Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has two parts to it!

First, I am just curious to see how many thumbs I can get in one thread. (I know that everyone here likes board games... Why else would this site be called Boardgamegeek??)

Second, I was curious to see what games have surprised people. Meaning? You initially sat down to play a new game and were not expecting much out of it, but found that at the end of the game you either wanted to play again or at least had a great time playing! (Maybe even to the extent of buying the game to add to your collection...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Quarriors surprised me. Didn't expect much from a dice building game. Loved it to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne surprised me... when i first saw it on xbox live, i tried th e tutorial, and I didnt like it. I tried it a couple of years later in person, and I really liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders & JAB: Realtime Boxing

I purchased both of these games as part of a pack with Belfort (which I was primarily interested in). I wasn't particularly interested in either game, but I ended up loving both of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
First, I am just curious to see how many thumbs I can get in one thread.

Provide some useful content and you might get a lot. Write a review, a session report, game analysis, something. Just saying yippee, I want thumbs isn't likely to get that many (not from me, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I thought Commands & Colors: Ancients would be OK. It was perfect. Sylla also impressed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Québec has some really unique game mechanics that surprised me (in a good way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:

The Feel the Love folks in the community section are pretty darn thumb happy! meeple thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised at how fast and fun We Didn't Playtest This At All is. Let's play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Dominant Species was a total blast! I love this game so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness surprised me, because for all the hard time it sometimes gets on the forums, it's overall a great fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Binney
United Kingdom
skipton
north yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a game that really surprised me was cosmic encounter. it looked an ok game and probably wouldnt have bought it myself. a friend in my board game group happened to purchase it so of course i was happy to give it a go and loved it. i want it to be at least brought to the table each time we gather now even if we don't play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
brdk18 wrote:

Provide some useful content and you might get a lot. Write a review, a session report, game analysis, something. Just saying yippee, I want thumbs isn't likely to get that many (not from me, anyway).

I am sorry if I angered/offended you. I was only curious to see how many people look at the thread sections. I figured the thumb aspect would be a good gauge to keep track. If you like, I can try and figure out how to take this thread down.

On the other hand, I feel that this thread has given some useful content! Many people have shared games that I have never heard of. (others might not have heard of them either!) These games are ones that people thought might be bad- and turned out to be really good! I am always on the lookout for new and different games, and this thread has helped me do that. I hope it has helped others as well!

Now for my contribution to the list on games on this thread:
Citadels and Lost Cities.

Citadels did not spark my interest when my cousin brought it out at a family gathering... I played it to be nice, and ended up ordering it within the week!

Lost cities seemed almost too easy to even give a shot. My aunt and I played, and I instantly found that the game had quite a bit to offer. I received this game as a Christmas gift a month later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo really surprised me. I looked at reviews where people oozed love about the game, but after hearing about the game mechanics, I thought there was no way I'd enjoy the game enough to consider buying it. Then a buddy of mine purchased it, so I played it. WOW was I wrong. That game is just ridiculously fun, for casual and hardcore gamers alike. Everyone who plays it seems to love it.

But of course by that time, the game was sold out and unavailable at a reasonable price. So I'm among the many gamers awaiting the second printing of the game to arrive in March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
[thing=70323]But of course by that time, the game was sold out and unavailable at a reasonable price. So I'm among the many gamers awaiting the second printing of the game to arrive in March.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider reasonable cost? I ask because I found the game on Amazon for $44.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Lello-IEL-51032-King-Tokyo/dp/B004U5R5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
[thing=70323]But of course by that time, the game was sold out and unavailable at a reasonable price. So I'm among the many gamers awaiting the second printing of the game to arrive in March.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider reasonable cost? I ask because I found the game on Amazon for $44.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Lello-IEL-51032-King-Tokyo/dp/B004U5R5...

That seems a bit high , yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to YouTube.

Always stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
I am sorry if I angered/offended you.

No need to apologize; I was neither angered nor offended. You're a new user, looking for information, and I was just trying to help by pointing you in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Fresco a pleasant surprise. I'm not much for Euros in general, but I'd like another go at this one!

Welcome to BGG! Go with Sphere's suggestions and you'll have LOADS of thumbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanto Cuore. Figured it was going to be just another deck building game, but now it's probably the most often played game in my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
This thread has two parts to it!

First, I am just curious to see how many thumbs I can get in one thread. (I know that everyone here likes board games... Why else would this site be called Boardgamegeek??)

If you really want to get lots of thumbs just post some pictures of scantily clad women playing boardgames. that seems to generate a lot of thumbing.

brdk18 wrote:
Second, I was curious to see what games have surprised people. Meaning? You initially sat down to play a new game and were not expecting much out of it, but found that at the end of the game you either wanted to play again or at least had a great time playing! (Maybe even to the extent of buying the game to add to your collection...)

At least had a great time playing.... Welcome Back, Kotter The Up Your Nose With A Rubber Hose Game last night ! It was kind of a gag gift from a friend but , last night some folks were over and after a great game of Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game they wanted to play the Welcome Back Kotter game we had told them about. It was actually pretty fun. Lots of "take that" action. Pretty fun to imitate the various characters from the show for added flavor as well. Definately a "beer and pretzels" and then more beer, game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:

I think there's a geeklist for this.

As for thumbs, I think there's a thread for that, too.

If not, make one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.