6 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: When are VPs counted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxx Flavin
United States
flag msg tools
This is the only question I've still got after reading through the rules and looking at a quickstart guide or two, I'm darn certain I MUST be missing my answer somewhere obvious enough to overlook, but... When the heck are victory points counted?! Example:

Let's say I have Colony Ship in my hand. I play it during the development phase, discarding 2 cards and thus placing it on my tableau. In the little hexagon next to the development cost is a 1.
1) At that moment (once the card is placed on my tableau) do I receive 1 VP from the bank in the middle? Or do I only receive 1 VP if that card is in my tableau at the end of the game?
1a) If I only get the VP at the end of the game, then how is the end ever reached by running out of VPs as the rulebook explains is one of the possible end game scenarios - if none are ever being given out?
1b) If I do get the VP at the moment the card is played - what happens when I choose to use the special III power to discard Colony Ship?.. It then leaves my Tableau, so do I have to give that VP back to the bank or do I get to keep or for once having had developed a Colony Ship? :)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got quite a few more questions than that

You get point chips from the middle mainly from using 'consume powers' during 'consume' phases. It's one of the 5 phases.

You don't get point chips for playing cards.

At the end, you add up the points on the cards and the points from your chips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
United States
Mahwah
NJ
flag msg tools
1) Developments and worlds in your tableau count for VPs at the end of the game.

1a) You're misreading the rules here--the game ends if the VP chips run out, but players do *not* take these chips when they build developments or settle worlds. Players acquire these chips by using Consume powers in phase 4 (and can potentially get lots of them by calling the "Consume x2" role).

1b) If you discard Colony Ship (or the similar New Military Tactics), you don't count its VPs anymore. Only cards actually in your tableau count for points at the end.

Side note: a great way to learn the rules of Race is to download Keldon's AI program (check the other threads in this forum) and play against the computer a few times. Note that you WILL get your butt kicked at first

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Knutson
United States
Holden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm a newbie myself so I will defer to the grizzled veterans on this site to confirm or correct me on this. From the fules it says ...

Quote:
Beside a world’s circle is its victory point value. This adds to the player’s final victory point total at the end of the game.

Developments have something similar ...

Quote:
Next to a development’s diamond is its victory point (VP) value. It adds to the player’s final victory point total at the end of the game.

Now I take that to mean that you do not take VP tokens when you place a development or world that has a VP value. Good question though, as a newbie myself I had the same question until I found that in the manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
There are two basic ways to earn VPs:

1. The VPs printed on the cards. These are counted at the end of the game and are NOT given out as chips.

2. VPs obtained through phase IV card powers, e.g. consuming goods. These are given as chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
VP chips are handed out during the Consume action, see rules, page 6.

Besides the text details, there is also a sidebar picture on the top of page 6 that depicts VP chips and gives the Consume action summary: "use consume powers if possible, typically to discard goods for victory point *chips*" (original emphasis).

At the end of the game, total your VPs for cards (still) in tableau, 6-cost "?" developments, and any VP chips you earned during play. So your Colony Ship, if used before the end of the game, doesn't earn any VPs for you (but the world you used the Colony Ship to place will).

The sidebar summary on page 7 states that at game end "each player totals:
* tableau card VPs
* VP chips
* VPs for "?" developments

The player with the most VPs wins!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.