Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Lauraux
United States
NAPERVILLE
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi
I've got a little issue with the withdrawal rule of eliminated unit.
It seems that you don't have to use any PR to withdraw an eliminated unit ?
So, on turn 4 for exemple, the republican players can suicide attack all his unit that will withdraw on turn 5 ??
Am i the only one to have problem with this rule ?
I am thinking about paying half a PR for this kind of unit, but will it change all the game ?
Thanks for any feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct - there is no penalty for suiciding your withdrawing units with the exception of the fact that you are losing out on the capability of dropping a new unit directly in the withdrawn units hex, even if stacked off a city, etc. (still needs to be in supply, though).

We toyed with lots of different options for this, but none really made the game "better" (and most just added a lot of extra headache or bookkeeping for the players). The one rule that I liked and we almost used was that for every 3 (or fraction thereof) units that are withdrawn while being in the ELIMINATED POOL, adjust the RM one in your opponent's favor. So if on a turn the Nationalists had 1 unit in their Eliminated pool to withdraw and the Republicans had 7, the RM would shift 2 in the Nationalist's favor (+1 for lone Nationalist unit, but -3 for 7 Republican units). You're welcome to use this as a House rule/Optional rule, as I do not believe it will break the game (and may even help adjust the balance issues vis a vis playing the Nationalists, that some people have observed).

-K
co-developer TSCW

alpa1976 wrote:
Hi
I've got a little issue with the withdrawal rule of eliminated unit.
It seems that you don't have to use any PR to withdraw an eliminated unit ?
So, on turn 4 for exemple, the republican players can suicide attack all his unit that will withdraw on turn 5 ??
Am i the only one to have problem with this rule ?
I am thinking about paying half a PR for this kind of unit, but will it change all the game ?
Thanks for any feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lauraux
United States
NAPERVILLE
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thank you for the answer, I will use this rule, simpler than what I could think out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Personn
Switzerland
dfgdh0
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still, the republican has 20 or so unit that will withdraw, the nationalist has 70 of them, so this rule will help the nationalist, not the republican, still woth to use it I think , but with a decreas of the moral from 72 to 65 or so..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we'd seen in playtesting is that the Nationalist often has the spare RP's to bring back the columns (and often needs them), whereas the Republican columns end up "piling up" in the dead pool fairly quickly due to their inferior quality early on - especially vis a vis the Colonial units.

There is also significantly less incentive for the Nationalist to do suicide attacks with his withdrawing columns, since he needs them to hold the line during the Republican portion of the turn (whereas the Republican player knows he'll be getting reinforcements the following turn before the Nationalist player can take advantage of any weakness created by suiciding his withdrawing columns).

-K

toundrah wrote:
Still, the republican has 20 or so unit that will withdraw, the nationalist has 70 of them, so this rule will help the nationalist, not the republican, still woth to use it I think , but with a decreas of the moral from 72 to 65 or so..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have a question about withdrawals. Although I'm pretty sure it's mandatory, the rules talk about units being "eligible" for withdrawal, implying it may be a choice. It's mandatory, right?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.