Irkutsk
Ural
Brazil
Peru
Western Europe
Southern Europe

Game 5 had all 5 players.

Pick/Start Order

Now that there we’re more things to draft, things would be a little more interesting.

No memory of what order each thing was picked but in the end everyone had the following.

1) Bill - Die Mechaniker (HQ is always fortified)
First Turn
Second Placement
6 Troops
0 Coin Cards

2) Jack - Saharan Republic
Green: Maneuver at any point during your turn
Blue: Stealth; Reinforcements can deploy into empty territories
Second Turn
Fourth Placement
10 Troops
0 Coin Cards

3) Nathan - Imperial Balkania ( Draw a resource card if expanding 4+ territories)
Third Turn
Third Placement
10 Troops
2 Coin Cards

4) Josh - Khan Industries ( +1 Troop in each HQ)
Fourth Turn
Fifth Placement
8 Troops
1 Coin Card

5) Cyd - Enclave of the Bear
Green: -1 to defender’s lowest dice when you attack your first territory each turn
Blue: Move an HQ you control one space
First Placement
Fifth Turn
8 Troops
1 Coin Card

Cyd started in West Australia
Bill started in Great Britain
Nathan started in Outlaw Star, Central America
Jack started in Wakanda, South Africa
Josh started in Yakutsk

The War

Mission
Explore the World: 2 Red Stars; Control 7+ islands

Intro

I was at the end of the serpentine in the draft, so picking two times in a row really helped me. My first picks we’re the 2 Coin Cards and 10 Troops. I figured that each faction was pretty balanced yet and it didn’t matter which one I got. So I went for power.

With Kyoshi Island (Australia) giving Cyd 3 bonus armies and now being defended with a Bunker in Indonesia, it was a good spot for her to go. Jack won with Africa and with having an extra Major City there to help him out, he natural went there again. This left me free to go to Outlaw Star, also with a Bunker. I would either take N. America or Outlaw Star would be my Northern border for S. America. Bill went to Great Britain wanting to make use of the Mercenaries in Iceland and being able to strike into N. America. Josh going to Yakutsk would be able to strike in Alaska and make use of the Mercenaries in Siberia.

Turn 1

Bill took all of Europe losing an army to Bruhl and lsla de Quijote. The people of Europe were not happy to be sucked back into war.

Jack took all of Africa fortify his northern borders.

Nathan took only 4 territories in N. America gaining his 3rd resource card.

Josh expanded into much of northern Asia.

Cyd lost an army each to the Shire and Bartertown. But she now owned her Iron fortress of Kyoshi Island.

Turn 2

Bill lost 2 armies to Winterfell, Greenland but had enough men there to keep a foot in the door of N. America.

Jack with Stealth threw 4 men into Alberta to keep Nathan from expanding any further. Then took all but Venezuela in S. America. Craving a resource card. He also took Western Europe from Bill and Expanded 1 army into the Middle East.

After taking his card an Event was activated. RESISTANCE.
Everyone who held a minor city only had 1 troop there. So everyone in those cities died. This hurt Cyd the most. She lost her Kyoshi Island bonus that turn and she would have to waste men to take those cities back. This was the first moment in all 5 games so far we’re someone was truly unhappy.

Nathan expanded into Venezuela and took Peru for his 4th resource card. Maneuvered back to Central America.

The next card reveled than was the 3 coin card of Northern Europe.

Josh took this opportunity to plow his way into the heart of Europe to gain that resource card (his 2nd). As Bruhl fell Bill Screamed "Alicia!"

Cyd spent her turn re-taking Kyoshi Island.

Turn 3

Bill with few men tried to take back Bruhl with no luck. He maneuvered his men to his capital.

Jack took two N. America territories from Nathan. Gained his 2nd card.

Event card: JOIN THE CAUSE

Jack had the most population and chose to gain 3 armies in lsla de Quijote, Western Europe.

Nathan had no choice now and had to a banded N. America. Taking the rest of S. America gain his 5th card; left 7 men in Central America and 3 in Brazil. I now had 5 Cards(7 coins). Next turn I would exchange them in for a massive army bonus in hopes to doing a lot of good in the western world.

Josh took Japan and Southern Europe gaining his 3rd card.

Event card: JOIN THE CAUSE
Jack and Josh were tied for Population, so nothing happened.

Cyd move out into India and took the Middle East from Jack to gain her 2nd card. Maneuvered back to Indonesia.

Turn 4

Bill gain his 3 armies and held fast.

Jack gained 4 men for territories/population + Africa and turning in two cards, he was able to wipe out Nathan’s forces in N. America. Cyd prevented me from using my missiles in the Bunkered city of Outlaw Star. “If he uses a missile in defense, I’ll use mine and you use yours Jack and we’ll take out all of his men.” (Sense the start we all figured that using 3 missiles most likely would become a Nuke. Jack was than able to push into Venezuela (only having 1 army able to go into it though). He pressed the Attack from Africa. With only having 2 men in Brazil and 4 over all. His dice of 2, 4, 5 would win vs my 1, 2. I had to use my two missiles and hope that neither Cyd or Jack wanted to use theirs with not many men left……

This was not the case. Jack aggressive and eager to win sent in the 3rd missile.

3 Missiles used in the same combat roll packet opened.

BOOM!!!!!

Brazil is no more, Nuked off the face of Earth 616. The 3 attacking men from Jack’s side died and everyone in Brazil (only 2) died. In the follow out Jack’s 1 man in Venezuela died and my final two men died in Peru and Argentina. South America was now a horrible place to be. No resources in Venezuela (Ammo Shortage) and Brazil being a waste land.

Jack’s Saharan Republic we’re now the Bringer of Nuclear Fire. With that came the Mutants who will have a vendetta on the Saharan Republic forever for what they did. Plus Brown (Missle/New tech) powers.

Jack took my 5 Cards (7 coins) and drew his 6th card.

Nathan, being knocked out I chose the Resourceful Blue power. I liked the Idea of the Imperial Balkania always being able to get a resource card in almost anything they did. Re-joining the War, I start in the Northwest Territories. Moved to Zemc Ya Meouewa, Alaska and gained a resource card.

Josh turned in his cards and made a massive push all the way down to South Africa, taking Jack’s capital. Got a little greedy trying to take Jack’s 1 man in New Utopic, Central Africa w/ Bunker; losing 3 men before quitting.

Cyd ever loving her Russia country pushed her troops taking it with ease. (Turning in her two cards). Left 5 men there and maneuvered the rest back to Indonesia.

Turn 5

Bill took 1 country in N. America for his 1st card and maneuvered all his men to his Capital

Jack turned in his 6 Cards (8 coins) and took back all of Africa and all of N. America minus Alaska. Maneuvered some men into Western Europe. Claimed a card.

Nathan took Alberta from Jack leaving 4 men there. Took a card (His 2nd).

Josh pushed his men into Alaska and North East Territories from Asia wanting to keep Jack from getting the Bonus later.

Cyd pushed out from Russia to Josh’s capital taken in with little effort.

Turn 6

Bill took Russia from Cyd and maneuvered all his men to his Capital. Gained his 2nd card.

Jack with bonuses all over the place took N. America wiping out Nathan again (taking his 2 cards) and kicking Josh out of N. America too. Ended his turn by taking his 4th card.

Nathan re-joined the war in Argentina.

Josh tired to take back his capital from Cyd but she was able to hold fast.

Cyd spent her turn trying to wipe out all of Josh’s forces on the map. She came close but josh held on with 2 people in Japan. She also used her blue power to move Josh’s capital from Yakutsk to Siberia (w/ Mercenaries there).

Turn 7

Bill turned in his cards and took a good chunk of Europe. Leaving about 11 men in his capital. With their forty starting power, Bill was determined to deny everyone a victory point.

Event card: CONTROL THE PEOPLE
Jack had the most population and gain 5 men in lsla de Quijote.

Jack turned in his 4 cards for a Red Star. Owning Nathan’s and his own Capital, he only needed one more. He gained loads of people from N. America + Africa + territories/population. He threw down everyone in Egypt. With his starting power he maneuvered all his men from lsla de Quijote, Western Europe to Egypt as well. From Egypt he claimed the Middle East, Afghanistan, Ural and finally for his 2nd win took Josh’s capital from Cyd in Siberia.

Jack is 2 for 2.

Though only 9 years old Jack’s aggressive game play can’t be ignored. He also was given some tips throughout his first two games which I’m sure he’ll get no more with 2 wins under his belt.

Rewards

Jack – Hasn’t picked yet. Most likely naming Africa.
Nathan – Coin added to Argentina (2 Coins now)
Josh – Coin added to Kamchatka (2 Coins now)
Cyd – Coin added to Eastern Austria (2 Coins now)
Bill – Coin added to Great Britain (2 Coins now)

After the 3 missile packet was opened some factions we’re able to claim a brown power (pictures below).

Thoughts

I’m almost to set in the ways of old risk, trying to take over the world. In this modern war, owning cities/population is super important as shown by the event cards. I learned a huge lesson in one shouldn’t hold onto some many resource cards. I thought Central America was safe, but when you have a big enough target on you, someone will get to you.

As more countries get more coins I believe people will become more aggressive, as shown when Josh stormed Europe to get a 3 coin card.

In future games I’ll have to decide to either get good coins/troops in the draft again or if it will be important to use my two missiles with a factions brown power.

Very curious to see how the Mutants play out.

Current Status of the World

Till next time!

Game 1 - Winner: Nathan - Imperial Balkania
Game 2 - Winner: Cyd - Imperial Balkania
Game 3 - Winner: Nathan - Die Mechaniker
Game 4 - Winner: Jack - Khan Industries
Game 5 – Winner: Jack - Saharan Republic

Continue the WAR -----> Game 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More coins does mean more reward which can be game changing! I charged from N. America to Egypt in order to claim a 4 coin card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
it was to complete the World Capitol mission card, which I managed. It was a game changer in itself, We (really I) forgot that I shouldn't have claimed the card as well so took it and won on the next round, I still think I would have won anyway but we'll probably keep playing this way to avoid any accusations of cheating

Good write-up, its made me really want to play this. We had a 7 game 12 hour session and then nothing more, so desperately want to play again. We hadn't opened the 3 missile packet so slightly spoiled it for myself but there's so much more to that packet I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
We also nuked Brazil. :)

If you don't pick a faction with a missile power, you'll get the chance to pick one out. Interestingly, your group's first picked missile power is the only left in ours. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey Prime wrote:
Good write-up, it’s made me really want to play this. We had a 7 game 12 hour session and then nothing more, so desperately want to play again. We hadn't opened the 3 missile packet so slightly spoiled it for myself but there's so much more to that packet I'm sure.

7 games in 12 hours! Nice. I would be up to play more but after 1-2 games or 1 long one, the rest of the group needs a break.
I'm dying to play more too. Getting all 5 people together is going to delay the next game a week or so. soblue
But because I talk some really good hype about the game, I'll be starting a 2nd Risk world with some co-workers this Monday. This one we're all splitting the cost and the winner after game 15 gets to keep the board. I hope I don't have too much of an advantage knowing what’s to come, but then again, I want to win. devil

VictimEN wrote:
We also nuked Brazil.

If you don't pick a faction with a missile power, you'll get the chance to pick one out. Interestingly, your group's first picked missile power is the only left in ours.

Down the road when more people have used the Nuke, there should be a poll showing what country got it. I wounder if there will be a pattern on which country gets hit the most.

I think everyone took more time figuring out which Blue power they would pick vs the Brown power. Sense I didn't pick one yet, I'm not sure what their motivation was with the ones they went with.

Thanks for reading! Makes me want to keep writing the battle reports and hope to make than better as each one comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice report, the pictures are great!

We played 3 games on our world this evening, and also triggered the big boom! It was triggered over the Brazil-North Africa axis, but ours landed on the African side rather than the South American side. It does seem like they are most likely to hit around the major choke points, probably within 1 province of Central America, Venezuala, Brazil, North Africa, Southeast Asia, or Indonesia. Closely followed by African border provinces? Similarly, I bet most Bunkers and Ammo shortages are on those locations, though probably followed closely by places people like to stick their HQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
amwest wrote:

We played 3 games on our world this evening, and also triggered the big boom! It was triggered over the Brazil-North Africa axis, but ours landed on the African side rather than the South American side. It does seem like they are most likely to hit around the major choke points, probably within 1 province of Central America, Venezuala, Brazil, North Africa, Southeast Asia, or Indonesia. Closely followed by African border provinces? Similarly, I bet most Bunkers and Ammo shortages are on those locations, though probably followed closely by places people like to stick their HQs.

Interesting--same thing happened to our world: big battle launched from Brazil and attacking N. Africa. N. Africa got the nuke though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Milke
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwest wrote:

That may be true, but I think that would really depend on where some of the things from the other packets end up, which continents end up being very powerful, and how people play their missiles. My brother, for example, only uses his missiles to keep people from completing mission objectives and when he can manipulate the dice to turn a two-man loss into a two-man win.

Our fallout zone ended up in China (which is actually really nice for the mutants as one player has stacked up Australia and all three Mercenary territories on our board are in North America), but that was because one of the stickers from the 30 army packet was placed next to it . . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update on what reward Jack picked.

As a last tip for him, instead of naming Africa, I convinced him to put a Fortification sicker on his city of Wakanda, South Africa. People can still try and start in East Africa or Madagascar to stop Jack from getting his City, but then they'll lose 4 armies to that city. Then lose two more armies for the other two minor cities in Africa. I don't know about the other players, but I'm not going to lose 6 armies just to stop Jack from getting his Fortified City.

Plus naming Africa, people would be taking his northern border all the time to stop his bonus. So, I figured the Fortified City would be a better Reward. I explained the options to Jack and he agreed.

That's the last tip for the 2 win Jack. From here on out, he'll he treated like the rest of us.

"No Mercy!" - Nathan
"Bring. It. On." - Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hound Archon wrote:
Monkey Prime wrote:
Good write-up, it’s made me really want to play this. We had a 7 game 12 hour session and then nothing more, so desperately want to play again. We hadn't opened the 3 missile packet so slightly spoiled it for myself but there's so much more to that packet I'm sure.

7 games in 12 hours! Nice. I would be up to play more but after 1-2 games or 1 long one, the rest of the group needs a break.
I'm dying to play more too. Getting all 5 people together is going to delay the next game a week or so. :soblue:
But because I talk some really good hype about the game, I'll be starting a 2nd Risk world with some co-workers this Monday. :) This one we're all splitting the cost and the winner after game 15 gets to keep the board. I hope I don't have too much of an advantage knowing what’s to come, but then again, I want to win. :devil:

I've been tempted to do this as well. I may purchase another copy to play with another group I play with.
After our mammoth 12 hour session we haven't been able to get together again but hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll be able to get together. The 12 hour session was great and helped create a buzz with the guys I played with, which has carried onto us talking about it nearly every time we meet up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report.

In ours we ended up with the nuke of Ontario. That's all well and good but I had just named North America the game before. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.