Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of my ships are slightly bent, either curving up at one end or sometimes bending upwards midship (torpedo hit?!?). I've read that wonky plastics can be straightened out by immersing them in hot water and reshaping them, but before making a costly mistake I wondered:

1) Has anyone tried this with ships from this game (and does it work)?
2) Any tips on how hot the water should be, and how long to immerse the models for?

Thanks for any advice on offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danmer wrote:
A few of my ships are slightly bent, either curving up at one end or sometimes bending upwards midship (torpedo hit?!?). I've read that wonky plastics can be straightened out by immersing them in hot water and reshaping them, but before making a costly mistake I wondered:

1) Has anyone tried this with ships from this game (and does it work)?
2) Any tips on how hot the water should be, and how long to immerse the models for?

Thanks for any advice on offer!

Most common with the destroyers, and you should have enough of those to experiment a bit before you have to do anything with one of the more valuable models. The water should be too hot to touch but not boiling. You only need them in the water for a short while. Take them out and straighten them and then run them under cold water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd be suprised if your battleships were wonky - this should only be a problem with light cruisers and smaller - since these are the ships cast in softer plastic. Battleships, carriers and heavy cruisers (plus older light cruisers) are all cast in hard plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Seth, I will give that a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew, I was being alliterative rather than literal, but should have chosen my words more carefully for clarity. It's not the hard plastic I've had problems with, it's the smaller ships in softer plastic, as you say. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah that's okay then - in the case of bent hard plastic (or anything else unfixable that might come up) I'd send them off to WotC customer support and they'll provide replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.