Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the box for this game in the store and one thing kept me from buying it. The game can take between one and four hours to play according to the box. That is a LARGE amount of variability; too much even. I doubt my group could handle a game of that length if it trends toward the upper bound.

So here's my question: is this accurate? Or is the variability based more on player count, i.e. would the game take about X hours with X players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The variability is based on three things: Player count, player experience and scenario. There are scenarios that will be over after 2.5 hours with three new players, while others will run 4-5 hours with 4 experienced players.

Playing the same scenario with the same number of (similarly AP-prone) players with a similar experience level will result in similar play time, it's quite predictable due to the fixed number of rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
I was looking at the box for this game in the store and one thing kept me from buying it. The game can take between one and four hours to play according to the box. That is a LARGE amount of variability; too much even. I doubt my group could handle a game of that length if it trends toward the upper bound.

So here's my question: is this accurate? Or is the variability based more on player count, i.e. would the game take about X hours with X players?

The variance comes from the game being scenario-driven. Most scenarios run 4 to 6 total rounds. Time estimates from myself and others look roughly like this:

* experienced players: 20 minutes per player per round
* very experienced players with no AP: 15 minutes per player per round

So a typical 4 round scenario will take 60 to 80 minutes per player. With a table of newbies you can safely double those numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo short scenario by experienced player = 1 hour + 20 minutes of setup and tear down.

4 player full conquest scenario by inexperienced players = 8 hours or more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Solo short scenario by experienced player = 1 hour + 20 minutes of setup and tear down.

Yup, that wouldn't work. Thanks for the quick replies, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I have finished a 4 player full conquest scenario with three players who had played once before (and one who had played lots of previous times) in 4 hours. It felt pretty well paced and on the whole was a fun experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An hour per player gets you to 1-4. We've been playing with a timer the past few games to enforce as such. It's funny how much of a difference it makes - we learned that an incredible amount of time is taken in that final push of trying to make a 90%-optimal-move into a 95%-optimal move. With the timer, you just say "screw it" and deal with the 90%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

Definitely possible.

With 4 inexperienced players I would only play a blitz scenario.

Regarding the topic. Ironically there is not enough variance in the description on the box. 1- 6 hours would be more honest. In addition to number of players and turns it also depends on the group, otherwise I can't understand the enormous differences for reported play times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 3 player blitz last night. The other 2 players were only on their second game. We managed to knock it out in about 3 hours and both cities were taken out by the noobs. My character was too far away to participate in the city seiging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another data point.

3-player, full conquest. Previous play counts for the players were 1, 2, and 10. We went the full 6 rounds in 5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Did the newbie scenario last night followed up by a blitz conquest with 2 new players. Newbie scenario was about 3 hours with rules explanation and then the blitz was about 3 hours to go the full 4 rounds. I'd say 20 minutes per player per round is high. We had plenty of analysis moments and still clocked in at 45 minutes/round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.