Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, they're all the same - 2 ion cannon, +1 computer, 1 hull, Initiative 2
Why not have some variety?
Here are 24 ship designs that could be used instead

Offence, Defence, Comp, Init
A 1 IonC 1 Hull +1 3
B 1 IonC 1 Hull +2 2
C 1 IonC 2 Hull +1 2
D 1 IonC 1 Shield, 1 Hull +1 2
E 2 IonC 1 Hull +1 2 (the current Ancient)
F 2 IonC 1 Hull +2 1
G 2 IonC 1 Shield +1 2
H 2 IonC 1 Shield, 1 Hull +1 2
J 3 IonC 3
K 3 IonC +1 2
L 3 IonC 1 Hull 2
M 3 IonC 1 Hull +1 1
N 1 PlasmaC +1 3
P 1 PlasmaC 1 Hull +1 2
Q 1 PlasmaC 2 Hull 2
R 1 PlasmaC 2 Hull +1 1
S 1 PlasmaC 1 Shield +1 2
T 1 PlasmaC 1 Shield, 1 Hull 2
U 1 PlasmaC 1 Shield, 1 Hull +1 1
V 2 PlasmaC 2
W 2 PlasmaC 1 Hull 1
X 1 AntiMC 2
Y 1 AntiMC +1 1
Z 1 AntiMC 1 Hull 1

but there are loads more options (e.g. 1 PlasmaC & 1 IonC, 1 IonC and 3 hull etc.)

I might have a bash at making up some counters later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case I didn't make it clear, I'm suggesting that instead of 24 identical counters, there are 24 different ones and you draw blind as necessary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems the ones with initiative 1 are generally the strongest, I don't think going from 2 to 1 in initiative is that big a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:

One potential unforeseen consequence could be that it becomes much more expensive to fight more ancients if you have to change your blueprints between battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Chrisboote wrote:

One potential unforeseen consequence could be that it becomes much more expensive to fight more ancients if you have to change your blueprints between battles.

Yeah, I would stick with 2 or 3 different types max. It would be tough to keep exploration balanced with so many ship types.

I'm sure part of the reason we have one type is to reduce printing costs and it also saves you from having to shuffle more tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought about doing this, too, Chris. My idea for implementation was to scan in the alien ship blueprint, make the necessary changes for each instance, print them out on adhesive-backed paper, lighten the background so it's easy to tell which side is the "revealed" side, and mount them on the one side of each of the alien ship counters. Then you can mix them all face-down before the game, and flip them when you explore the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:
In case I didn't make it clear, I'm suggesting that instead of 24 identical counters, there are 24 different ones and you draw blind as necessary

I think ALL different ones might be excessive, but say, 4-6 different configurations might be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overhamsteren wrote:
Seems the ones with initiative 1 are generally the strongest, I don't think going from 2 to 1 in initiative is that big a deal.

I just took each die of damage as 1 point, each shield as 1 point, each hull as 1 point, each + of computer as 1 point, and each point of initiative as 1 point - now they all add up to 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Vanish wrote:
I think ALL different ones might be excessive, but say, 4-6 different configurations might be nice.

I'd say 3 would be plenty. Much more would be unnecessarily confusing. I wouldn't make them any weaker; I also definitely wouldn't give them antimatter cannons.

I'm also not sure it would be worth it to include plasma cannons or mess around with lots of different computers or initiatives.

I'd keep the current one, add a 3xion cannon build, and then either 4xion cannon builds, or ones with some ion missiles. Sticking with all ion weapons would also keep the flavor consistent; like the ancients only had those weapons available. In addition, including ion missiles would add more missile mechanics to the base game; however, since the ancients can't retreat, I don't know if you'd want to have ALL missiles on them (probably not.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Touko Tahkokallio
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually thought about adding different Ancient ships to the game, but decided against it. It is a difficult to come up with Ancient blueprints that would be equally balanced towards different initial upgrades. As techs come out a bit differently each game, we decided that this would have brought too much additional luck aspects in the early explores. But if you don't mind the additional luck, I think it is a quite nice idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tomic
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just doing some brainstorming and thought:

wouldn't it be logical that the alien tech you find on the discovery tiles could be linked to the ancient's ships?

For example: In order to find the -3 shield, then of course you need to take down 1 or two ancient cruisers with this -3 shield feature on. If it is too powerful, take away their +1 to hit and extra hull.

You could argue that it's perhaps adding even more luck/randomness into the game, but you never attack ancinets in round one anyway and you should be able to counter this in round 2 or 3 as well.

At least that was a thought.

Or perhaps if you have tougher ancients than the standard, add one more VP tile when they are defeated; one tile that is neither a reputation tile nor a discovery tile but just a VP tile.

That would be OK for an expansion anyway or optional rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.