BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solitaire with less battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Sheusi

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that many solitaire games try to lengthen your gameplay by having repetitive encounters to waste time.

Obviously this is a common ploy because, lets face it, its very hard to make an engaging solitaire game. i get that.

But i figured i'd ask the question anyways. Is there a solitaire game that focuses more on economy, trading, exploration, or a plot rather than battles?

Nothing against battles, i like them! just not all the time. too much of a good thing haha

any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Quote:
any suggestions?

some solitaires I play(ed):
Free Trader
Aether Captains: Clockwork Cabal
Zombie in my Pocket
Airborne in my Pocket
these all have some kinda enemy-encounters but the main focus is more on exploration (and trading in case of Free Trader)

can be played solitaire:
Pandemic
Red November
no battles, but 'fight' against bad things happening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peloponnes is supposed to be pretty good solitaire. I have only played it with 4+ players. Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age has a solitaire mode, which I also haven't tried. Both are "recommended" with 1 players, according to BGG voters.

Lots of cooperative games can be played solitaire. Personally I don't like controlling multiple pawns. Some that I have enjoyed solitaire are:
Vanished Planet (exploration, resource collection)
Flash Point: Fire Rescue (fight a fire and rescue victims)
Exalted: Legacy of the Unconquered Sun (but it is a series of battles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Ghost Stories

For a more standard euro, At the Gates of Loyang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 At the Gates of Loyang
+1 Peloponnes
+1 Pandemic

also: Onirim, K2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geeklist: Paragraph based games (open list). All the games are "Paragraph Games" meaning the story is almost entirely driven by a plot interwoven from random or semi-random events. My current hotness in this genre is Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game which is free and absolutely fantastic if you're a big fan of Doctor Who. Examples of some well-regarded games in this genre include The Return of the Stainless Steel Rat, Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora, and Star Trek: The Adventure Game. BGG User Todd Sanders has just done a beautiful re-design of the classic Barbarian Prince that's available for print and play (Files in the file section for the game).

Basically, if you go this route, pick the type of game that has the most appealing theme to you. These games are all about immersing yourself in the story that unfolds. If you're not vested in your character, you can't enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for an engaging solitaire game look no further than Mage Knight. Yes, it does have a lot of battles but the complexity and depth of the game mechanics makes it a delight to play. If you have any affection for fantasy or rpg's then Mage Knight is a must buy.

Everything in the game is driven by a light deck building mechanic that simulates your growth of power over time. A normal game is 6 rounds, where a round is defined as going through your deck once. Your goal then is to play each hand optimally to achieve the scenario mission. Movement, combat, exploration, interaction is all handled by the cards you play. Finding the optimal combination of cards each turn is where the fun lies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
Not sure if Merkator is soloable.

It is, but not so good. AtGof Loyang is the best of the bunch, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oceania is a quick solo game where you're discovering islands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sheusi

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im really looking for actual solitaire games...a vast majority of the games listed are games created for multiple players but just happen to have solitaire variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.