Popular Tags: [View All]
Roni Jaakkola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
Hey there, nice to meet you! @Nashtanir in Twitter
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played rather many games already (3- and 4-player games). However, there have been almost none fights between players (except couple of interceptor vs interceptor fights). Seems that all players are just really afraid of getting into the fight with another human player if that may result a huge loss and automatic defeat in the game.

Tell us what would make us more confident to fight against each other. We know that we'll receive a nice amount of reputation tiles but we feel we'll get them anyways from ancient fights.

So, why should we fight, or is the game just mainly building your own universe without worrying about other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already about a half dozen topics on this.

I don't get the turtle discussion
Brainstorm : What House rule could be done to give and extra reward to players to not turtle?
The turtle or the...

The answer is... its the players, not the game.

Perhaps the best reason to fight is that its a swing when you take their hex, not just adding to your score but decreasing theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Vanish wrote:
The answer is... its the players, not the game.

Yep.

It's easy to take it personally when someone attacks you. They're threatening your continued enjoyment of the game if they take away your ability to win early on.

I would suggest requiring someone to play Orion Hegemony each game. Then maybe your group would get more used to dealing with early combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nashtanir wrote:
Tell us what would make us more confident to fight against each other. We know that we'll receive a nice amount of reputation tiles but we feel we'll get them anyways from ancient fights.

So, why should we fight, or is the game just mainly building your own universe without worrying about other players?

If you are not the Planta or the Descendants of Draco, everyone turtling concedes the advantage in the game to those two races. It's not impossible for another race to win against them in an all-turtle situation, but do you really want to start at a disadvantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nashtanir wrote:

When fighting the ancients, you're only keeping 1 of 2....but when you're attacking others, you're more likely to be destroying more ships, and your odds will increase in grabbing one of the 3 or 4 VP tiles.

Are you playing with the alien races? Because some of those races should be fighting out of the gate. They're stronger and built for early fighting..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Nashtanir wrote:

When fighting the ancients, you're only keeping 1 of 2....but when you're attacking others, you're more likely to be destroying more ships, and your odds will increase in grabbing one of the 3 or 4 VP tiles.

Are you playing with the alien races? Because some of those races should be fighting out of the gate. They're stronger and built for early fighting..

I think fighting is one of the human's strongpoints as well from the ability to move more ships to the site of the battle during each action phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be soft! Have a fight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:

I think fighting is one of the human's strongpoints as well from the ability to move more ships to the site of the battle during each action phase.

I agree that they have some strengths for fighting, but the Eridani and Orion Hegemony are stronger out of the gate..

Middle and late round fighting, the humans ability to move 3 ships can be huge..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nashtanir wrote:
We have played rather many games already (3- and 4-player games). However, there have been almost none fights between players (except couple of interceptor vs interceptor fights). Seems that all players are just really afraid of getting into the fight with another human player if that may result a huge loss and automatic defeat in the game.

When the game aproaches the end, count all countable (un-secret) victory points. That should give you a good idea about who is winning if no one fight.

Then those who will not win if status quo is maintained think about how to win. I would be suprised if fighting did not turn out to be among the most promising thing they could do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since (imho) the biggest fear of losing a battle is crippling your own military, I'd say after a battle, give every "destroyed" ship a 50/50 chance of surviving for a player defending a system with their influence disk in it. The ships retreat to an adjacent hex and can make for a kind of "guerilla warfare" strategy without having to resort to plasma missiles. Maybe make them "damaged" and flip them upside down, and they can be repaired and returned to play for a fraction of what they normally cost to produce (1 for interceptors, 3 for cruisers, 5 for dreadnoughts). This way a player isn't automatically out of the game if their fleet loses a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack your neighbors when they are weak. It's easier to defend than to attack, so if you have a military advantage (big science or material lead), don't hestitate to attack. If you wait for a couple of turns, your opponent has more options to build up the defence and you might be unable to gain much from combat.

If I lose a game, I often look back and try to analyze why I lost. Most often I've recognized this pattern: I was not aggressive enough when I had the chance. Last turn combats can work, but if your opponent spends the first few turns buying tech to boost his economy (advanced mining/economy/labs or orbitals), you should try to attack him before he gains advantage with his better production.

I think it's important to realize that losing a few systems is not the end of the world. You'll still gain the production for one turn and actually gain money, because the influence disk is returned to your track before the upkeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They created this game so players may take many paths to victory. They also made it so you can change and alter those winning plans as you play.

Since players themsevles choose how they wish to play and win, I don't know what people expect the developers to do; stand behind some players who don't like to win via combat, with a shotgun, and yell "attack or I'll shoot!".

If they made it so attaking was really "worth more", people would be complaining how combat is the only way to win, and how the Orions and Eridani are overpowered.

Oh, and of course, they'd still complain about luck causing them to lose battles. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish pegged it -- the problem's with the players, not the system.

However, if you need extra incentive to get your players to be more aggressive, just allow a player to discard a reputation tile from another player if you defeat them in combat (not keep it, just randomly remove one and put it back into the bag -- AFTER you draw any rep you're entitled to for winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin is 100% correct. The designers created the game with multiple paths to victory. Why, then, place more importance on one of those paths?

Here's a suggestion if your players are too timid to attack;

Play the next game of Eclipse without any VPs. Make it a game of elimination.

This way, everyone will become more accustomed to the combat system and feel more comfortable attacking each other in future gaming sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My bigger mistake in the games i have played so far (5), was agreeing to or lookig for diplomatic agreement when i should have wagged war instead. All my games have seen plenty player combat, anyway, althought diferent each time (because of tech draft, exploring, etc. As the players get used to the game, is seems easier and faster to become agresive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
zorro_jv wrote:
My bigger mistake in the games i have played so far (5), was agreeing to or lookig for diplomatic agreement when i should have wagged war instead. All my games have seen plenty player combat, anyway, althought diferent each time (because of tech draft, exploring, etc. As the players get used to the game, is seems easier and faster to become agresive.

Being aggressive and waging war doesn't mean you should shy away from early diplomatic agreements. They might help you a lot. Just don't hesitate to break them if you see an opportunity to benefit from it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nashtanir wrote:

Try being the aggressor next time. If everyone turtles and is afraid to attack, you will probably win by quickly equipping yourself and launching a full-scale offensive against your neighbour. They'll learn as the galaxy burns... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.