Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This little Swede is heading towards ze big apple soon. What game stores do you recommend I visit? Wargame stores are of particular interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist on E. 33rd street is essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist is the only games specific shop in Manhattan. It is pretty cool.

It's also just down the block from one of the best comic shops in NYC, Jim Hanley's Universe.

The only other board games store I know in of in NYC is King Games out in Brooklyn on the Q subway line at the Kings Highway stop, but they don't have nearly as many games for sale. What they do have is open board gaming nights every Thursday. I live near there, but I haven't made it out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Be prepared - everything in the Strat is MSRP or slightly higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Ok. Still, I'm sure it'll be cheap as hell compared to Swedish prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Ok. Still, I'm sure it'll be cheap as hell compared to Swedish prices.

Probably. Enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph K.
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard of one more, although I haven't been there yet. When I go back home (New York State) I will visit them. Thursday night seems to be Board Game Night!

www.twentysidedstore.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Compleat Strategist often, but I'm always angry at myself for paying MSRP there. They're not the friendliest bunch, and haven't quite grasped the idea of "customer service."

I do love the place, though. They haven an incredible collection, and you can easily spend an hour just browsing. It gets pretty busy around closing time, so keep that in mind if you want a pleasant shopping experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
hypostatic wrote:
I'm in Compleat Strategist often, but I'm always angry at myself for paying MSRP there. They're not the friendliest bunch, and haven't quite grasped the idea of "customer service."

My sentiments exactly. I work a few blocks away, pass the place almost everyday, and still order online. High prices, unfriendly - not my sort of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merstian

New York
msg tools
I went recently to the compleat strat and was all smiles and so excited to pick up castle ravenloft, but the guy at the register was cold and extremely unimpressed with my presence. I felt like a street urchin in a sweet shop. but, still I know I'll be back as its right by my work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from one guy, everyone I run into at the Strategist has been friendly and helpful. Also, for whatever it's worth, there is a decent 50% off section in the back, right of the store. Current games as of, um, Tuesday of this week include Isla Dorado, Planet Steam, Pelloponnes (sp) (first edition) and at least a dozen other games.

I've been cutting down on online ordering as "meeting the free-shipping threshold" seems to be artificially expanding our collection. So I'm not minding paying full MSRP at the Strat -- especially when they get a game in that doesn't seem to be showing up at the online stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Also, for whatever it's worth, there is a decent 50% off section in the back, right of the store. Current games as of, um, Tuesday of this week include Isla Dorado, Planet Steam, Pelloponnes (sp) (first edition) and at least a dozen other games.

That just might be enough to convince me to check them out in my NYC trip in April... thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Apart from one guy, everyone I run into at the Strategist has been friendly and helpful.

Yes.

One of my first visits I asked for help and received excellent help (including some recommendations). This guy always seems to be helping someone when I'm in there.

The not-so-friendly guy has waited on me a few times to. He doesn't bother me, but I can see how he'd be offputting.

I only buy there occasionally because of the prices. The sale shelf is definitely worth a look.

(Also, there's a great bar across the street if you're also a beer geek.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmorneau wrote:

What's the name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
davidmorneau wrote:

What's the name?

Rattle and Hum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dropped by there when I visited NY a year ago and figured that the prices converted to approximately the same as the cheaper online stores in Australia (games are more expensive here in general). So I went ahead and bought three, just for the fun of having purchased some of my collection overseas. I was rather shocked when they told me the price at the counter...apparently there's a tax that gets added, which isn't listed on the pricetag. In the end I probably paid more than I would have at home!

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegs wrote:
I dropped by there when I visited NY a year ago and figured that the prices converted to approximately the same as the cheaper online stores in Australia (games are more expensive here in general). So I went ahead and bought three, just for the fun of having purchased some of my collection overseas. I was rather shocked when they told me the price at the counter...apparently there's a tax that gets added, which isn't listed on the pricetag. In the end I probably paid more than I would have at home!

Edit: spelling

Yeah, in the US we have a state sales tax. It's set by each state, so it can vary (but usually 5 or 6%), and is calculated during purchase, so it's not on the price tag.

What makes no sense is that you pay the tax in person, but if you buy something online from out of state and get it shipped to you, you don't pay the tax. But if you buy online from IN-state and get it shipped to you, you have to pay tax. So in the end it actually encourages you to support financially other states than your own.

Anyway if you're ever in the US again, and you're here for more than a couple days, it'd probably be worth your while to buy online, if you can cobble together a free-shipping order. Some places ship pretty fast, like CSI I usually get orders from in a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Yeah, in the US we have a state sales tax. It's set by each state, so it can vary (but usually 5 or 6%), and is calculated during purchase, so it's not on the price tag.

In Sweden that number is 25% for most things that are not food or books. So I'll be a happy camper even with the sales tax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.