Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up with game in a trade. I read through all the rules and some of the reviews prior to trading.

I'm curious what people's most common complaints are about the game. I got it because I was looking for a science fiction based action/dungeon crawl game and it seemed to be the only one.

My biggest concern is play time. My wife and I generally play after we put the kids to bed and we've both had a long day. It's sometimes difficult to muster more than 60-90 minutes to play. I will also be playing with my 10 year old son on occasion.

I am a big fan of mods, variants and house rules. I plan on doing something to reduce playtime when I'm with my wife and increase win probability when I play with my son.

I'd appreciate comments about your complaints and what can be done to improve the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played two games of GoW, Emergence scenario, with my fiancee a few nights ago in under two hours, so it's doable with two people for sure. My main complaint with the game is that it's impossible. I've played the introductory scenario, Emergence, eight times and haven't won yet. Not sure if there's a fix other than to keep trying. Haven't even tried the other scenarios yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, personally, have no complains about the game.

To reduce difficulty, you could play with the 1 player setup;

To reduce play time, you could take away one tile from the small-medium scenarios, and 2 from the big-huge scenarios. I haven't tried it, but I don't think it will be THAT much different (just don't choose tiles with specific activations, needed for the scenario.
Though, to be frank, once you know the cards (and it will take a playthrough...) the game flows really fast. I managed to play a 2 player game, with a friend, the second scenario (China Shop), in about 50 minutes...

There are some Fan created characters, that can be used, but, like I said, the game doesn't need any house rule, modification, and I see non flaws (at least flaws so big that need fixin).

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onimike wrote:
well in mission 1 unless u have unlimited grenades u will never win and as for for over all game play is to seal the emergence holes as soon as first locust spawn from them still takes a while but only a couple a.i. cards actual will respawn more enemies then have 13 enemies to 2 players lol

Do you know that Mission 1: Emergence only has 1 emergence hole? and that the Grenade activation never runs out?

I, personally, find the game quite on the easy side, as I win almost every time (apart scenario n.3, in which I die at the end, all the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
onimike wrote:
well in mission 1 unless u have unlimited grenades u will never win and as for for over all game play is to seal the emergence holes as soon as first locust spawn from them still takes a while but only a couple a.i. cards actual will respawn more enemies then have 13 enemies to 2 players lol

Do you know that Mission 1: Emergence only has 1 emergence hole? and that the Grenade activation never runs out?

I, personally, find the game quite on the easy side, as I win almost every time (apart scenario n.3, in which I die at the end, all the time).

I was just about to mention this same thing. The first time I played the first scenairo, I missed the special rule that there is only ONE emergence hole open in the first scenario. Once you know that, it's actually quite easy and much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is weird. I thought that Emergence is a warm up scenario. Are you sure you've got it right?
- you can get grenades any time at 12A - no discard
- all emergence holes during Level 1 are sealed except the one by the Exit
- no spawn during Level 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
To reduce play time, you could take away one tile from the small-medium scenarios, and 2 from the big-huge scenarios.

Or simply, only play the first stage/card of the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onimike wrote:

I've played Mission 1 Emergence twice, and won both times. Admittedly the grenade room (12A?) was the exit room, so the COGs could just sit on the square and play defense while lobbing grenades (and good thing too, one game it took 10 grenades before finally sealing the hole).

So if it's your first time playing, to make it easy enough to not have to worry about the game while you're learning the rules, make the grenade tile the exit tile too. Will help a lot if you have bad luck with dice rolls.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
played that scenario once and no didnt know the grenade was infinite lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
That is weird. I thought that Emergence is a warm up scenario. Are you sure you've got it right?
- you can get grenades any time at 12A - no discard
- all emergence holes during Level 1 are sealed except the one by the Exit
- no spawn during Level 2

In my case I was playing a rule wrong (using general AI card 7 by mistake) but even after fixing the issue I've still lost each time. The monsters just slaughter us each time. Last time I played we were doing so great, made it to stage 2, and then the final two wretches on the board killed us

So my advice to the OP is to follow the scenario rules closely to avoid scew-ups like I made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common complaint, one that you will read about it 95% of reviews, is that the COG figures are difficult to distinguish from one another. The solution is to paint them.

Otherwise, I don't think there's much that everybody dislikes about this game. It can run long, so I don't know that it's appropriate for the evenings after you put your kids to bed, at least not until you two are experienced enough with it to have it move quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the beginning you could always split the longest scenarios, using the doors as sort of "saving points" for the different stages, it fits the theme...

But yeah, with a bit of practice I agree that it's not THAT long in two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Mr_Dove wrote:
I just picked up with game in a trade. I read through all the rules and some of the reviews prior to trading.

I'm curious what people's most common complaints are about the game. I got it because I was looking for a science fiction based action/dungeon crawl game and it seemed to be the only one.

My biggest concern is play time. My wife and I generally play after we put the kids to bed and we've both had a long day. It's sometimes difficult to muster more than 60-90 minutes to play. I will also be playing with my 10 year old son on occasion.

I am a big fan of mods, variants and house rules. I plan on doing something to reduce playtime when I'm with my wife and increase win probability when I play with my son.

I'd appreciate comments about your complaints and what can be done to improve the game.

The only complaints really are the hard to distinguish heroes mentioned above and a couple of questionable rules issues (fixed in the FAQ.) As far as gameplay goes I haven't really heard any and there isn't much houseruling going on at all for this game, most people are playing as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I do know that some people house rule that the Distraction AI card is never allowed in play.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
These people are wusses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
The boardgame is...small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
The boardgame is...small.

What do you mean by this? Please elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the board size is fine. Smaller missions you use a smaller board larger missions you build it bigger.

I am a fan of the board game and have played the heck out of it. I can only hope FFG will make expansions as I will be sure to pick them up.

As for any problems I think the FAQ addressed any issues I had. Just need some Grinder figs and more COGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nguyen
United States
Wallingford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest complaint is that the game does not scale well to the # of players. 1p is easy, 2p is just right, 3p is a little on the hard side, 4p is both stupid hard as well as stupid long to the point where it's not really fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphter wrote:
My biggest complaint is that the game does not scale well to the # of players. 1p is easy, 2p is just right, 3p is a little on the hard side, 4p is both stupid hard as well as stupid long to the point where it's not really fun

I haven't found 4 players that hard, especially if your COGs are cautious, though I do agree the game scales awkwardly (which I wouldn't have thought with this game).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Gryphter wrote:

I haven't found 4 players that hard, especially if your COGs are cautious, though I do agree the game scales awkwardly (which I wouldn't have thought with this game).

-shnar

Yeah you have to be incredibly cautious, which makes sense since this game is:

a) not Descent or Doom
b) based on a videogame that at least 90% of the time you are behind some form of cover i.e. being cautious.

In other words, I like the whole having to be cautious thing. It makes it so some turns are just "hiding any way that I can to replenish my cards or hope a teammate gives me cards/health". But again, fits the videogame.. In the videogame a Boomer can 1 shot you if you're unlucky and get hit directly. Just like it can happen in the boardgame if you're a little bit low on health and get completely unlucky rolls.

My only complaint is that it's sometimes difficult to see which COG is which at a glance during setup (since I haven't painted them). After setup I haven't had any issues. Just bad luck sometimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the first mission "Emergence" solo and after three attempts I finally won. The key is to move, seek cover and not be afraid of using your overkill (be carefull not to run out of ammo though otherwise you may need to backtrack to tile 12A to replenish). Also, attacking a Locust in the same area can be very helpful in a sense that it does not receive cover and you can use your lancer's constant ability. Bolo grenades are also useful against Locust's in cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple games we discovered that the guard special action is absolutely crucial, and almost certainly more valuable than dodge. As they say, sometimes the best offense is a good defense, and guard can be both if you're able to take a locust out before he has a chance to wound you or a comrade. You have to be careful not to overuse it (since it costs you a card), but played wisely it can be a game-changer. If you're neglecting guard, you'll probably have a pretty tough time surviving (and don't forget that anyone can play a guard during the locust phase, it's not limited to the active player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main complain : it is just yahtzee... But takes 3843294h to finish. Worst FFG Games so far (and they have so many bad games). But the funny part: Even the mechanics are crap, it does nearly only depend on luck (and we won nearly every scenario now..) it makes fun ...sometimes...

Ok one thing is nice: the minis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.