4 Posts

Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: RULE HELP: Catan Seafarers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam W.

Texas
msg tools
Just started playing the Expansion and last night we had an issue.

The larger Harbor tokens are used in the expansion and are placed on top of water tiles adjacent to land tiles. The harbor token CLEARLY is shown with land touching the land tile and 2 jetties coming out.

My question is this... can you build a ship at place where the harbor meets the land tile OR can only a road be placed there as it's shown being land (and ships can't go on land... right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
You can place a ship between the land and sea tile. Just sounds like an issue of the art being confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam W.

Texas
msg tools
Rich, the rules state specifically that ships can't be put on land and that roads can't be placed in water. So why would putting a ship at that point make sense? And none of the examples in the instructions show it. Placing the pirate ship there makes absolute sense as it goes in the center of the tile. I just wanted to know if you had specific knowledge or if this was your opinion.

I sent an email to the rule guru at Mayfair games but haven't received one back yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been many versions of the game put out over the years. The ones I have do not have any land on the harbor tiles. This is a new artistic touch that might be confusing. In my copy of the Mayfair rules (from 1998) there is an example next to the Special Victory Points section that shows a ship accross the edge of a hex where the harbor is.

Here are a couple pictures from the gallery:

The first shows the older type of harbor which wouldn't raise the question. The second shows the newer type. If you look at the green pieces in the back, you can see where someone has a ship going accross the port hex side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.