Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

FAB: Sicily» Forums » General

Subject: The next FAB? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sakari Lahti
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering, is it known which battle is covered in the next game of the series?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Golan Heights.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Lahti
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Hmm, I think I'll pass that one. I'm more of a WW2 gamer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


I don't know but would like to see FAB applied to the Battle for Crete !
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I don't know but would like to see FAB applied to the Battle for Crete !


I am not sure that battle is much fun at the regimental/divisonal level....


Golan on the other hand is perfect, and will really benefit from the FAB way of showing troop quality, special actions and assets!

The only downside to FAB: Golan will be that it will make me ask for (beg for ) FAB:Sinai to be designed as soon as possible

BRian
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, even though I saw a fun documentary once on the battle of the Golan Heights, I'm also more of a WW2 gamer. Good though of the designer to also try and attract gamers that are more interested in other conflicts. WW2 is amply covered, but Vietnam, Korea and the Arab-Israeli conflict a lot less, so from that point of view a praiseworthy decision. I'll pass, though.

In the future I'd like to see FAB Normandy, FAB Kursk, FAB Stalingrad (Two map halves, one covering the city itself and the other the surrounding area), FAB Market Garden and FAB Berlin.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Korstick
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pass on Golan Heights too. I was hoping for something from the Eastern Front; Kursk would be a good one, both the north and south areas of the battlefield could be incorporated. Stalingrad would probably work as well. Although it would probably need to be either the invasion or the counterattack. Market Garden would be another good one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Konze
Germany
Berlin
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
In the future I'd like to see FAB Normandy, FAB Kursk, FAB Stalingrad (Two map halves, one covering the city itself and the other the surrounding area), FAB Market Garden and FAB Berlin.

Sounds great
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for Golan... would like to see Guadalcanal, I think the events and assets system would work really well. Dunno if the scale is right, though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much interested in this FAB Golan Heights. I believe this battle is perfectly suited for the FAB game idea, a battle limited in time and space, relatively low on units and being a crucial period in time in the struggle between Israel and Syria. Two times the Golan Heights were a battlefield (during the Six Days War in 1967 and during the Yom Kippur War in 1973) so I wonder which one of these battles will be covered by this next game in the FAB series.

Edit: typo.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - I have seen what the designer for Golan has done and I think he has beautifully understood Rick's system. I was quite impressed. I've not had any time to study it further, but I believe the work to be top notch. Cannot say more at the moment.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
garysax wrote:
I'm in for Golan... would like to see Guadalcanal, I think the events and assets system would work really well. Dunno if the scale is right, though.


Scales can easily be adapted. Take "No Retreat" for example. In the Eastern front version one counter is an army group and a hex roughly 100 km and in the North-Africa version 1 counter is more like one division and a hex, I believe, is also a bit smaller. Surely, some adaptations may be required, but I'm sure it won't be anything unsurmountable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
I'm very much interested in this FAB Golan Heights. I believe this battle is perfectly suited for the FAB game idea, a battle limited in time and space, relatively low on units and being a crucible period in time in the struggle between Israel and Syria. Two times the Golan Heights were a battlefield (during the Six Days War in 1967 and during the Yom Kippur War in 1973) so I wonder which one of these battles will be covered by this next game in the FAB series.


Is there any game you're NOT interested in? (-:
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Is there any game you're NOT interested in? (-:

Zekers! "Mens erger je niet" bijvoorbeeld..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Scales can easily be adapted.


I completely disagree. It's neither easy nor a good idea in many cases.

Quote:
Take "No Retreat" for example. In the Eastern front version one counter is an army group and a hex roughly 100 km and in the North-Africa version 1 counter is more like one division and a hex, I believe, is also a bit smaller.


I would say that NR! is the perfect example of a wargame where the scale is kind of problematic when it comes down to such crucial details as logistics, ZOCs, exploitation capacities or the CRT.

It might work as a game, but it's a pretty whacky simulation of what happened in the Eastern front.

I for one would appreciate the series keep true to its roots and focus on specific battles at the operational level.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
harzal wrote:
boersma8 wrote:
Scales can easily be adapted.


I completely disagree. It's neither easy nor a good idea in many cases.

Quote:
Take "No Retreat" for example. In the Eastern front version one counter is an army group and a hex roughly 100 km and in the North-Africa version 1 counter is more like one division and a hex, I believe, is also a bit smaller.


I would say that NR! is the perfect example of a wargame where the scale is kind of problematic when it comes down to such crucial details as logistics, ZOCs, exploitation capacities or the CRT.

It might work as a game, but it's a pretty whacky simulation of what happened in the Eastern front.

I for one would appreciate the series keep true to its roots and focus on specific battles at the operational level.


Why do you feel these things are problematic in NR?

OK, so Market garden could still be done and Normandy as well, I suppose (bt indeed the operations could be slit up into Operation Totalize, Operation Cobra etc.). However, I feel that a game titled "Normandy"might sell better than a game called "Operation Totalize".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eran b. sondervan
Israel
Kedomim
NA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
harzal wrote:
Golan Heights.

It sounds great!
Israel's war!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soon Louis
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Guadalcanal. Not sure about Golan Heights. Personally I have no interest in playing the Arab side.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
would like to see Guadalcanal, I think the events and assets system would work really well. Dunno if the scale is right, though.

+100 -- A fascinating, edge-of-your-seat campaign, would love to see a FAB version!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peñas
Spain
flag msg tools
+1 I vote for Guadalcanal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guadalcanal is an interesting campaign but the FAB scale is way off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vol.3 in the FAB series is now up for preorder!

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-417-golan-73-fab-3.aspx
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.