Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Cleopatra" TCM 8:45AM EST Saturday Jan. 14 -
Record this for the Sea Battle*, especially for a scene unsurpassed to this day for breathtaking (literally, since you suddenly find yourself looking UP at the fighting from the Deep!) effects, unsurpassed by all the technical resources film has today.

*the land battle is Hollywood Historical Hokum at its worst: New Kingdom Egyptians battle Imperial Romans in the late Hellentstic Age....

And BTW: though we know Cleopatra's beauty was a later fabrication, there's no reason for us to deny ourselves if Claudette Colbert just happens to be playing the role (makes Eliz. Taylor look like an ageing drag-queen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this many years back. I don't remember so sea battle so well, what I remember is Cleopatra sitting on a divan eating grapes. The camera pulls back and you see the slaves fanning her. The camera pulls back more and you see the guards, then the slave women, and the camera keeps pulling back and revealing this massive pillared palace, full of leopards and courtiers and crowds of people and then you see it's all on a barge which goes sailing on down the Nile.
Quite spectacular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.