Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
BSG 607
badge
I might or might not be a Cylon...
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game just yet, but I recall that if West Indies Co. comes out in the first turn of Age II and everyone takes all 4 of the trade goods each turn, there are just enough trade goods to be distributed in the game.

So... with the Spoils of War - 2 Trade Goods coming in the expansion, what happens if the above scenario happens and the Spoils - 2 Trade Goods gets taken? I assume that if there are ever no trade goods in the supply, it's too bad for the person with the West Indies Co. building, but a clarification would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not much to say; when they're gone, they're gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this when looking through the new Capital Buildings. Unfortunately, it is typical of this, highly anticipated, but much flawed expansion.

Having posted previously, I really do not want to come across as a hater of this. I love Age of Empires and have been desperate for this expansion. But there are so many bits that need clarifying or seem to make no sense. Add on the price tag for what you get and it is even mor disapointing.

There is clearly huge potential for the expansion, many people have given it hugely high ratings. It is interesting to note that some of the early feed back has the builder at +2/+1 per region. This is what is still listed on the description on the Eagle Games page for the game, and I seem to remember being on the description section on BGG. The scoring is different, and the rules as to how to obtain a builder not included - assuming they have not changed also!

I am amazed that this has not been officially FAQd yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrayone wrote:
I assume that if there are ever no trade goods in the supply, it's too bad for the person with the West Indies Co. building...

Bingo. Not to mention it's bad for anyone else wanting to spend a colonist on trade goods (say, for example, so that they can make one more match, thereby increasing their income, thereby increasing their end-of-game income-to-VPs conversion. But thems are the breaks.

In any event, I doubt this would happen. This is IF West Indies comes out during the first turn (not going to happen very often, especially with the new capital buildings being added)...and IF someone buys it that first turn (it normally gets snatched up quickly, so I guess this is non-bolded "if")...and IF people are snatching up all the trade goods every single round (I'd say this happens 50% of the time)... and IF Spoils of War - 2 Trade Goods shows up (another big IF)... and IF someone grabs it (I can't imagine someone NOT grabbing it). So there's a pretty good chance this won't come up very often (if at all), especially if you don't have the luxury of playing multiple games of AOE III in a day/month/year.

So, yes, you make a good point about a possible good shortage, but it's one I think I can live with (and that doesn't break the game in any way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen about two turns in about 40 games where not all trade goods are taken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Potthoff
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus you also have the new Capital Building that allows you to sell trade goods back to the "bank".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtserick wrote:
Plus you also have the new Capital Building that allows you to sell trade goods back to the "bank".

Exactly. Now imagine having that tile (and have first position) on the track, combined with taking the Spoils of war; you could sell a good (perhaps even two) and take it back on the following turn.

Also: I think it adds another layer of tention to know that potentially you could run out of them in the last turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.