Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick observation--I'm wondering if anyone has any further thoughts or information on this.

On our world, one faction, Die Mechaniker are "falling behind" it seems due to lack of play in our first five games--their colored brackets are not filling up like the others.

Now I know this is part of the game--a few factions will become more desirable than others. (Khan Industries is quite the brute on our world.)

But is it possible that one or two factions just nearly "disappear" from game play due to a lack of development?

Any other insights or experiences (or faction lore) would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter 'Pedro' Goins
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We have one faction (Saharan if I recall correctly) that seemed a bit under-powered. My brother picked them in a recent game entirely with the goal of getting them a "brown" power. Otherwise, I suspect we would have let that faction rot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
PedroG wrote:
We have one faction (Saharan if I recall correctly) that seemed a bit under-powered. My brother picked them in a recent game entirely with the goal of getting them a missile power. Otherwise, I suspect we would have let that faction rot.

Ahem. I hate being this guy, but: Bolded is technically a spoiler. Could we please watch that, to avoid having as many "Don't go to thread X-- unmarked spoilers" threads as there are actual discussion threads around here?

In the interest of being constructive: saying the color of the power instead would be less spoiler-y, and pretty easy to edit in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
I don't think it's that hard to get factions their additional bonus powers, especially considering the alternate starting method, so losing factions can catch up. And of course losing factions aren't necessarily behind on power progression - the faction was the most victories on our board still doesn't have a brown power because all those wins were before brown unlocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just play them more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
I'd just play them more often.

Mike and marhawkman, yup--I agree.

We played a pretty intense sixth game last night and I finally got my second win. IB is one of the stronger factions on our world and I just had to pick them for this game.

My goal now is to play DM as much as possible, get them eliminated and so on.

Maybe get them a sweet homeland...

Doing so will be fun because I'll take some amazing risks that may or may not pay off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Forsyth
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've been playing 4 factions every game. To avoid a faction not getting played we created the following house rule:

A faction that did not participate in the last game must participate in the next game.

9th minor city spoiler:
This has made drafting a little more interesting in later games. If you don't pick a faction soon enough, you quickly run out of choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group just added the houserule: if a faction doesn't get picked, then next game they start with an extra coin card. If they don't get picked twice in a row, two extra coin cards, etc.

Should help keep things balanced and will add some variety instead of the always seeing the usual favourite factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
those sounds like good suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Johnny- wrote:
Our group just added the houserule: if a faction doesn't get picked, then next game they start with an extra coin card. If they don't get picked twice in a row, two extra coin cards, etc.

Should help keep things balanced and will add some variety instead of the always seeing the usual favourite factions.

That is pretty much a brilliant houserule. Thanks--we'll use that.

We are eight games in and all packets (except DNOE) have been opened and contents put into play.

We have two factions, though, (EotB and DM) that have
never gotten eliminated so they are now potentially strapped with weaknesses and still don't have comeback powers. And the comeback powers are quite useful--even the ones remaining to be used.

Even with the above houserule, elimination is not a guarantee.

I'm wondering if
anyone has drafted or houseruled the blue comeback powers--we might just do that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just crush them in your next game. remember you're considered eliminated if you're knocked out at end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.