Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I want to say that as an old Master of Orion 2 fan I really like Eclipse and admire how perfect the game was streamlined for easy play, getting rid of everything unneccessary. Congrats!!

However, as I guess a lot of people are missing "their" special technology, inspired by movie or game (and already a lot of demands for more tecs in an expansion), how about starting a collection of ideas?

So here come my thoughts (inspired by MoO2, of course)

Battle pods: The dreadnaught blueprint gets an additional upgrade space.

Ground batteries: After the space combat phase and before attacking population (and getting wiped out) you roll one die for your best canon plus your best computer bonus against an enemy fleet in your star system. (Maybe it's enough to survive)

Cloaking Device: Your ships may move through an enemy occupied hex without getting pinned. Doesn't work against the galactic center defense.

I'm not sure about costs yet.
Feel free to add your ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see an additional "move" tech, like the nanobots are for the build action, but I have a feeling this won't happen. More likely, there will probably be an alien race that can move 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see yellow missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As there's a special discovery tile with 3 yellow missiles in the supernova expansion I would expect a standard 2 yellow missiles coming with the first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres only one or two new things I'd think would be fun to introduce. The rest are mostly alternatives to existing technologies to give a kind of diverging tech tree feel.

Fighter Bay - 4/3 - When a ship with this part moves, it may bring along 1 ship two sizes smaller than it (or 2 ships three sizes smaller than it) for each part installed. May also deploy Fighter Drones in combat.

Ion Missiles - 6/4 - Each ion missile part fires two missiles that do 1 damage each. Requires no energy.

Fighter Drones - 8/5 - Fighter Drones act like disposable missiles. Each one costs 1 material to build, and they are stored to the side of the player board. You may build to for each build used (so most races could build 4 with each Build action taken). They attack once each for 1 damage during the missile phase and may not retreat. They may only be deployed in a location where the owning player has a population cube or a ship with a Fighter Bay. After all combats are resolved, all Fighter Drones that share a hex with an allied population cube or allied ship with a fighter bay are return to their owner's supply. The rest are destroyed.

Ion Combo - 8/5 - Shoots once for 1 damage. Also Provides a +1 targetting computer. Requires 2 energy.

Regenerative Shielding - 8/5 - Provides 1 hull. Also imposes a -1 to enemy dice. Requires 2 Energy.

Ablative Armor - 10/6 - Provides 3 hull. Requires 1 energy.

Anitmatter Feed - 10/6 - All of this ships weapons deal +1 damage per hit. Requires 3 energy.

Graviton Pulse - 12/6 - Rolls Purple dice. When attacking, this weapon targets ALL enemy ships and deals 1 damage to each one it hits. Requires 2 energy.

Relativity Drive - 12/6 - Provides 1 hex movement. Provides +6 initiative. Requires 3 energy.

Ion Burst Repeater - 14/7 - Attacks 3 times, each hit does 1 damage. Requires 4 energy.

Flagship Blueprints - 16/8 - Add the Flagship blueprint to the side of your player board. It costs 11 materials to build, has 12 upgrade slots, and comes with all slots fully upgraded with whatever parts the researching race has access to. A race may only have 1 Flagship on the board at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget there's a 2 yellow dice as ancient technology. So i vote for 3 Yellow Missiles with a 3 Energy cost to prevent serious abuse on big ships.

Yellow Missiles tech: 3 yellow dices Missiles Attack
Research Cost: 8/6
Energy Cost: 3

A Planetary Shield tech: Provides -3 of shield to planet
Research Cost: 16/12
Building Cost: 12
(That i would like to see that some invader try to attack my colony after destroying my fleet.

Advanced Schematics tech: +1 Upgrade
Reseach Cost: 14/10
(Gives the player to get +1 upgrade rather than only 2)

Secret Agency Tech: Provides Spies
Research Cost: 14/10
(Gives the player an oportunity to steal a tech or an upgrade part from the target player)

i will think more and post later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGFreakDag2PT wrote:
Don't forget there's a 2 yellow dice as ancient technology. So i vote for 3 Yellow Missiles with a 3 Energy cost to prevent serious abuse on big ships.

The two yellow dice ancient technology is for cannons though, not missiles. In the supernova expansion, there's a 3 yellow dice missile discovery. I agree that missiles should use power in general, but in keeping with the spirit of the game as it stands now, I elected not to (at least until there's an official errata adding energy reqs to plasma missiles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anti-Missile-System (AMS)
Whenver a spacecraft using this technology is targeted by missiles, the firing player has to roll a natural 6 to hit the target.

Tractor Beam
For every tractor beam in his/her own fleet, the player opposing to a retreating player may deny one enemy spacecraft the move to retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like AMS, but, when you think that it would take up an entire ship square, I'm not sure. Wish it could be combined or automatic like Neutron Bombs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
I like AMS, but, when you think that it would take up an entire ship square, I'm not sure. Wish it could be combined or automatic like Neutron Bombs.
Maybe it could add one Initiative, too. That way it would not be fully useless in a missile-lacking battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:

Considering that it negates all computers against missile attacks, and those computers in most cases take up a slot on the other ship, it seems only fair that it takes up a slot, especially if the AMS doesn't take any energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:

Anti-Missile-System (AMS)
Whenver a spacecraft using this technology is targeted by missiles, the firing player has to roll a natural 6 to hit the target.

Tractor Beam
For every tractor beam in his/her own fleet, the player opposing to a retreating player may deny one enemy spacecraft the move to retreat.

Tractor Beam exists as part of the Elders of the Solstice. There, it says that no ship may retreat from combat with you, but it doesn't require any ship parts - it's just automatic.

As for AMS, I think there are better ways to deal with missiles than using a part that specifically counters them but doesn't actually add anything interesting to the game. Better to reduce the rarity of better hulls and/or alter the missiles themselves to be more inline with regular weaponry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
delta_angelfire wrote:
As for AMS, I think there are better ways to deal with missiles than using a part that specifically counters them but doesn't actually add anything interesting to the game. Better to reduce the rarity of better hulls and/or alter the missiles themselves to be more inline with regular weaponry.

Well, there appears to be a Point Defence Cannon ship part being developed for the expansion. If I had to totally baselessly guess at how it works, I'd guess it's something like 3 power, 2x1 damage, but can shoot at missiles that target it (as well as shooting at ships).

I think that would be kind of neat, because it would open up high-accuracy ships as a useful anti-missile counter, which they really aren't now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Matter Source - 10/6
Does nothing unless used in Pairs. When using 2 Dark Matter sources, provides the ship with unlimited energy.

Planet Buster - 16/8
Requires 15 energy. Deals 10 Damage per hit. Automatically hits when attacking population cubes.

Spatial Predictor Matrix- 12/6
Requires 3 energy. This ship does not automatically miss on a roll of "1"

Reflective Shielding- 12/6
Requires 3 energy. This ship is not automatically hit on a roll of "6"

Hyper Navigation- 6/4
Your ships may escape combat immediately when retreating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
Reflective Shielding- 12/6
Requires 3 energy. This ship is not automatically hit on a roll of "6"

So what is it hit on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think it means that other modifiers, such as shields, can stop even a natural 6 from hitting.

So if my opponent has phase shields and Reflective Shielding and I roll a 6, I miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So if my opponent has phase shields and Reflective Shielding and I roll a 6, I miss.
Sounds broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Reflective Shielding requires you to use an upgraded power source (it uses 3 Energy, so you need to upgrade to have access to it and a drive) plus a shield, so that's two slots being used up (or three, if you just use an extra Nuclear Source). To negate this, you just need an equivalent Computer to the Shield, so you use up one slot instead of two/three.

Reflective Shielding is actually pretty bad. Any late-game ship design wants powerful Shields anyway; I haven't seen any good late-game ship design that only hits on a 6 even with enemies that have lots of Shields, so this is actually far from broken.

Good against the GCD and Ancients, of course, but they're pretty easy to beat as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a high shield/low computer game it could be more useful, but yes, it's meant to be highly specialized. Shields slready feel a little weak to begin with, so I thought of something mass defensive. A dreadnought with two fusion source, basic drive, and reflective shields, would still have enough power and space for 4 Phase shields (-8) if I did my math right. Won't stop a dedicated computer user, but can stop certain lower tech options dead in their tracks when on defense (even if it won't kill anything). Also would make the -3 Shield discovery more useful too I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea for either a tech, or a new race.

Double action: ability to do two actions in a single turn (if the player chooses), player must still use influence disks like normal.

Useful for:
- research two techs, taking opportunity away from opponents
- explore to a spot before your opponent using double explore (more expensive than planta's explore)
- explosive raids, as one can move ships quite a bit before opponents have chance to pin
- good defense, by building up fast to either pin or discourage a raid
- can be used to tactically pass first!

Weaknesses:
- If used too much or at an inopportune time, opponents could outlast you with more actions, since you can't afford more actions
- would definitely need balancing else where

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:

Graviton Pulse - 12/6 - Rolls Purple dice. When attacking, this weapon targets ALL enemy ships and deals 1 damage to each one it hits. Requires 2 energy.

I liked the thought of this one. Originally I was thinking of producing it as a discovery, but then thought it could be a rare tech instead. (And I have one more idea, too!) Anyone up for discussing its relative strength, whether the power consumption is balanced (when making the image, I had felt 2 power was low, as it could be put on a base interceptor, but then it couldn't have a computer, so maybe that's ok), and if it was a rare tech, the appropriate cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I decided to try this as a rare tech. Printed it out and pasted it on both sides of one of the goofed tiles from ROTA. Also made a dozen equipment chits from the image above.

It came out in our game last night and was bought to threaten a huge stack of ships in the center. However, the tide of the game turned and the upgrade was never placed. I'll let you know when someone finally tries it out!

Also, I'm going to add it to the combat simulator to try to get some real comparisons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An update on the Graviton Pulse: We've decided pulse weapons do not work with Point Defense and cannot be fired at planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.