Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Poe
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puppet Wars is a very fun, theme soaked, twisted game of war. It is both a board game and a minis tabletop game. Did I mention fun? You take a team and your goal is to beat the stuffing out of the other team(s).

There is some pretty intense strategy in this game. For example, selecting your toy box, movement, when to kill your OWN puppets, which puppets to sacrifice for your master to win, which workbenches to take, when to save cards vs playing them, etc.. There is so much, and each topic could have a 5 page article. So just know that there is.

Game flow is very fast with an average game time of 30-75 min. The battle system is great with a chance for the defender to 'dodge' and the attacker to match the new defense. If the cards are not in your favor you still have other options.

I really enjoy this game. It makes you think of combos and strategies when you aren't even playing! I can't wait to try it with 4 players. The figures are what draw people in (hopefully my box too!) and it is very easy to talk people into playing.

I think all types of gamers would like this game. The roleplayer might miss dice, but I think will have plenty of material to keep them happy. The euro gamer will be unhappy with the card draws, but the intense strategy will more than make up for it. The tabletop gamer will complain about the restricted board but will be happy to learn of the price and what you get. The ameritrash gamer will geek out when they see the figures and you might have to take the figures away when you teach the rules.

Overall the base game with base components are very good. The price is great for what you get, and the game play is interesting and has fantastic replay-ability. Add even more fun with the boosters and multi-player pack. Add even more fun by pimping everything out like me.

You can see my pimps and battle report at the Puppet Wars forum website http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?p=357307#post3573...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Beckmann
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How easy is it to paint these minis? They look incredibly small to me. I'm an OK mini painter, but really small figures push my skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poe
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are indeed very small. I've completed the base set and am on my way through the booster packs.

I've had some trouble with some very fine stitches on the puppets but otherwise it goes well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.