Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dune» Forums » General

Subject: Movement Questions: Do these territories touch in more than one sector? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I've been bad at searching the archive, links to instructions would be nice.

I'm poring over the Dune map, and I have two questions for you more experienced folk:

1 - In the sector with Carthag, may I move tokens between Imperial Basin and Old Gap? (If the storm is over Arrakeen, say.)

2 - In the sector with The Greater Flat, may I move tokens between Habbanya Erg and False Wall West?

I have the AH red edition, and the lines are very close. Just by looking, I'd say both should be allowed, barely, but I'd like some more opinions, especially if the matter ever came up in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can't move, in either cases.
Some might disagree of course .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I see there are different opinions among map makers too. I've looked at every image on BGG of custom maps. Most follow the original and are vague, but some make it very clear. Some allow one and not the other, some the other way.

I wonder if there's a consensus, or actual game play reasons for or against each connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Looking at the original game board, I would be inclined to say "no" to the first and "yes" to the second. However, I do agree that they are vague and I would be prepared to accept alternate rulings on either if the other players in a game felt differently.

If you allow Imperial Basin to Old Gap, there's no mechanical benefit that I can see. You can't harvest the spice in Old Gap if the storm is over Arrakeen since the dot is in the wrong sector (not that there would be any spice left anyway - the storm would have removed it by now.) You're equally likely to lose your units in either territory since the storm is still adjacent, and there's no multi-territory path of movement that gets shorter by going to Old Gap first. I say "no" based on my gut reaction, but allowing it doesn't give any significant benefit that I can see anyway.

The Habbanya erg > False Wall West move does provide a mechanical advantage in that the Wall is protected from the storm, although in order for this point of contact to matter the storm would have already passed by and really can't wrap around the board in time for it matter. I suppose being stuck in Habbanya Erg might lead to your units getting eaten by a worm in the following spice blow phase, but that's a fairly minimal risk. Overall, I wouldn't say there's a real mechanical benefit to ruling for or against either connection.

If you're playing with a custom board that makes either of these points clearer, I would be inclined to go with whatever that board shows. Dune is known for rampant house ruling in pretty much every aspect of play, so as far as those go I just say "play with the rules you want, just be consistent among yourselves."

If the board you're using is a vague one and you want to avoid a debate, just point those two conditions out and come to a consensus among your own player group before play begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Stephen - just pick a ruling and don't worry about it. The times when these cases will actually matter will be so rare as to be virtually nonexistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.