John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last evening was one of those times you can't plan in advance. I got home from work with a carry out pizza about 5:15. I was half way through it by 5:30 when Linda my most favorite ex-lover, cultural companion and dear friend of 17 years calls and says she has two tickets to see The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with guest conductor/solo violinist Pinchas Zukerman conducting that night at the Kentucky Center for the Arts.

I said, "Absolutely, I can be ready in plenty of time." I finished a quest in Skyrim, leveled up and discovered a new shout word before showering and dressing up in my best suit and a starched white shirt. She picked me up at 6:45 and we headed downtown. The Louisville Orchestra has not performed in nearly a year due to money and labor issues. This town was ready to rock get some culture. Traffic was terrible. Some guy in a Mercedes SUV forced his way in line. Had we been in my car, I'd have dared him to hit me. That would have likely done several hundred dollars in improvements to my 10 year old Chevy but not much good to his Benz.

She looked beautiful. I always stand taller in her presence. She was wearing an almost floor length gray wool top coat - the windchill made outside temps well under 20 degrees - over a gray knit jacket with trim and epaulets suggesting a West Point Military Academy uniform.

In any case, the joint was packed to the rafters. No one had gotten their classical music fix in Louisville in a long time. Now I wasn't that familiar with any of the pieces performed but Pinchas did an extended violin concerto during which he played a bunch of notes from memory AND conducted at the same time. We were in the 4th row of balcony. Pinchas looks an awfully like Jay Leno from that distance which added another entertaining element. Standing ovations, encore and more standing ovations. What a show!

On the way back to my place, we stopped at a cozy saloon for a glass of wine and to share a piece of Chocolate Lava Cake. In the course of things our conversation naturally turned to guns and shooting. She's a shooter, too. We had a good laugh when I settled the bill and the bar tender said, "I'll never mess with you two." "It's ok. We're unarmed.'

Then on to my place. I topped the evening off with the best sex I've had in months. Of course, she had dropped me off and had been long gone by then and I was alone. But that's ok. At this age I am more likely to think about sex with nostalgia than anticipation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I said, "Absolutely, I can be ready in plenty of time." I finished a quest in Skyrim, leveled up and discovered a new shout word before showering and dressing up in my best suit and a starched white shirt.

Skyrim. It's a hell of a drug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I topped the evening off with the best sex I've had in months. Of course, she had dropped me off and had been long gone by then and I was alone. But that's ok. At this age I am more likely to think about sex with nostalgia than anticipation.

Did you at least give it the old college try and invite her in for a nightcap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
scribidinus wrote:
I topped the evening off with the best sex I've had in months. Of course, she had dropped me off and had been long gone by then and I was alone. But that's ok. At this age I am more likely to think about sex with nostalgia than anticipation.

No. It was almost 11:30 and I'm 61 and she is almost 67. I can't speak for her but I didn't have 30 minutes of strenuous activity left in me. But I did have 3 minutes worth and a good imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

No. It was almost 11:30 and I'm 61 and she is almost 67. I can't speak for her but I didn't have 30 minutes of strenuous activity left in me. But I did have 3 minutes worth and a good imagination.
Comments like this really depress me. I'm only 18 years younger than you, Scrib...let me keep thinking that I have more time left!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
scribidinus wrote:
I can't speak for her but I didn't have 30 minutes of strenuous activity left in me. But I did have 3 minutes worth and a good imagination.

i.e., he wanted to get back to Skyrim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of a mod for Skyrim...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good, once, as I ever was. - Toby Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! LEVEL 19 and the Explorer Achievement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Aha! LEVEL 19 and the Explorer Achievement.

Live it up now. Much like real life, it slows down pretty rapidly around 40....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
scribidinus wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

Comments like this really depress me. I'm only 18 years younger than you, Scrib...let me keep thinking that I have more time left!

You do, you have 18 more years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was 35 years old until I was 55 years old. I could unselfconsciously elaborate on the personal effects of the male aging process, both physically and psychologically but that might get this moved to RSP and the OP doesn't belong there. Besides if any of you guys live long enough you'll find out. And I could elaborate on how the relationship between she and I evolved since we were love struck kids in our mid forties to early fifties but that could encroach on her privacy a bit.

So, does anyone know who teaches Smithing in Skyrim?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

So, does anyone know who teaches Smithing in Skyrim?

There's one at the Markarth forge. But don't waste your money (put it towards a house in Whiterun so you can store your Dragon bits).

You'll level up for less money by buying iron and leather and just doing a bunch of objects.

Bit of a minor spoiler here:
Kill every animal you find and skin it. Take it back to Whiterun, and use the tanning rack to make leather and leather strips. Turn around and use the anvil to make a ton of leather bracers (they use the least materials and sell slightly better than hide ones).

Sell them to the guy inside. Buy out his stock of iron(and ore), leather, and leather straps. Do the same thing with the woman outside.

Make a ton more iron daggers and leather bracers. Repeat until they're out of materials or you're out of money.

Carry a pick ax with you and mine ore spots you find.

It's a bit spammy, but it'll likely take you a couple of nights just smithing to get to the end of the track and it's kind of rewarding (although I was disappointed in the Dragon perk because there aren't any Dragon weapons with it...).

Smithing is probably the easiest skill to improve in the game to 100%. Sneak likely being a close second but that slows down pretty rapidly around 75.

But be careful. There's some auto balancing that goes on behind the scenes to keep the game challenging as you level up. However, it doesn't take into account what is being leveled up. That is, if you become an expert in speaking, and have no way of causing more damage, you're in for some tough times.

Fortunately, smithing can give you some very sweet weapons and armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.