Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have Hughes Net. Yes. Feel sorry for me and my overpriced, under-performing satellite internet. It's what I got...soblue

So I call because there has been a hardware upgrade available for a couple of years, AT LEAST. To buy the hardware they're talking $250 installed! SO I ask how much faster it would be given I'm at speed x now.

Here's the reply:

"I don't know but people say it's faster and they really like it".

The answer, after talking with a supervisor was .5 Mbps more. You read that right: $250 for 64k a second more.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/viasat-residential-satell...

Looks like you might want to wait a week or two then switch providers. Sounds like a better deal than that modem upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know you're not alone in telecom misery: We have had AT&T DSL for many years. We got about 3 Mbps download speed at best. Recently they got tired of maintaining old DSL hardware and told us they were going to shut it down. We were required to switch to their "uVerse" product if we wanted to keep our Internet access; they promised speeds of up to 6 Mbps. So we agreed.

I won't go into the litany of slapstick pratfalls AT&T went through while trying to switch our service. Suffice to say we finally got changed over to uVerse nearly a month after the (first) scheduled day on which they were to do the job. (Much anger suppressed just now while also suppressing the details of that month.)

And we got... 1.0 Mbps. That's right: a month of dealing with those chimpanzees plus a higher monthly fee, to get 1/3 the speed of our old service. We complained of course; more visits from installers ensued.

The bottom line was that we eventually got a VP of AT&T on the phone who was groveling and apologizing like crazy... but our neighborhood is too-many-miles-of-copper-wire away from their nearest high-tech widgetry, and they couldn't/wouldn't do a thing about it. (We are practically within walking distance of Apple's main campus. This ain't the boonies, folks.)

So we blew them off entirely and went with cable internet. Now we get about 20Mbps. Yes, the fees are higher, but it's so worth it!

The moral of the story: it sucks to live in the wrong location when you want high-speed broadband. We were lucky to have a good alternative available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

The answer, after talking with a supervisor was .5 Mbps more. You read that right: $250 for 64k a second more.....

But- they really like it! And I hear the ping stats are worse than with a phone modem. You have my sympathy.

We in Western Virginia are supposed to get fiber optic some time in 2013.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/257410

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.