Rattus» Forums » Rules

Subject: No more Rats on the Map ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier POYEN
France
flag msg tools

First game tonight. 2Players (Wife & I)

She never took any role card. As such, she hardly loose people from plague (only on a A & M).

Next to this, it happens that turn after turn, we were adding one rats token to each country where the plague explode, but discarding two tokens very often without loss(few people cube in each country-> several rats cards are just discarded).

After 10 turns, there were no more Rats token on the board !
How do you end the game from that point ?
You can not add any more people, unless you use the Farmer Character.
And you can not add any more rats, since the plague need at least one to add some more.
From that point, we took the Farmer card ("Paysan" in French) each turn and just add people one after another.

It seems I missed something in the rules because this ending seems awkards & was really boring.....Help !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're playing something wrong. If I'm understanding you, it sounds like you've been adding new rats to the region with the plague marker, instead of to an adjacent region. There should always be at least one rat somewhere on the board.

Or there's something else wrong, but I think it's this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier POYEN
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for reading !

Nevertheless, by the rules, adjacent regions get rats only when there are 2 or 3 rats on a region. This happened but not THAT often.

And take this case: imagine there is only one rat token on the board.
You move the plage counter on it. The country has only 1 people cube.
You add another rat counter.
Bad luck, both of them are 6+. So you turn both of them to resolve plage's ravage. But once this is done, there are no left on the board !
Exactly what happened yesterday....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
opqopq wrote:

And take this case: imagine there is only one rat token on the board.
You move the plage counter on it. The country has only 1 people cube.
You add another rat counter.
Bad luck, both of them are 6+. So you turn both of them to resolve plage's ravage. But once this is done, there are no left on the board !
Exactly what happened yesterday....

You add a new rat token to an ADJACENT region...not to the region where you just moved the plague. You would only be flipping one rat, not both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the French rules:

"Si la région infectée contient 1 jeton rat, le joueur actif prend 1 nouveau jeton rat dans le réserve et le place dans une région voisine." (emphasis mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind you always add rat tokens to an adjacent region and also keep in mind that the Black Death won't strike in a region without population cubes.

This means that a game board without rat tokens is absolutely impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't speak/read French, but you are DEFINITELY playing this incorrectly.
On your turn (regardless of whether you opt to take a new role card) you should do the following:

> Place cubes into 1 region (equal to the number of rats in that region.)

> Move the Plague Bearer into a region (example: Turcia)

> If there are any rat tokens in Turcia then you must add rat tokens to the surrounding regions (Italia, Hungaria, Bulgaria, and/or Tartaria). So, if Turcia has a singular rat token then you only get to add 1 new rat token to a single neighboring region of your choice. If Turcia has plural rats, then you must add 2 rat tokens--either both into 1 neighboring region or split them up into 2 regions.

> After having placed the new rat tokens into neighboring regions, if Turcia has both cubes AND rat tokens within its borders, then the plague strikes that region. Flip 1 rat token at a time, evaluating each one, until either all the rat tokens are discarded/resolved or all the cubes have been eliminated.

> If there are no rat tokens in Turcia when you move in the Plague Bearer, then you add no rat tokens to the board, and the conditions for plague strike do not exist for that turn.

REMEMBER:
0 Rats = 0 New Rats Placed
1 Rat = 1 New Rat Placed
2-3 Rats = 2 New Rats Placed
ALWAYS in neighboring regions only.
NEVER more than 3 rats at once in any one region.

Also, check out this recent thread for advice on making the 2-player game (for beginners) more enjoyable--there are some common pitfalls.
Merde!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.