Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phrank Johnston
United States
Plainfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've only got the Mansions of Madness base game. I've got the expansions on order through my local comic store. What do you guys (and gals) store your game in? The original box? Something better? Please point me in a good direction, as the base game itself is already pretty awkward in its original box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
The original box. Just able to get everything in there. Plano boxes help organize, though, and keep the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all Fantasy Flight games, ditch the insert, or better yet, cut it up and make card dividers out of it.

From there I bought a $2 plastic divider box from Hobby Lobby. I think it was originally meant for jewelry. It fits all of the tokens, monster bases, and even some of the smaller cards. For some the extra cards, I bought a $1 "really useful box" from Staples. The biggest map piece goes in the mansions box first. Then the plastic divider. Stack the rest of the map pieces on top of that. Leaves you with about 1/3 of the box free, just enough room for the big minis and cards. I bag the print on demand expansions separately and just lay them on top of everything.

This method works for adding the new big expansion too. Looks pretty organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phwank wrote:
So far I've only got the Mansions of Madness base game. I've got the expansions on order through my local comic store. What do you guys (and gals) store your game in? The original box? Something better? Please point me in a good direction, as the base game itself is already pretty awkward in its original box...

Ok, I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

I have the base set and the 2 mini-expansions, but so far I have not integrated them into the main box. With the insert still in the main box, it's tight with just the base components, so if I wanted to put any more in there, I'm pretty sure I'd have to lose the insert.

I'll get Forbidden Alchemy when I can be sure I'm getting the Revised Printing of it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
So far everything fits into the base game. I use two unused Card Expansion Boxes from Arkham Horror for the Cards and the smaller bits 'n pieces.

Soon I will go on the hunt for vintage luggage, and will remodel one of those into the game "box"...
...so looking forward to this...
...now, if I could only find someone to paint the minis for me. I am a klutz with colours, paint and small details...
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Walker
msg tools
mbmb
My thought is to store all the player stuff in Forbidden Alchemy Box and all the keeper stuff in the main box. That will help set up and also preserve that sense of mystery from the players' side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i keep all the base game components (excluding cards & figures) in a Flambeau box and was wondering if this expansion will fit in as well. all it says on the BGG game page is that the FA expansion contains 40 tokens and markers, can anyone be more exact?

edit: answered my own question. here is a breakdown of the 40 pieces ---
- 5 Horror Tokens
- 4 Monster Tokens
- 1 Alchemy Puzzle Setup Tile
- 12 Alchemy Puzzle Pieces
- 10 Mutation Tokens
- 6 Crawling Hand Tokens
- 1 Seeds Marker
- 1 Time Period Marker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Y
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I don't have the expansion yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll fit with my arrangement of the original, which I'm super happy about--

Don't ditch or cut up the insert, it folds around itself into a box!---

That Plano 3650-N holds mostly the keeper's stuff, but also the investigator's figures. There's plenty of room for all puzzle tiles, monsters (not attached, but stored near their pedastals.) Some rearrangement will have to happen for the expansion, and likely some type of token or other will be scuttled from the box into its own bag, but the figures and puzzle tiles should all fit.

Below that Plano is a layer of cards in bags, and a little Plano 3449 that sorts all the investigator components. (Horror/damage tokens, room features, skill points, status effect tokens.) Below that layer are all the room tiles:

Sorting all the cards into bags smartly was the important part. One bag has all the large character cards (here, pick your guy from this bag) and then all the little inventory/attribute cards are in a separate bag for each character (now find that guy's bag and make some choices.) Also, all the clue/win-condition cards are in a separate bag for each scenario--I think I still have 2 of those I haven't opened yet...

Inside that box made of the folded-up-insert are all the large monsters. They're harder to reach, but it's fun adding a little excitement when you have to go back to the box to pull out a Shoggoth at the end of the game.

The box closes all the way, and everything is snug enough to store the box sideways. Because the card-bags are sandwiched between the two solid layers, there's still room for the expansion in there (I assume) and for a few bags of tokens or tiles if they need displacing from the main keeper's Plano box, possibly even another 3449 if it seems worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there really a need to store the expansion set stuff in the base game box? I don't have any expansions, but if you play a base game scenario, do you need any expansion bits or will they be dead weight in the box? I know the PnP decks are *not* mixed in with the base set decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juffowup wrote:
I don't have the expansion yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll fit with my arrangement of the original, which I'm super happy about--

Don't ditch or cut up the insert, it folds around itself into a box!---

That Plano 3650-N holds mostly the keeper's stuff, but also the investigator's figures. There's plenty of room for all puzzle tiles, monsters (not attached, but stored near their pedastals.) Some rearrangement will have to happen for the expansion, and likely some type of token or other will be scuttled from the box into its own bag, but the figures and puzzle tiles should all fit.

Below that Plano is a layer of cards in bags, and a little Plano 3449 that sorts all the investigator components. (Horror/damage tokens, room features, skill points, status effect tokens.) Below that layer are all the room tiles:

Sorting all the cards into bags smartly was the important part. One bag has all the large character cards (here, pick your guy from this bag) and then all the little inventory/attribute cards are in a separate bag for each character (now find that guy's bag and make some choices.) Also, all the clue/win-condition cards are in a separate bag for each scenario--I think I still have 2 of those I haven't opened yet...

Inside that box made of the folded-up-insert are all the large monsters. They're harder to reach, but it's fun adding a little excitement when you have to go back to the box to pull out a Shoggoth at the end of the game.

The box closes all the way, and everything is snug enough to store the box sideways. Because the card-bags are sandwiched between the two solid layers, there's still room for the expansion in there (I assume) and for a few bags of tokens or tiles if they need displacing from the main keeper's Plano box, possibly even another 3449 if it seems worth it.

Wow, thanks very much for your detailed photos. I'd organized everything into a 3640, a 3449, and a second 3449 just so everything would be quite so tight in the one. And being able to see your layout in the 3650, I arranged mine the same way and was able to drop the second 3449. At least for the time being, if I get Forbidden Alchemy and any other big box expansions I'll probably need it. And it will easily fit, I think even a third 3449 could be used if they start to get really counter crazy.

Really like the idea of grouping the monsters and their bases together. I didn't think it'd be possible(and I was lazy) and just through everything in there without using any of the small dividers. But it works fine, I even improvised a little and arranged everything so the Investigators have their own compartment, so there's plenty of room for more to join them in the future.

Isn't it annoying a couple of the bigger puzzle pieces are like just 1/16" or an 1/8" of an inch too big to fit in their flat?

And I'm annoyed I threw out the insert! I only got the game Friday, so I'm gonna check if it's still near the top of the recycling bin. That does add another nice touch to the layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.