United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if it started as a joke, but I'm liking this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be sorry, I'm sold already meeple

My only fear is that if they use quotes from the series, they use the stupid German dubbings - in that case I have to wait for an English edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Going where no Catan has gone before! laugh

I vote yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally on board for this. Please bring it to the U.S.!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the feeling that, like all truly great and all truly terrible ideas, alcohol featured prominently in creating this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think this is a joke.

Quote:
Star Trek Catan takes two well-known media properties and merges them into, well, into something that is 95% The Settlers of Catan glossed with Trek tropes and spiced with new special powers related to Trek personalities.

In Star Trek Catan, players start the game with two small space stations at the intersection of three planets, with each planet supplying resources based on the result of a dice roll. Players collect and trade these resources - Dilithium, Tritanium, food, oxygen and water - in order to build spaceships that connect regions in the galaxy, establish small and large space stations at new intersection points in order to increase resource acquisition, and acquire development cards that provide victory points (VPs) or special abilities.

First, since when did planets have "intersections"? Is this supposed to be one solar system? One sector of the galaxy? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Second, since when do Constellation Class Federation vessels act as cargo transports? And in what Star Trek universe are food, water and oxygen rare enough to harvest and trade them? Can't they just be replicated? Wasn't malnutrition, most diseases, etc, solved long before the 23rd century?

Quote:
On a dice roll of 7, a Klingon ship swoops in to prevent resource production on one planet, while taxing spacegoers who hold too many resources.

OK. I'm curious what's going to make the Klingon ship leave. Obviously not combat...

Quote:
The one new element in Star Trek Catan compared to the Settlers version is a set of character cards, each featuring one of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu, Scott, Uhura, Chekov, Chapel, Rand or Sarek. Each character card has two special powers that the holder can use on his turn, such as a forced trade.

'Cause all of those characters are definitely merchants... (?)

I don't get it. I'm a big Trek fan, and I just can't see how this theme could be applied (well) to Catan. It just doesn't make sense. Besides, it's a horrible name. Why not "Star Trek: Settlers" (e.g. "colonization") or something that at least exists in the Star Trek universe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78, Don't be a hater! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. OK, I hope this is for real. The ships and star bases look cool. I could use the components in other games...

*edit* I'm holding out for "Ticket to Ride: Vulcan" and "Carcassonne: Deep Space Nine".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mills
United States
Tyronza
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
iNano78 wrote:
First, since when did planets have "intersections"? Is this supposed to be one solar system? One sector of the galaxy? Doesn't seem to make sense.

The intersections are probably Lagrange points in deep space.

iNano78 wrote:
Second, since when do Constellation Class Federation vessels act as cargo transports? And in what Star Trek universe are food, water and oxygen rare enough to harvest and trade them? Can't they just be replicated? Wasn't malnutrition, most diseases, etc, solved long before the 23rd century?

The Constellation Class vessels could be protecting a convoy of merchant vessels. And if the construction is taking place in deep space, then said replicators haven't been built at the location yet, so these essentials must be carried to the construction site the old-fashioned way.[/q]

Quote:
OK. I'm curious what's going to make the Klingon ship leave. Obviously not combat...

Intimidation.

Quote:
'Cause all of those characters are definitely merchants... (?)

Special player powers are too cool to be assigned to mere merchants. They need something more worthy of the honor.

Quote:
I don't get it. I'm a big Trek fan, and I just can't see how this theme could be applied (well) to Catan. It just doesn't make sense. Besides, it's a horrible name. Why not "Star Trek: Settlers" (e.g. "colonization") or something that at least exists in the Star Trek universe?

Obviously this isn't meant to be canonical. It's just whimsical fun, so take it with a grain of salt and don't expect ironclad consistency (especially since the episodes themselves aren't internally consistent anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

Recognition. "Settlers" can be anything. "Catan" is what brings out this game system to our minds. "Star Trek: Settlers" could be a million different things. "Star Trek Catan" is much more obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally a theme that makes me wanna play Settlers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two reasons why I think this is awesome.

1. The Motion Picture Era has the sexiest designs of all Trek. The Refit constitution in particular.

2. There won't be any sheep-for-wood sniggles around the table when we play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

I thought it was a joke too... Till I saw the shot of it. Then I thought "no way, that's a cheap way to re-sell Catan". But then I thought "But it is Star Trek..." And then I thought "And it does have plastic chrome and neat art." THEN I thought "I should keep a watch on this game." And then I posted this post... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it is not a joke....it's a joke. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless marketing.

What's next? Star Wars Monopoly?

Oh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another way to milk the Settlers cow... whistle

Rumor has it that the next title in the series will be:

The Settlers and the Snowwhite

followed by:

The Age of Settlers

and then:

Settlers of the Deep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FaydeShift wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I thought it was a joke too... Till I saw the shot of it. Then I thought "no way, that's a cheap way to re-sell Catan". But then I thought "But it is Star Trek..." And then I thought "And it does have plastic chrome and neat art." THEN I thought "I should keep a watch on this game." And then I posted this post... ninja

Putting aside my complaining about it not being Starfarers...
Settlers of Catan is entirely about civilization-building. One does not get to blow things up, or kill, or brutalize... doesn't that kinda overshadow the cool art aspect a bit? What's the point of awesome-looking plastic pieces if you can't destroy them? Just sayin'...

-"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodTypo wrote:
[q="iNano78"]
Quote:

Obviously this isn't meant to be canonical. It's just whimsical fun, so take it with a grain of salt and don't expect ironclad consistency (especially since the episodes themselves aren't internally consistent anyway).

Can you say, "James R. Kirk"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

Second, since when do Constellation Class Federation vessels act as cargo transports? And in what Star Trek universe are food, water and oxygen rare enough to harvest and trade them?

When there is The Trouble with Tribbles.

"do you know there are tribbles in the quadrotriticale?"

(no, but you hum it and I'll play along)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:

"do you know there are tribbles in the quadrotriticale?"

Quadrotriticale ... wasn't that a Russian invention? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Mann
United States
Springerville
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyet. Was Russian inWention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.