Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the pictures, all the players are going to be the Federation. Very disappointing. So what should the 4 races (plus the Robber) be? Remember that this appears to be set during the Original Series, so try to only use aliens/species from those episodes and movies.

4 Species - Federation, Klingon, Romulan, ???? (no idea for 4th)
Robber - Tholians (don't know if the web could go over a planet though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
4 Species - Federation, Klingon, Romulan, ???? (no idea for 4th)

The Vulcans obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

The Ferengi never get enough respect.

Their rules of acquisition make them perfect for a trading game like Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrinWilliams wrote:

The Ferengi should be the robber!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
DarrinWilliams wrote:

The Ferengi should be the robber!

ferengi for the robber and vulcan for the 4th race
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this doesn't make all that much sense to me to begin with, really, but in particular that the Federation is playing against itself. I could definitely see it being competitive with the Federation against the Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians, or something like that. That would be an interesting premise. And they could have Q be the robber, or the Ferengi. But anyway... I love Catan and Star Trek, but this seems weird as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Valadez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulcans are included in the federation so they're out.

The only others I can think of are Ferengi and Cardassian. I'd go with the Ferengi. I like the idea as Q as the robber.

I don't think the theme quite fits. What are the resources? I play Settlers and like Star Trek but don't think the two mix well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue is the Andorian Feds, Red the Vulcan Feds, White the Human feds (uh oh), and Yellow the Horta wow

Yellow are the Eugenic Feds?

Anyway, they really should have "quadro-triticale" as the Wheat resource.

Also the PORTS can be where the klingons and roms come in.

Maybe the robber could be the Organians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Robber should be an event marker. This would add some of the flavor of the TV shows:

It still shuts down the planet, and the player who places it still gets to take a resource, but a player who has a starbase or starships (which are going to be the roads, right?) touching the hex can attempt to beam down to the planet and resolve the event.

The event being a card that is drawn from an event deck with a nice flavorful description of the event and what the player has to do to resolve it (show or discard development cards -- which could be crew -- and resources, roll dice, use the stats of their faction's reference card, etc).

If they try and fail, depending on how badly they fail, they might endanger the neighboring starbases and starships. Or provide some benefit to the player who placed the Robber/Event.

If they try and succeed the Robber/Event gets removed and maybe they get a bonus resource or get to keep the card as a VP.

Add some of the series' diplomatic aspects:

The player who places the Robber/Event and the player he steals a resource from are considered to be "on the brink of war" with each other until the event is resolved or the Robber moves again. Being on the brink of war would have some gnarly and interesting game effects like: No trading between those two, they can't have starships on adjacent sides of a hex -- if they do, the starships fight, etc.

Add some of the series' space combat aspects:

Oh, and if a player gets boxed in and wants to put down a new road (sorry -- starship) they should be able to fight the other roads (sorry, starships) to take their place on the board. If a starbase is cut off from all starships it gets removed from the board or replaced by another player's piece.

Some of the faction-specific flavor:

The Romulans and Klingons would have the Cloaking special ability (among some others, of course).

Cloaking would enable a starship (at an additional cost) to be placed on the same border as a starship from another faction.

One of the development cards could potentially cancel the cloaking (and remove the ship or at least start a fight) for one specific link.

Apart from the event deck, none of this even requires any new components, except maybe a reminder token if you want to keep track of who's "on the brink of war" with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Rose
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Klingons, Romulans,Feds and ... Gorn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was originally thinking Federation, Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians, and then have the Borg as the Robber, but 2 of them weren't in the original series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heirodule wrote:
Anyway, they really should have "quadro-triticale" as the Wheat resource.

a bajillion thumbsup if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
colossus1919 wrote:
Vulcans are included in the federation so they're out.

The only others I can think of are Ferengi and Cardassian. I'd go with the Ferengi. I like the idea as Q as the robber.

I don't think the theme quite fits. What are the resources? I play Settlers and like Star Trek but don't think the two mix well.

I agree with James on this one. Settlers of catan is fine as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It should be:

4 players = Federation, Klingons, Romulans, and Gorns
Robber = Orions

If the Klingons are the Robber, then I guess it’s friendly competition amongst the Federation: Earthmen, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fed, Romulans, Klingon, Gorn.

robber is Harry Mudd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Woods
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If it's Kirk Era:
Federation
Klingons
Romulans
Gorn
and the robber should be a Tribble infestation.

If it's Next Generation:
Federation
Klingons
Romulans
Ferengi
and either Q or a Borg Attack for the robber

(A DS9 expansion would add Cardassians and The Dominion as players 5 and 6)

I'm at a loss to what the races should be for a Voyager themed edition set in the Delta Quadrant...except that Voyager should probably the robber in that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AS others stated...Federation, Klingons, Romulans and Gorn. (I suppose you could use tholians)

The robber could be a Doomsday device or a Planet killer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colossus1919 wrote:
I don't think the theme quite fits. What are the resources?

According to the first pics
Dilithium
Tritanium
Food
Water
Oxygen

*underwhelmed*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's introduce Reavers! yuk

"If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order." ―Zoë Alleyne Washburne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrinWilliams wrote:

Is that rule of business acquisition 1026?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More to the point... why isn't Star Trek Catan based on the game "Starfarers of Catan"? When I saw screenshots for this upcoming takeoff, I was honestly surprised. The "island" of Catan seems to be a less satisfactory style of gameplay for a spacefaring game of exploration.

Granted, Starfarers of Catan has not enjoyed the level of popularity that the original did. But all it needs is some tweaking. In Starfarers, the game adds the element of Encounters with other races, by way of an Encounter deck of cards. Players build ships, add modules to ships and explore the galaxy. Seems like a winning basic model for a Star Trek-themed game to me!

Pirates (Pakled),
Merchants (Ferengi),
Miners (increased resource production) (Cardassian or Klingon),
Builders (extra ship modules) (Breen)
Scientists (Vulcan)
-- and you even have "The Travelers"

Just not sure how the Romulans would fit in. Diplomatic encounters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrudis65 wrote:
More to the point... why isn't Star Trek Catan based on the game "Starfarers of Catan"? When I saw screenshots for this upcoming takeoff, I was honestly surprised. The "island" of Catan seems to be a less satisfactory style of gameplay for a spacefaring game of exploration.

Granted, Starfarers of Catan has not enjoyed the level of popularity that the original did. But all it needs is some tweaking. In Starfarers, the game adds the element of Encounters with other races, by way of an Encounter deck of cards. Players build ships, add modules to ships and explore the galaxy. Seems like a winning basic model for a Star Trek-themed game to me!

Pirates (Pakled),
Merchants (Ferengi),
Miners (increased resource production) (Cardassian or Klingon),
Builders (extra ship modules) (Breen)
Scientists (Vulcan)
-- and you even have "The Travelers"

Just not sure how the Romulans would fit in. Diplomatic encounters?

That is what baffles me about this; the choice of regular Catan for this re-theming. I probably would've been all over a Starfarers Star Trek re-theme (especially since I never really played the original anyway) as it just seems to be a better fit. Island Catan Star Trek seems forced and a little silly. The bits are cool though and I would certainly pick up a thrift store copy myself. I do not see myself buying this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Valadez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't agree with 're-theming' games anyway. Basically it's the same game with different art. In my mind not worth paying the same money twice(or even more due to the license for the new theme)for essentially the same game.

It's kind of like all the '80s movies being redone. Why should I pay again to see movies like Fright Night or Footloose in theatres?

I'll keep my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
AS others stated...Federation, Klingons, Romulans and Gorn. (I suppose you could use tholians)

The robber could be a Doomsday device or a Planet killer...

You could use a Bugle corn snack for the Planet Killer/Doomsday Machine!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.