12 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Home system setup - 5 player game ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
When placing home systems at start of game the rules say:- you place in your choice of the 6 start positions.
So does that mean:
a) Each of the 5 players chooses any of the 6 positions. And only after the final player has chosen do you know which position is left vacant?
Or
b) Do you specify where the vacant position is before any placement so the 1st & 2nd players can select that their home systems are either side of the gap?
For {2,3,4 & 6} player games, that question is moot since the map is symetric. But for a 5 player game it makes a significant defference to setup...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
"Place your hex in the starting spot closest to you."

You don't get to choose. The "gap" in the 5-player game will be in the space that separates players the most

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Which, of course, isn't very fair. The end players have advantage (especially if planning to turtle.) I would randomize the process, perhaps by assigning players numbers 1-5, rolling a 6 sider and placing the gap directly after the player number rolled (in clockwise order.)

Another interesting option I just thought of would be to place the gap between players 4 and 5 in the round 1 turn order. This would mitigate the disadvantage of going last in round 1, by having more space to explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
it also works against you in case you want to share a diplomat. Which means you'll get an extra population cube placed. I'd say it's fairly balanced. (we just had that discussion yesterday )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that everything in Eclipse that helps you, also hurts you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Warp hexes. Someone posted an image, I think, on how to make a 5 player map equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdmers wrote:
Use Warp hexes. Someone posted an image, I think, on how to make a 5 player map equal.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MartZ Player
msg tools
mb
lievendp wrote:
it also works against you in case you want to share a diplomat. Which means you'll get an extra population cube placed. I'd say it's fairly balanced. (we just had that discussion yesterday )

I had my first 5 players game this week and even if we though the extra room would be an advantage, it ended up being a problem for the two players being farther appart because they were not able to form diplomatic alliance together.

Even if they tried pretty hard to make a connection, they weren't able to do so because of ancients in the way and improper connecting symbols orientation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
sdmers wrote:

This.

Can't find it you have a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Kaskela
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Overhamsteren wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
sdmers wrote:

This.

Can't find it you have a link?

Yep it wasn't the easiest thing to find, but there:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8008992#8008992

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much obliged

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Warp links are fine for those who want to use them, however unless you print them out on a playmat, or print them out as hexes, it would seem hard to remember what links go where.

I still like my idea of making the first player be in hex position "2"(counting 1-5 around, with 6 being the gap.) No crazy warp links needed then, just that players 4 and 5 in round 1 get to have some extra space to compensate for going last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.