Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have been trying doubling the victory points to win but the vps you get for destroying a ship is now it's size. Combat is now virtually mandatory to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very interesting idea. Will have to try that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the objective of this variant is to increase the amount of combat as compared to science/influence actions? So far, I haven't seen combat to be lacking in my games (except for one game where I had the Maht-h'a, and 4 of 5 combat missions were on the bottom of my deck). I've even had a game where the Feds got 7 of 10 VP from combat missions/kills, even though they didn't have many combat missions in their deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just tried doubling the VP requirements without increasing the "size" of the fleet, and it worked really well. We kept the VP for destroying a ship at 1 (regardless of ship size). We doubled the number of each type of mission card listed for each ship (so a "size 10" fleet has a mission deck with 20 cards instead of 10, and we played to 20 VPs). This way, even if/when the Federation gets off to a 5-6 point lead after turn 2 or 3, the Klingons have a chance to hunt them down and catch up in the VPs. And the mission decks don't run out too quickly. A 20 point game with "size 10" fleet now takes us 2-3 hours (not including set up time + ship and deck drafting)... and after a couple of games, it seems more balanced between the factions.

(I agree that combat hasn't been lacking. Even under the standard 10-point rules, we've always had at least one ship get successfully attacked, and in one game we had a total of 6 ships destroyed!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.