Subject: playing the game right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if were playing the game right, but the last few 2 player games that I have played all of my cubes were on the board before the rat token cards were used up. In the manual on the last page it said its rare to have all of your tokens on the board. Are we playing this game right, also when we do the plague marker, and say 1 rat token is on an area, we just put 1 other rat token adjacent to that area not all adjacent areas right..Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player that is a common ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that a lot of people (when playing Rattus as a 2-player game) come to this point of wondering whether something is wrong because all the cubes are getting on the board.

You are not alone; check out this thread. (Bart is with White Goblin Games--the European publisher of Rattus.)

TAYQ: It sounds like you are playing it right, but maybe you need to play it differently when there are just 2 of you--adapt your playing style. The manual probably makes that statement because the designers/playtesters were aggressive players. Not everyone is. In my experience, players who dislike direct conflict or are unused to it hesitate to send in the Merchant of Death when someone (one of their friends) has a lot of rats in their region. But this is how you win! Send it!!!

The other scenario that happens is when players are too "trigger happy" and they see a region with 2 enemy cubes & 3 rats and they send in the MoD. Odds are are 3 of those rats have population limits of 4 or 6, so all of those rats will flip, and none of them will touch the 2 little cubes. Advice? If this is happening a lot, wait to send in the MoD until the populations are a little bigger. (I know it's hard to do, especially when you have 20 cubes and 8 regions to fill in a 2-player game. If you put 2 in each region there are only 4 left to place!)

The last scenario I can think of is when people keep going after the population centers with the MoD and they fail to seed the board with rats everywhere. You end up with a board that is virtually rat-free. If this is where you are at, try to spread the rats around when you get to place 2. Leave no region rat-free (except for the regions you are huddling in!)

In every event, the Witch & Monk are invaluable in these instances. Finding rats that will do the job and scooting them to the right region is smart play. Most people focus on the scoring strategy instead, making use of the King & the Peasant. Maybe you need to play smarter?

Hope these ideas challenge & help you as you try to get more enjoyment out of this great little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the advice, just wanted to make sure we were playing right..I will test out your theories and see how I do..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, you can always get free, unsolicited advice from me, LOL.
Just had one more thought: are you removing 12 rats from the game to scale for the 2 person play? Also, are you limiting your map regions to 8? (from the overall 12) I didn't think to ask; I just assumed. But since you didn't say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Picur
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, though, the Merchant of Death counts as two (neutral) cubes, so that even if there is only one player cube in a region, with the MOD it counts as 3. Therefore, a 3+ rodent WILL cause plague and may affect that one solitary cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpp452 wrote:
Keep in mind, though, the Merchant of Death counts as two (neutral) cubes, so that even if there is only one player cube in a region, with the MOD it counts as 3. Therefore, a 3+ rodent WILL cause plague and may affect that one solitary cube.

This is wrong.
The MoD counts as 2 neutral cubes, only after the final turn of the game when all of the rats are being flipped--the "ratocaust".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
jpp452 wrote:

This is wrong.
The MoD counts as 2 neutral cubes, only after the final turn of the game when all of the rats are being flipped--the "ratocaust".

Nope, the player with the Knight decides wether it counts as two cubes or not, every time this player moves the MoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, obviously that as well. But that is not what the thread is about.

redtrainredtrainredtrainredtrainredtrainredtrainredtrainredtrainredtrain + + + + + + + + + +
redtrain + + + + + +

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.