Georgio Pastrama
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
Our new game is nearing completion to go on Kickstarter and we have several manufacturing quotes all ready.

We are trying to decide whether using mini cards printed with terrain art will work well for the game. The cards would be randomly flipped and placed to create a map of the terrain, and effectively the board.
We can easily use hexagon terrain tiles to make the map/board as well.
There is a price difference especially considering smaller print runs which can come into play.

What is your opinion on either of these options, would either work and look just as good for a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sharrock
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would having rectangular cards or hexagonal tiles not affect the game balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen a card map work very well. They tend to spin and shift around too much. Hex tiles work better.

For one game, I was able to put the map cards in card collector pages and it worked OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Macey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Earl_G wrote:
Would having rectangular cards or hexagonal tiles not affect the game balance?

If you stagger the rows (every other row slides half a cardlength), you can achieve a hex arrangement with cards easily enough, so either option maintains game mechanics just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgio Pastrama
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies all.
Yes staggering the card rows is almost the same layout as hex tiles.

Also Rich, so card maps are not a good idea from your experience? Can heavy cards work that are as thick as hex tiles. There is a production cost difference in the shape of terrain tiles in addition to the thickness. The reduced price over many games might be a substantial amount.

Can making your own hex tiles be affordable, especially for lets say 500-1000 games. And how time consuming is it to make all your own tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
MadMartigan wrote:
Also Rich, so card maps are not a good idea from your experience? Can heavy cards work that are as thick as hex tiles. There is a production cost difference in the shape of terrain tiles in addition to the thickness. The reduced price over many games might be a substantial amount.

I was assuming playing card thickness. Rectangular tiles can work fine, but don't "lock in" quite as well as hexes.

Quote:
Can making your own hex tiles be affordable, especially for lets say 500-1000 games. And how time consuming is it to make all your own tiles?

Here's a great design and production history of a game:

http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/

Near the end he talks about using Ellison and Accucut machines to make hex tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The OOP CCG, Arcardia: The Wyld Hunt, used cards to make a map. Ridiculously difficult to flip over, and you even hid cards underneath them to make it more difficult. Maybe the Personal Comments section will have more comments about a card-made map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote Hex for president

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my original approach to using cards as a pseudo hex tile system.

Later was pointed out to me a pattern referred to as herringbone and I came up with this as a possible board layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgio Pastrama
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
Awesome info John, thanks for sharing that.

I have just found out that supposedly hex tiles should not be that much of a price increase over thick cards.

Either should work fine, as long as the tiles/cards are thick/heavy enough to stay in place on the table during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard playing cards and CCG cards will stay put about as well as a thick tile will as its the surface area/friction factor preventing sliding. And a few other factors most likely depending. They are though more sometimes susceptible to gusts of wind.

Thicker tiles though tend to be easier to flip or manipulate. But stack alot worse if the game is tile heavy or requires shuffling tiles. ugh!

Finding a factory that can cut hexagons will be the trick. Some can handle it. Some cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.