The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My store just got in the Upgrade Kits and the Tins w/ Sleeves. Those interested in picking up either should note that the two products look exactly the same. The Upgrade Kit (the new cards)is packed inside the Tin along with the sleeves. A casual shopper may think there are only Tins on the shelf.

If you flip one over, the item name is noted right above the bar code. As far as I can tell, the bar code area is the only differentiator.

The Upgrade Kit is also heavier and more expensive (natch').

edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to add I'm more than a bit disappointed that the upgrade kit does not include the new rulebook. Expecting players to download and print out a 48-page rulebook seems kinda cheap on the part of Ares, and leaves an upgrade kit that is only *mostly* an upgrade kit. I would have gladly paid for a rulebook and the new cards, even without the tin and sleeves, and even if it was a tad more expensive. Ah well, off to empty out my printer's toner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
I have to add I'm more than a bit disappointed that the upgrade kit does not include the new rulebook. Expecting players to download and print out a 48-page rulebook seems kinda cheap on the part of Ares, and leaves an upgrade kit that is only *mostly* an upgrade kit. I would have gladly paid for a rulebook and the new cards, even without the tin and sleeves, and even if it was a tad more expensive. Ah well, off to empty out my printer's toner.

How many publishers actually offer the oppertunity to upgarde a first edition game to the second edition?

Most actually simply ignores the owners of the first edition and "forces" the to buy the entire Second Edition game.

In the case of War of the Ring the changes were samll enough to allow for this. Adding the rulebook would increase the MSRP and most First Edition owners would argue "Why does Ares force us to pay for a rulebook we can download for free".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big difference between making us download a new copy of the rules versus providing them to us in an upgrade kit is the size of the box required. Ares obviously costed everything out and decided that a tin box would be both a saleable item on its own as well as being sufficient for the upgrade kit of cards, and so went with that idea.

Had they decided that the rulebook also needed to go in an upgrade pack, that would have required a much larger box. Boxes are expensive - usually the most expensive component in any game. I suspect that rules plus box would have cost *them* around $3-4, so you're looking at ADDING almost $20 to the shelf price - at which point nobody would buy it, making the exercise pointless. As it is, the upgrade deck of cards cost me about half what I paid for my copy of WotR when I bought it 7 years ago (partly due to the fact that prices have shot up over the last year or two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
How many publishers actually offer the oppertunity to upgarde a first edition game to the second edition?

Most actually simply ignores the owners of the first edition and "forces" the to buy the entire Second Edition game.

Adding the rulebook would increase the MSRP and most First Edition owners would argue "Why does Ares force us to pay for a rulebook we can download for free".

Of course. No one will be completely happy. See threads about "Why does Ares force us to pay for sleeves we don't want?"

But in my opinion (and it's just my opinion), if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly.

RDewsbery wrote:
Had they decided that the rulebook also needed to go in an upgrade pack, that would have required a much larger box.

Or they could, you know, fold it in half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never once in my life thought "why did they make this printed thing available instead of offering a PDF." Home printers simply aren't the quality of what a professional printer achieves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Our evaluation has been that the Rulebook was not different enough to be so interesting as an item for sale, as the actual differences in the rules are negligible. We're talking about people who OWN 1st Edition, so if they know how to play 1st edition, they know how to play 2nd Edition...

On the other hand, if you don't have the new cards, things are definitely more difficult, and would get worse when an Expansion come in. So THEY are a necessary purchase. I already explained about the tin/sleeve issue, and I have nothing to add on that.

Of course we might have been wrong - we'll think about adding them to the items which can be purchased as replacement parts (when, sooner or later, our semi-mythical e-store takes off!).

Then, I will let you know how many we sell :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the new rulebook is so much better.

Frankly, you could have put the new cards and the new rules in a plastic ziplock bag and sold it. By definition it's a short-term product and does not need a lot of bells-n-whistles. No tins, no sleeves, no box. Cheaper cost, everyone is happy.

And then you could have sold tins and sleeves to those that wanted them, potentially making a higher per-customer profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, just buy the 2nd edition, then sell your 1st edition. In the end this will cost you less than the upgrade process, and you'll have the new board, rulebook and cards.
Also, you can cannily swop over the pieces so you get to play with nice, hard, old figures while whoever buys your old game gets the new, soft, squidgey ones. You keep Gollum, obviously...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
Oh, just buy the 2nd edition, then sell your 1st edition. In the end this will cost you less than the upgrade process, and you'll have the new board, rulebook and cards.
Also, you can cannily swop over the pieces so you get to play with nice, hard, old figures while whoever buys your old game gets the new, soft, squidgey ones. You keep Gollum, obviously...

There's a difference between the old and new figures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The new figures are softer and slightly larger. I don't know if this is purely a result of age, or because of different production methods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
The new figures are softer and slightly larger. I don't know if this is purely a result of age, or because of different production methods.

The Nazgul (sic) are also superior sculpts in teh new version - not so tippy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.