
brainst0rm wrote:
I have more than 50 games, and 90% of them were with 3 players

I really like it with 3 it is more "controllable".

So would you say it's normal to draw so many cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
General consensus is it works best with one more than the number of "things", factions in this case.

One thing the Revolution wasn't was "controllable" so that seems thematic to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a ton with 3 and the game works very well.

By "controllable", I think Carlos just means that with 3 players, you get to play on average 1/3 of the cards as opposed to 5 player which would only be 1/5 of the cards. Thus you've got 50% more "control" over the board. This is just inherent with having a smaller number of players.

With regards to drawing, if you have a good hand then you should be playing cards. If you don't, well then draw until you do to make the best of it. I haven't kept detailed records, but maybe half the time we have to reshuffle the deck. It's really quite variable. If you do have a good hand, there are ways to pile up/keep blocks on the board that you need to exploit so that there are few blocks you need to play the next turn. I would suggest that these are rather subtle strategies that maybe new players don't get right away. As a consequence there's lots of blocks in the supply, so that the turns go longer, so more cards are drawn and you'd almost assuridly get through the deck. It can be very frustrating to have the turn end with only 5 plays.

Oh, and I would Not use the "dagger" variant as I think the game is much, much better without it (as explained in my recent post).

This is one of my groups favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3 works, but having more than 3 probably gives it more of the chaotic feel since only 3 stacks can be in the same space, thus locking some players out of some spaces. Plus the amount of Terror and Guillotine that would be going would go up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.