Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction: I finally decided to do it. You *can* fit all your Dominion cards *plus* randomizers *plus* promotional cards *and* the mats in the base game box. You'll have to ditch the sleeves, which you didn't need in the first place, and all them cards *are* heavy. But this system lets you easily grab several sets of Kingdom cards and supply cards for a game away from home without having to bring all your cards. Thanks goes to the BGG'ers who suggested using baggies to randomize cards, and to use penny sleeves as card holders. I originally posted this on the Dominion forums, but tweaked it a bit.

1. Go buy a pack of cheap penny sleeves. You won't be using them to sleeve your cards. You don't need to sleeve your cards -- unless they're in a game convention library.

2. Use the penny sleeves to store each set of Kingdom cards. They'll slip right in there. Dominion cards are slimmer than Magic cards, so you can get twelve or so Kingdom cards into a sleeve. You can also sleeve the Potions, Colony cards, and Platinum cards.

3. You can use a rubber band to separate the Kingdom cards by set. The rubber band doesn't actually touch the Kingdom cards, either.

4. Don't sleeve the supply cards or randomizers. Instead, sleeve some blank cards and the Trash card, and use them as "bookends", then wrap a rubber band around them. I even use the paper insert that comes with the Black Market promo as "protection" between the unsleeved cards and the rubber band.

6. Lay the Seaside mats on the bottom of the box. The Seaside mats are the biggest components. I put the Alchemy and Corucopia cards horizontally on top of the Seaside mats.

5. Lay the Prosperity mats on top of the sleeved cards. There's room.

7. Stick the tokens in the box. There's room.

8. If you want to use cardboard dividers, cut some from a box of cereal. The rubber bands will already hold the cards together, so you don't have to be exact.

9. When you want to randomize cards, take out the sleeved sets, throw them into the box lid, and take ten. No need to use the randomizer card or a smartphone. When you're done playing, put all the sets back in the box in whatever order and you'll be set for next time!

10. When you want to transport cards, use a smaller expansion box. Just grab a few handfuls of sleeved sets, the rubber-banded supply cards, and there you go.

EDIT: Even in a smaller box, it's still heavy. And the instruction booklets get smooshed a bit. Can't have everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rather famous BGG-er would say: PureDeadBrilliant! This has to be one of the most brilliantly simple ideas I have ever seen on the geek!

We have not been playing much Dominion of late because of the pain of setting up and cleaning up, even though I have a single box with tabs and such. Now that I've done as described above (I wasn't using sleeves anyway), pulling out 10 sets randomly, and chucking them back in afterwards, is a breeze.

Thanks for bringing Dominion back from the brink for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you post a picture for us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
opticode wrote:
As a rather famous BGG-er would say: PureDeadBrilliant! This has to be one of the most brilliantly simple ideas I have ever seen on the geek!

I was sternly corrected once and feel as though I must pass on the lesson: it's Pyuredeadbrilliant and accept no imitations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
opticode wrote:

I was sternly corrected once and feel as though I must pass on the lesson: it's Pyuredeadbrilliant and accept no imitations!

Of course, how could I forget!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowe
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
whoa
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this and it is definitely my favorite solution.

But just so people know:

You don't have to unsleeve all of your cards, you just need to have them in the right kind of sleeves. The newer Euro sleeves sold by Mayday fit very snugly on the Dominion cards, and a set of 10 cards sleeved in Mayday Euros will go inside one of the larger penny sleeves just fine.

Nor do I use any rubber bands and yet everything still stays in its place in the box just fine. Taping labels to the penny sleeves also works better than dividers, in my opinion, because it makes them easier to grab out of the box.

But, yeah, a great storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowe
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
whoa
mbmbmbmbmb
A somewhat lousy pic of my box to show how it looks:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Ohm Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I too used this solution, although I only had Ultra Pro sleeves.

Had fun cluing the banner on each sleeve gulp, but I really like the result!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
sleeves, which you didn't need in the first place

:O
I've tried playing a game with heavy shuffling without sleeving the cards. RoboRally. Before not too long, they're completely worn out. Never doing that again. I don't want to keep buying the game, that would be much more expensive that replacing cheap-ass sleeves when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got every card released, except The Governor, and all the mats and tokens in the original box. Notecard dividers between each kingdom card, it's not that hard. There's even room for expansions. I could take out the randomizers, extra blanks and duplicate basic supply cards and fit the future expansions with no worry.

They give you a big box, it's not difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:
I've got every card released, except The Governor, and all the mats and tokens in the original box. Notecard dividers between each kingdom card, it's not that hard. There's even room for expansions. I could take out the randomizers, extra blanks and duplicate basic supply cards and fit the future expansions with no worry.

Sure, but I think you missed the "lazy" part of this solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:

It's a whole different world when you don't sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone added Dominion Adventures and still stored everything this way? I bought someone's amazon big box though, so I will use that anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.