Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... so far Gingrich's biggest complaints about Romney are that he

1) Was a successful businessman.
2) Likes to have the option of firing companies that provide him crappy service solutions.
3) Put his dog on top of the car in a carrier. Dog was otherwise perfectly happy about the whole affair.
4) Speaks French

I probably won't vote for Romney, but man, this is just embarassing for Gingrich. Really? That's all you got? Really, Newt? I'd be super ticked if I had donated money to Mr. Gingrich at any point. What a waste. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Let's see... so far Gingrich's biggest complaints about Romney are that he

1) Was a successful businessman.
2) Likes to have the option of firing companies that provide him crappy service solutions.
3) Put his dog on top of the car in a carrier. Dog was otherwise perfectly happy about the whole affair.
4) Speaks French

I probably won't vote for Romney, but man, this is just embarassing for Gingrich. Really? That's all you got? Really, Newt? I'd be super ticked if I had donated money to Mr. Gingrich at any point. What a waste. shake

The shame of it all is that each of these attacks is being effective.

What kind of world do we live in when leaders may speak foreign languages, commonly travel overseas, gain doctorate educations in foreign history (that one's Newt, too!), etc...

...when the common voter clings to their bibles, speaking only one language (poorly), with little knowledge of the world owing to no travel and dropping out of college before graduating (with about a fifth of the country not even finishing high school).

How have things become so wildly and ridiculously extreme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every nation has cultural idiocy, the American right wing doesn't hold the monopoly on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's as substantial as American Gladiators.
The election will make no difference - Big Finance will still be pulling the strings.
Enjoy the pantomime though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
Every nation has cultural idiocy, the American right wing doesn't hold the monopoly on this.

Of course not. And, as far as I can tell, nobody said so (well, there´s the title of this thread, I´ll admit). But as much as I hate chiming in on clichés I have yet to see another country where being well educated can and will be held against you in a presidential campaign.

I am not trying to bash the USA in general, knowing that as much as they seem to provide the least educated young people in the western world they also provide the best educated, I am just trying to understand how things can come to this. Reading that article linked above really feels like reading a piece in The Onion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:

I am not trying to bash the USA in general, knowing that as much as they seem to provide the least educated young people in the western world they also provide the best educated, I am just trying to understand how things can come to this.

Gee, that's awfully white of you! It takes a rare beast to try to understand that the USA has to provide those least educated young people in order to staff the wars it periodically has to prosecute against those countries in the western world who every so often just deem themselves superior to everybody else. Sadly, we have to keep their tiny minds occupied during the gaps between those wars with other, even less useful wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Gingrich make an apology to "the Spanish" ( actually Mexican-Americans) in Spanish! Obviously, since he spoke Spanish he's for free immigration, anchor babies and bi-lingual education.

ejmowrer wrote:

Link? I'd like to see that interview with the dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
MyTwoCents wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16549624

Romney speaks French, so did John Kerry. Therefore Romney is, what exactly?

The man lived in France for 2 years, of course he speaks French!

I know there's some bizarre and incomprehensible ideas boiling around in the brains of the American right, but is it really the case that the willingness and ability to speak a foreign language is somehow an impediment to being President?

Seriously guys, as long as stuff like this is considered sane political discourse by a significant percentage of Americans, the rest of the planet will keep staring at you with open mouths, slowly shaking their heads!

It's not the ability to speak a foreign language. It's the ability to speak French, fer chrissakes. American conservatives hate the French - something to do with their ingratitude after we saved their bacon in two world wars, their withdrawal from the NATO command structure, and their very public rejection of the Iraq war. I personally respect the French for doing what they believe is right for France (especially Clemenceau and de Gaulle), but that kind of attitude doesn't play well with conservatives.

I know the ingratitude of a nation that the USA tried to foist a collaborationist and anti-Semite admiral onto over a man who had refused to surrender to the Germans, the cheek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey look, people bashing the US for it's perceived bashing of the French. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
oldsin wrote:

I am not trying to bash the USA in general, knowing that as much as they seem to provide the least educated young people in the western world they also provide the best educated, I am just trying to understand how things can come to this.

Gee, that's awfully white of you! It takes a rare beast to try to understand that the USA has to provide those least educated young people in order to staff the wars it periodically has to prosecute against those countries in the western world who every so often just deem themselves superior to everybody else. Sadly, we have to keep their tiny minds occupied during the gaps between those wars with other, even less useful wars.

Unlike the USA which has never deemed itsself to have a destiny to rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Hey look, people bashing the US for it's perceived bashing of the French. :shake:

I thought it was about bashing educated Americans, not the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Oh fuck off, England. If it wasn't for your pathetic inability to defend yourself nobody over here would have even had to bother putting the Germans in their place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

You're one of the one's bashing. You tell me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Oh fuck off, England. If it wasn't for your pathetic inability to defend yourself nobody over here would have even had to bother putting the Germans in their place.

Keep on like this and we may get another locked thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So, Bashing the US is OK, but bashing England isn't? Check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
Hey look, people bashing the US for it's perceived bashing of the French. :shake:

No I am poinitng out Americas mistakes, or are you saying that it was not a mistake to try and force the French to accept a formeer collaberator as thier leader, and that this is not one reason for frances (mild) hostility to the USA? If you want to make comments about how 'ungratfull' nations are at least lets have a discusion as to why they might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

No I am poinitng out Americas mistakes, or are you saying that it was not a mistake to try and force the French to accept a formeer collaberator as thier leader, and that this is not one reason for frances (mild) hostility to the USA? If you want to make comments about how 'ungratfull' nations are at least lets have a discusion as to why they might be.

You said it was about "Bashing Americans". So you said it in the very response to my first post. So, once again, you tell me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So, Bashing the US is OK, but bashing England isn't? Check :what:

I don;t recal saying 'fuck off, USA' or calling the USA pathetic, I just pointed out that the USA made a political blunder by tyring to foisr Delan into the French as thier leader, and that is why there is some Anti-American sentimant in France. Indeed I am not even sure how this can be seen as USA bashing. My only otehr comment in a similar vein just pointed out that America has also seen itself in the past a superior and has enganged in the same kind of taking land away from those it considers its inferiors. How is saying the USA is not better then anyone else bashing the USA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So, Bashing the US is OK, but bashing England isn't? Check

I don;t recal saying 'fuck off, USA' or calling the USA pathetic, I just pointed out that the USA made a political blunder by tyring to foisr Delan into the French as thier leader, and that is why there is some Anti-American sentimant in France. Indeed I am not even sure how this can be seen as USA bashing. My only otehr comment in a similar vein just pointed out that America has also seen itself in the past a superior and has enganged in the same kind of taking land away from those it considers its inferiors. How is saying the USA is not better then anyone else bashing the USA?

And I didn't specifically say you were. I was speaking in general, about the thread, and more specifically about Chiddler, and his continual US-bashing. But you chose to respond, so, once again, you tell me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

You said it was about "Bashing Americans". So you said it in the very response to my first post. So, once again, you tell me.

No I said it was about 'Bashing educated American' I shall now explain what I meant by the confusing comment. The OP posts a story about an American presidential candidate being bashed (by Americans, not non-Americans) for being educated (at least thats the implication in the OP), you then say look people bashing Americasn for bashing the Frenach, I then point out that no the story (and the thread, I realise now I should have been more clear) is about bashing educated Americans and not about the French being bashed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyTwoCents wrote:
oldsin wrote:
tstone wrote:

Of course not. And, as far as I can tell, nobody said so (well, there´s the title of this thread, I´ll admit). But as much as I hate chiming in on clichés I have yet to see another country where being well educated can and will be held against you in a presidential campaign.

I am not trying to bash the USA in general, knowing that as much as they seem to provide the least educated young people in the western world they also provide the best educated, I am just trying to understand how things can come to this. Reading that article linked above really feels like reading a piece in The Onion.

Well the title of the thread refers to the expectations of the ad makers. They obviously think that Romney's francophone tendencies will actually put a significant percentage of people off voting for him, which is just a staggering indictment of the intelligence of the voters in at least the Republican primaries. All those voters are, I'm afraid American, and I think all non-Americans on this board will agree that something like this just wouldn't happen in our countries, because nowhere else is intelligence and education seen as something bad in a leader!

While I completely agree with you that Gingrich's ad about Romney being a francophone is pathetic, to use it to paint a wide brush on Americans, people on the right, or Republicans is also pathetic. The ad is an act by a desperate man failing in the polls trying to win South Carolina, hoping it will pull some of the country folks his way. It also perfectly demonstrates why Gingrich would make a terrible president.

I'm moderate and hate both extremes. I attended the Iowa caucus and have not heard any racism or ignorant comments in there (surprisingly with Santorum supporters present), and most of those people would be to the right of me and I disagree with a portion of their platform.

Even W, one of the bottom presidents, spoke Spanish fluently (or in his garbled speak) and wasn't an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

No I said it was about 'Bashing educated American' I shall now explain what I meant by the confusing comment. The OP posts a story about an American presidential candidate being bashed (by Americans, not non-Americans) for being educated (at least thats the implication in the OP), you then say look people bashing Americasn for bashing the Frenach, I then point out that no the story (and the thread, I realise now I should have been more clear) is about bashing educated Americans and not about the French being bashed.

It was an ad by Gingrich bashing Romney. Is it working? Are there poll numbers with Americans or Republicans or likely voters (who may or may not be Republicans)? The OP painted a wide brush on Americans or Americans on the right, without evidence the support was beyond Gingrich and his staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So, Bashing the US is OK, but bashing England isn't? Check :what:

And I didn't specifically say you were. I was speaking in general, about the thread, and more specifically about Chiddler, and his continual US-bashing. But you chose to respond, so, once again, you tell me.

It's not bashing the USA, its bashing those Americans who think speaking French is a negative quality. Do you think this kiind of mentality is intelegent and mature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Keep on like what? Insulting countries? Give me a break, that's the bread and butter of semi-anonymous Chiddlers all over this forum. Fuck shortsighted nationalism no matter from whence it springs. Fuck 20/20 nationalism, for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

No, the point of the thread is that Chiddler is a well known US-Basher, and 6 people, 5 of which are not in the US, decided his post is worth thumbing, leading me to conclude that they agree with Chiddler's continual US-bashing, this time over the urban legend of America's dislike of the French (and by association Mitt and John's ability to speak French), and thus my post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.