Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I'm thinking here.. pretty much everybody has a PC. I know very, very few people who don't have one.

The number of people who own an iPad are in the VAST minority. I, and most people I know, will likely never own one because we pretty much see them as a $500 toy that doesn't do anything we can't do easier and cheaper on a PC or laptop.

So why have game companies been going nuts over this thing? There has been a HUGE market for computerized gaming that they have completely ignored, but now that this gadget that almost nobody actually owns comes out they go crazy over it?

I can think of no reason to own one other than to game on, and I could buy around a dozen good physical games for the price of the gadget, so that's not gonna happen. So frustrating.
38 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
So why have game companies been going nuts over this thing?


I don't carry a PC to every restaurant I go. But my wife has an iPad that comes out when we wait for food and we play.

As far as price, the iPad is far cheaper than physical games.

Lets say a game is 40 bucks. If you want 50 games, that's $2K.

An iPad is $400 (is it - I don't even know). Add 50 games and you're under $500.
46 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a multipurpose device. I think the strength of things in that arena (not necessarily iOS) is that it's very portable and there exists a plethora of applications which add enough functionality to bend the device to your needs. By being a little less than a laptop, for instance, it provides the essentials for what folks want with less complexity.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
OK, so I'm thinking here.. pretty much everybody has a PC. I know very, very few people who don't have one.

The number of people who own an iPad are in the VAST minority. I, and most people I know, will likely never own one because we pretty much see them as a $500 toy that doesn't do anything we can't do easier and cheaper on a PC or laptop.

So why have game companies been going nuts over this thing? There has been a HUGE market for computerized gaming that they have completely ignored, but now that this gadget that almost nobody actually owns comes out they go crazy over it?

I can think of no reason to own one other than to game on, and I could buy around a dozen good physical games for the price of the gadget, so that's not gonna happen. So frustrating.


Geeks tends to be early adaptors, so they will buy apps etc. And the publishers of games are mostly geeks too

(Not that I would have bought this iPad but work gave me one for christmas so...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the incrementalist nature of App Store purchases. I know on my Android devices I've purchased a lot of apps from $1.99 to $7.99 without giving them too much thought. I don't know how much I've spent since I got my first Android device, and I probably don't want to know. I do a lot more research when I'm about to spend $20 to $60 on a board game. All those little App Store purchases really add up for developers and publishers.

There's also the close relation of the iPad (or any tablet) to an actual board. The medium translates well. A lot of people who would never consider themselves board gamers are playing board games on their iPads without even realizing it. It's a great new market for a traditional idea.

I just wish there were more board games available on Android.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the hard facts, but I'm guessing they develop for iOS because that's where the money is... why else does a business do anything? There are already a multitude of web-based boardgaming sites and the ever present Vassal modules for PC gamers.

Other than that speculation, no idea.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The iPad is a complete package for development ... You have the app store, a single place to sell through (which PCs don't have), you have a unified hardware/software environment (which PCs don't have), it's more portable and easier to pass and play than a laptop, etc.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
The iPad is a complete package for development ... You have the app store, a single place to sell through (which PCs don't have), you have a unified hardware/software environment (which PCs don't have), it's more portable and easier to pass and play than a laptop, etc.


Whoa. Hang on. You can actually develop on the iPad? I thought you needed other Apple thingys in order to do that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

I can think of no reason to own one other than to game on, and I could buy around a dozen good physical games for the price of the gadget, so that's not gonna happen. So frustrating.


Why is it frustrating ? or better : why do you even care that companies are developing iOS ports of their boardgames if you say that you won't ever own one ? It's like ranting against Starbuck's prices while not being a coffee drinker. Makes no sense to me.

27 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakal323 wrote:
dysjunct wrote:
The iPad is a complete package for development ... You have the app store, a single place to sell through (which PCs don't have), you have a unified hardware/software environment (which PCs don't have), it's more portable and easier to pass and play than a laptop, etc.


Whoa. Hang on. You can actually develop on the iPad? I thought you needed other Apple thingys in order to do that.


I mean, complete package from a developer's point of view.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The market is such right now that if you put an "i" in front of a brick's name and put an Apple logo on it and priced it 100$, hundred of thousands of people would buy it.

I am exagerating of course, but not by much.

Tablet PCs existed for years before the iPad, yet only because Apple said we needed one that the market finally was developped.

Same with the MP3 players / iPods and the smart phones / iPhone.

The thing is, once you buy an iOS product and from the AppStore, you "own" software that you can only access through an Apple product. You get essentially "stuck" buying only Apple products unless you stop using the software you bought from their store completely.
Brand loyalty becomes very strong because of that.

And now... most big corporations have thrown-in the same marketting, wether is the PlayStation network, XBox Live, Android market, Blackberry or even Kindle.
If you buy software from one of them, you are "stuck" with their products unless you agree to not use that software anymore.

Once you have spent over 500$ with one of those companies, you start listening to every announcement they make and you get hyped by the next thing they will release, whatever the product might be.

Of course, the thing being so closed to outside access, it means piracy is much more difficult to achieve. Developpers like platforms where piracy is more difficult.
It's also somewhat difficult and at least a lenghty process for a company to get registered with Apple to be able to put their applications on their store. From experience, they ask insane questions about your status (it took us months to get through that).
If you went all the way through that painful registration process, it means you trully want a return on your investment, so you WILL develop for iOS. You will hype the thing, make publicity for it and try to make it pass as the next best thing since Twilight Imperium 3 was released.

So really, that's it. Successful marketing by Apple and people "trapped" with their products, both developpers and users that mostly don't realize they actually are trapped.

I will agree, however, that their products work really well and are of a good quality. I am "stuck" with an iPhone for work. I don't like Apple, but the phone at least works really good.

As a side-note: I, myself, am trapped with Microsoft because of my Xbox. It gets kind of annoying at times, but in today's market you can't really avoid getting stuck with a corporation one way or another. Yeah, i could "switch", but would lose everything i got from them in the process.
33 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

I can think of no reason to own one other than to game on, and I could buy around a dozen good physical games for the price of the gadget, so that's not gonna happen. So frustrating.


Why is it frustrating ? or better : why do you even care that companies are developing iOS ports of their boardgames if you say that you won't ever own one ? It's like ranting against Starbuck's prices while not being a coffee drinker. Makes no sense to me.



I get where the OP is coming from. It's like when I played videogames a lot, and multiplayer was becoming trendy. Two things happened - the single-player campaigns got less attention and game reviews would actually lower scores if a game didn't include multiplayer. It was a weird disconnect... I'm over here in the hobby, but people are paying more attention to something shiny over there. With that comes a concern about how the publishers will alter their behavior and how that might negatively impact his enjoyment of the hobby.
20 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
It's like ranting against Starbuck's prices while not being a coffee drinker. Makes no sense to me.


Not quite, it's more like ranting that all the companies that make coffee won't sell it anywhere except Starbucks, even if there are millions of places that have the ability to sell coffee and have had that ability for decades.

[Edit] OH, and that to buy a cup of coffee, you first have to buy a special $400+ cup to have your coffee poured in. You can't just use any cup.
27 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D
Canada
flag msg tools
Take a look at this post:

http://www.asymco.com/2011/11/16/the-end-of-the-dedicated-po...

and scroll down to the small graph for "Number of game titles sold in million" and I think you'll get part of your answer.

I still know plenty of people with a PC, but nearly everyone who does also has some sort of IOS device. Nearly all of them plan on replacing their PC with a Mac when it comes time to upgrade. Over 250 million IOS devices have been sold (as of October 2011).

Personally, I work on a computer all day (and I also work from home), so it's nice to play/read/browse the internet away from my computer - and the iPad is perfect for that. I can watch TV on the couch and use it. I've got many friends I play boardgames with, that live 2 hours away by car - so it's nice to be able to play a quick game with them on the iPad. The touch interface works great for a lot of games (especially boardgames, I find).

To be honest, I bought an iPad for development work, but it has gotten a ton more use than I expected. It really excels at reading PDF documents - which I do a lot of (tech books, mostly)

As for the iPhone - how great is it that I can play a quick game while I'm waiting for a haircut, or in a long line at the grocery store? Plus, I don't have to do this with a dedicated device - I can use the cellphone that is in my pocket.

For developers - it's a huge market - they keep making more games too, so I'm guessing it's been a profitable market as well. Plus, all financial and distribution handling is provided by Apple, so you can spend more time working on games, and less on figuring out how you're going to get your game into peoples hands.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gougeaway wrote:
Take a look at this post:

http://www.asymco.com/2011/11/16/the-end-of-the-dedicated-po...

and scroll down to the small graph for "Number of game titles sold in million" and I think you'll get part of your answer.


Well, except that chart is comparing iOS sales to sales against the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP.

[Edit] A quick search for PC game sales brought up a number of about $18billion in sales just in 2011. Not "since launch in 2007" like the above chart, which even for that entire time total was only 12billion. That's way, WAY less than PC game sales it seems like, so that logic isn't holding water for me either.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Use one for a month and you'll get it.
40 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
From experience, they ask insane questions about your status (it took us months to get through that). If you went all the way through that painful registration process, it means you trully want a return on your investment, so you WILL develop for iOS.


Odd.. I think all I had to do was fill in a web form, pay the fee, and wait a couple of hours for an e-mail to arrive saying "Congratulations, you're an iOS developer". Maybe things have changed since then.

I don't really think people are "trapped" with one brand of technology any more than they have been since Atari was on the go in the 70s... Ever tried getting one of your 2600/VCS carts to run on an intellivison?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PC\Mac already has a huge board game selection... it's all over the internet... Yucata, BSW, yourturnmyturn... etc.

iOS is the fastest growing market, ever. However most of these websites don't work very well on these tablets (iOS or Android). iOS and Android could easily get equal share of these digital board game reproductions, but for now with iOS in pretty much a 2:1 (or more) lead... they'll get the most attention and games for now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
It's like ranting against Starbuck's prices while not being a coffee drinker. Makes no sense to me.


Not quite, it's more like ranting that all the companies that make coffee won't sell it anywhere except Starbucks, even if there are millions of places that have the ability to sell coffee and have had that ability for decades.

[Edit] OH, and that to buy a cup of coffee, you first have to buy a special $400+ cup to have your coffee poured in. You can't just use any cup.


So, you want to drink coffee - ok, scratch that analogy - you want to play digital boardgames, but don't want to play it on what's hands down the best device on the market for playing digital boardgames ?

Still doesn't compute.

Look, I'm no Apple fanboy, I'm an IT guy who's been working all his life with M$ products from Dos 2.11 onwards and I wouldn't trade my trusty Vista laptop for anything else, but the iPad simply works better for surfing the 'net from the couch, reading digital magazines and ... for playing digital boardgames. The thing is simply made for it.

I know this is hard to believe, but do as I did : I got convinced/converted when I borrowed an iPad for a night from a friend.

Next day I was on a shop's waiting list getting one for myself.

18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
deedob wrote:
... yet only because Apple said we needed one that the market finally was developped...

Same with the MP3 players / iPods and the smart phones / iPhone.


They must have put something in the water, right?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear, here we go again.

Geeksplosion Imminent!!!!

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Rocher
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Current Holder of FITZ the Cursing Dice!
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
although everyone seems to have a pc, be it a laptop, or a desktop, or a netbook, but already the ios devices have eclipsed them in numbers, plus it never hurts that when i lay the ipad down on a table, it uses the same textile feelings as selecting a counter and sliding it across the play area, the same as my old boardgames, and for alot less, and no worry about storage or buying old pricey games from ebay collectors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Use one for a month and you'll get it.


Use one for 1 to 2 weeks and you'll get it.

Use one for a month and you will be inseparable.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D
Canada
flag msg tools
Shadoglare wrote:
Well, except that chart is comparing iOS sales to sales against the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP.


It wasn't presented to say that they shouldn't be making games for PCs, but I think it answers:

Shadoglare wrote:
So why have game companies been going nuts over this thing?


I think maybe you're underestimating how much of a boon the idea of the App store is for developers (especially smaller niche ones - like boardgame developers tend to be). Having another company handle all your financial transactions, and provide an easy way to get your product to customers is a huge plus. I think this is the number one reason for IOS success, and probably the main answer to your question. With the introduction of Microsofts PC app store, you'll probably see smaller developers start developing for that - although it hasn't really happened with the Mac App Store yet, which probably has a lot to do with how great touch is as a medium for a lot of these games.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own an iPad for my business and have used it at client lunch meetings to show them figures, spreadsheets, graphs, etc., and it's VERY convenient to do so.

The SECONDARY benefit for me is the gaming aspect of the iPad. I also have dozens of game rule books and scenario books for my war games on the device and it takes up way less space at my gaming table than my laptop.

Yes, it's an expensive device (relative to what your definition of expensive is), but it serves the main purpose of why I bought it. It just happens to do alot of other things I like too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.