Subject: Buy now or wait for reprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilan Spieler

Campbell
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely going to buy this game, but I am not sure if I should buy it now or wait for the reprint. The reprint should be a bit cheaper because the game will not be so hard to find and the errors on some of the cards will be corrected. For people who have the game, do the errors have much of an impact on the gameplay? If there are going to be any major changes in the reprint, I would want to wait. I am trying to convince myself to just pick up a copy of Magic Realm for now and wait until the second print run of Mage Knight, but it is very tempting to buy Mage Knight now.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The errors on the cards affect gameplay, but the errata printed in the rules fixes them without even having to look up an FAQ. I see no reason to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the plunge...already found it hard to find a shop to ship to New Zealand (well a shop with the game in stock)

Just placed my order with Boards and Bits

Yes I paid a bit for it, but everything I have read/watched so far convinced me not to wait, and as Qbert80 mentioned the errata in the rules fix this.

Now just waiting for the game to ship, already contacted B&B before order placed and they confirmed in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Russell,
My copy from the States to NZ took from Monday to a week on Friday. This is about long enough for you to come to terms with rules. Or maybe not fully in my case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harmonics49 wrote:
I am definitely going to buy this game, but I am not sure if I should buy it now or wait for the reprint. The reprint should be a bit cheaper because the game will not be so hard to find and the errors on some of the cards will be corrected. For people who have the game, do the errors have much of an impact on the gameplay? If there are going to be any major changes in the reprint, I would want to wait. I am trying to convince myself to just pick up a copy of Magic Realm for now and wait until the second print run of Mage Knight, but it is very tempting to buy Mage Knight now.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I'm waiting for the reprint. It will come soon enough, I have plenty of other fun games to play that I don't play often enough.

I intentionally passed up the last $55 deals I found a couple of days ago (gone now) to wait on it. I'd rather have a version with corrected components, and if I have to wait six months or a year for it, I won't melt away in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harmonics49 wrote:
For people who have the game, do the errors have much of an impact on the gameplay?

No. You read the errata in the rule book, and you're all set. You already can't heal in combat (one of the misprints implies that it allows this), and you explain that Tornado isn't God-mode. Then there are no real surprises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had the same conflict. Until I played my friend's copy, I was in no hurry to buy a copy of my own. However, the components are really nice (some of the minis have translucent features, for example, and the card art is really nice in my opinion) and the gameplay is more fun than I had expected it would be.

I have a different group of friends that I play with and none of us own a copy of the game. I thought the same thing you did--"We have plenty of other games to play"--which is true. Plus, I was satisfied with the possibility of having corrected cards (which, as other posters have said, do not affect gameplay as long as you look at the errata beforehand and know which cards have corrections. It really doesn't disrupt gameplay at all in my opinion). But I found myself still thinking about the game and strategies to play it well after I played my first few games and therefore decided to take the plunge and buy a copy after all.

Two things changed my mind:

The first was that I found one of those $55 deals. This was the cheapest I ever found the game and it is well worth the money. If I had to pay $70 (which is I guess what the price is now at the places that have it), I would have waited because, to me, that's not much of a deal.

The second is that someone mentioned in another thread that the reprint will likely be several months away. After thinking about the game, and thinking about the game, and realizing how much I really enjoyed it, I realized I didn't want to wait 4+ months for a copy.

Will it take that long? I don't know, but I imagine it will take at least several months. Creating new card proofs, making sure the printer has them right, getting in line with the printer's other customers (I'm sure the printer isn't just waiting around with their printers off, waiting for someone to call up and say "Print my game!"--I imagine they've got orders booked out several weeks in advance at least so that they can stay in business), making and painting new minis, shipping across the ocean in a big cargo ship, clearing customs, distributing out to retailers--it's probably going to be a while.

That's why I bought my copy now: the advantages of buying now outweighed the advantages of waiting FOR ME. Your case may be different.

Honestly, if you're having to pay close to retail price for a copy, I would wait. Is the game good? Sure. But if you haven't played it yet, it will still be fresh and exciting whether your first play is a week from now or a few months from now. Is this game a reason to put all your other games on hold? No, enjoy the games you have. When this reprint arrives (and you're right, it WILL arrive) with corrected components and a more reasonable price, the time you waited won't matter anymore.

Just some things to think about and the opinions of someone who was in your shoes about a week ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Spieler

Campbell
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I broke down and bought it since there does not seem to be any big reason to wait and the game sounds really great. I ended up adding a couple of pre-ordered games to my order (Space Empires 4X and Wiz-War), so I will still have to wait a couple of weeks, but at least I won't have to wait for months for the reprint.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.