Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fresco» Forums » General

Subject: Fresco 3-Player: Is sandbagging beatable when portraits are in play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Bogdan
msg tools
I've only played a handful of games, and only have the base box with the first 3 mods, but I've hit a major wall with Fresco (a game I was quite excited about at first look).

My problem is that in a 3 person game, it seems that whoever has the pleasure of going first can sandbag, hold starting player, and simply close out the market every turn, buy the portraits, and keep the other two players from ever being in the game.

The issue seems to be that the first player can take the earliest wake up time every time, will eventually get the permanent +1 to every theater action and until then live on max happiness cards to keep workers.

With that the game seems to be completely one sided, and while the other two players get money every turn, they have no access to paint and the game seems to be broken at that point.

I realize that eventually the starting player has to move, but they could simply wait until the card deck forces the game to be almost over, then paint 6 times and win.

Is there something our group is doing wrong? Is there a way to combat this issue with starting player having complete control over the entire game and can cut the other 2 players turns down to nothing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opabrawl wrote:
My problem is that in a 3 person game, it seems that whoever has the pleasure of going first can sandbag, hold starting player, and simply close out the market every turn, buy the portraits, and keep the other two players from ever being in the game.

Is there something our group is doing wrong? Is there a way to combat this issue with starting player having complete control over the entire game and can cut the other 2 players turns down to nothing?

Sounds like you're playing wrong. First player can only buy from and close one market in total, leaving 3 for the other players no matter what he does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
opabrawl wrote:

Sounds like you're playing wrong. First player can only buy from and close one market in total, leaving 3 for the other players no matter what he does.

Also, each player can only take one of the portraits each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that's a common mistake. So don't worry. When I first went over the rules I also thought I could close all the markets.

UnknownParkerBrother & Colin is correct.
You can only close 1 market per turn.
You can only take 1 portrait card per turn, any extra meeples assigned to the Portrait Studio can only take Thalers.

So give it another go I think you'll find that it'll help balance things out.

Ooh, I'll also point you to the Video Instructions of the game, it helped me clear up a lot of my misconceptions.
Fresco Board Game Official Tutorial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bogdan
msg tools
Yeah, that changes just about everything, and DEFINITELY balances it out.

Thanks, I figured something was off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
Actually, that's a common mistake. So don't worry. When I first went over the rules I also thought I could close all the markets.

I also did the exact same thing the first time I played. I kept wondering how the last person to wake up was ever going to get any paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Played it yesterday with three players for the first time and it was boring. The first player always closed all three market stalls and the rest couldn't get any paint. Playing it that way there are no real decisions in the whole game. Glad to here we did it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.