Ed
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
doofus, doofī, doofō, doofum, doofō; doofī, doofōrum, doofīs, doofōs, doofīs
badge
I'd keep my finger away from his mouth if I were you. He looks a little unstable.
mbmbmb
So my friend and I have a long-running thought experiment in which we're both in the very gradual process of creating the details and histories of imaginary countries on a continent inserted into the North Pacific.

I've grown weary of my original name for my country (Ericrea--I just found a country name that was very similar to my own name and adjusted it accordingly) and am looking to make a name with a little more thought behind it. Though our views of shifted world events in our scenario of a new continent are always in flux, at least for now we've decided it'd be at least plausible for the Koreans or Portuguese to have contributed a widely-accepted name for my country, which is along the west coast of the continent. Its coast also has a significant amount of cliffs, and so that idea will be prominent in the ideas I'm thinking of.

Problem is I'm not at all familiar with either Korean or Portuguese. SO, I was hoping some folks here who are familiar with one of the two languages (or both, even!) might be able to help me infuse my concepts with a bit more credibility.

For those familiar with Korean: From what I've been able to find so far, it seems legitimate to construct a Korean place name out of two geographical features of that place. As such, I wanted to give it a name combining the words for "cliff" and "coast." From my internettings, I've come across "yeon-an" (연안) and "hae-an" (해안) as words for "coast," and "jeolbyeog" (절벽) as the word for "cliff." I noticed that the second part of that word also seems to be the word for "wall," and since I'd prefer a shorter name, I've been dropping the "jeol" part.

First off, are my assumptions about conventions for naming of foreign lands sound? Next, is one of the words for coast more appropriate? I've somewhat arbitrarily chosen to go with hae-an. Also, is the dropping down to just byeog a legit thing to do? On the assumption that those things are alright, I've been putting them together as either "hae-an byeog" (해안벽) or "byeog hae-an" (벽해안). Assuming either of them is correct at all, is one of them more correct?

For those familiar with Portuguese: This may become moot if somebody familiar with Korean informs me that my constructions above are rubbish, but I'll ask anyway. To add some of that lovely historical imperfection to the origin of my country name, I was thinking it might be interesting if the widely-used name was a European corruption of a Korean name, and I've (almost entirely arbitrarily, admittedly) decided it should be Portuguese.

If my Korean names are plausible (a big "if," mind you), I was wondering if there were Portuguese words they might be misheard as. Until someone informs me how incorrect they are, my two possible Korean place names are "byeog hae-an" or "hae-an byeog." If you could imagine a Portuguese sailor hearing these in the Age of Exploration, is there a way you think he might be likely to mishear them? Some similar-sounding Portuguese words that might also seem like a valid way to describe a place (even if it doesn't seem to make complete sense)?

Thanks for any help, guys!

PS: History buffs are also welcome to offer their opinions on the whole situation, but be aware that I have the trump card of "Ya, well, there's a whole new continent so everything could have gone differently," and I'm not afraid to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.