United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following errata was posted on the Kickstarter page:
Quote:
The first errata that I've decided to make to Imperial Crusade Armada is a change to the hydra laser to help balance game play. All three of its shots must be aimed at the same target every time it is activated.

I'm wondering about the rationale behind this change. The way I saw Hydra Lasers is that they were the "point-defense" weapon, that would allow the Star Republic to compete with huge fighter swarms from the Imperium. Ships with Hydra Lasers would be the counter to the Imperium's heavy carrier ships.

With the change, Hydra Lasers aren't really much different from a regular Laser, and the only good anti-fighter weapons (as far as I see) are the Reflex Cannon and Hyperwave Cannon (I'm not sure if both of those are available to the Star Republic). But those weapons are pretty much the anti-everything weapon, in addition to only being available on the largest ships.

Were people finding the Hydra Lasers to be too powerful in play? I guess I would have preferred if they were required to target 3 different targets (or lose part of their effect), removing the ability to focus-fire, rather than required to target the same target 3 times. But maybe that didn't address the issue?

I guess, barring the huge weapons, the best anti-fighter weapons are probably just regular lasers now? Since they can be fired multiple times for just 1 power each, and from any firing arc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've brought this game to the table 3 times and each time the Star Republic player won, easily wiping out the fighters with their hydra laser. Need to give this rule update a play, maybe the Imperium will have a chance. Or maybe I just need better tactics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
I guess, barring the huge weapons, the best anti-fighter weapons are probably just regular lasers now? Since they can be fired multiple times for just 1 power each, and from any firing arc?

Actually, looking through the cards a little more carefully, it doesn't seem that they even have any regular lasers - just hydra lasers. That's kind of a strange thing about this game, every Star Republic ship has "Advanced", every Imperium ship has "Devotion", etc... So many things are faction specific. I wonder if we'll see more factions that mix and max some of these traits and weapons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Imperial Crusade Armada for the first time tonight. Even with the change to the hydra-lasers, they were quite devastating at taking out hordes of Fighters. In fact, they would be truly unfair if they were able to split fire at multiple targets. Fighters would quickly disappear from the tabletop in large numbers when faced by even just a handful of hydra-lasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talarius wrote:
Played Imperial Crusade Armada for the first time tonight. Even with the change to the hydra-lasers, they were quite devastating at taking out hordes of Fighters. In fact, they would be truly unfair if they were able to split fire at multiple targets. Fighters would quickly disappear from the tabletop in large numbers when faced by even just a handful of hydra-lasers.

Ah, good to know. I guess yeah, the hydra lasers would still be effective against fighters since they are cheap and give you multiple chances to get that single hit you need. So the errata is good then?

Still, they now seem silly to be called "hydra lasers" and to have the three-headed icon. Should've been a "repeating laser" or some such. It's too bad the issue wasn't caught in playtesting. (Though I do realize that I and other kickstarter backers who never tried the PnP version are just as much to blame as anyone else.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like "repeating laser" better, now that you mention it. I think this errata is *definitely* good, although I think further errata will be needed. I'd go into the details, but I think I'll save it for a Session Report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya! I'll be rewriting the rules for the Imperial Crusade series and I'll push for the Hydra to be renamed.

Check out the Imperial Crusade: Freedom page for more current discussions on rules clarifications and changes!

ICF Page

Keep your sensors locked!

-Fallow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.