Subject: My Dragon Quest slimes, with cards & miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
So, yeah.

Not to steal daniken's thunder, but I went ahead and created my own set of slime rules, along with miniatures (which I find barely adequate, but apparently my friends consider their derpy looks 'charming' and 'cute').

The goal behind my slime rules was to capture the 'feel' of the Dragon Quest slime family; rather than try to squeeze in every possibility, I chose 5 of the most 'different' looking slimes (regular Slime, Kingslime, Healslime, Bubble Slime, and Metal Slime) and tried to give them rules to fit their unique personalities as shown in the game.

The Goobody rule (on the back of the card, which all slimes have) basically says that slimes cannot take a run action, because their bodies just won't goo that fast. I chose that to balance out some of the other advantages they have, like being the only spawner that gives a healer (albeit a limited one).

Also, the Metalys... well, I'll go into them later.

The spawn point comes with:
4 Slimes
2 Blubblies
1 Healie
1 Dukeslime
1 Metaly

Pretty basic; 3 blue dice were chosen to make the slime at least somewhat credible at combat in the beginning of the game (as slimes are in DQ!), but it fails pretty hard at the end, making their most important role the creation of Dukeslimes.

The Dukeslime is activated immediately to make up for (basically) wasting a turn on the four slimes Combining, plus giving the slimes a somewhat faster mode of transport.

In some ways, these guys were intended as generic filler; but as handers-out of Poison they get pretty nasty. The Snotshot ability was added so that the spawner has some ranged ability, as well as giving the Blubblie a more unique role.

Healies. These guys are REALLY good; the primary reason for choosing the spawn point, and yet they are perfectly balanced. One point of healing is good, but because it costs the Consul 2 skulls to do is reasonable to overcome. I'll often find that spawning and hiding a Healie when the boss is close to spawning is a lifesaver - and taking out the Healie is a big deal for the heroes. Plus he's an OK attacker in a pinch.

BLUB. Kingslimes are weak on defense and hard to summon (taking out regular Slimes is high priority in the games we've played!) but they hit HARD. Note too that they're regular Denizens, meaning they benefit from Loot cards drawn - and the Puff Up ability combos nicely with the Egg Clutch spawned monsters. Plus, they're on a Large base, so having another way to block a corridor is quite nice (though it can backfire with Burst abilities!)

I need to change this card to make it clear the only way to get them is Combine, though.

Metalys are the balancing point; I want to know if the wording on the card is clear or not.

Basically, they always have to move their full allowance, they are 'free' to move, they HAVE to spawn when 16-bit is reached, when the Heroes kill one they draw from the Treasure deck, and when they reach the final tile they leave the dungeon.

I wanted to capture the feel of a Metal Slime (basically, a high-EXP giving random enemy, but it's immune to magic, all hits but criticals only do 1 damage, and they run away 50% of their turns) in this package.

No, the spawn point isn't finished either.

Closer on the Dukeslime - he's kinda the focus of the spawn point, though the Healies are also nice.

If you've never played DQ, Healslimes and their relatives are among THE MOST ANNOYING enemies! In fact, in DQ8 that gets turned on its head because there's a monster arena where you can send your monsters against other monsters, and a Healie is essential... but that's getting into another game.

They aren't too strong, but the threat they bring is healing others. And they're basically floating jellyfish.

The unpainted group - they're basically Sculpey underneath with GS'ed details, though in THIS group I've replaced most of their eyes with dots cut from a GW sprue so they're in a regular shape - if it paints up well I'll replace the eyes on the original group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Topher
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
This is incredible - very balanced and very nice job!

I think a Healie could heal 2... 1 health point isn't very much for Consul units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuuichi Aizawa
United States
California
flag msg tools
wow nice not a slime fan BUT! good job on balancing it doesn't seem to OP which is the problem with some people when they make their own custom mobs/characters though the heal slime won't have much time to shine cause most of the mobs have 1 hp T.T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
The reason the Healie doesn't heal two is because I was looking at multiple spawn points; if they healed two than one Consul turn could remove all of a Hero's efforts.

Yuuichi, they're best when used in concert with other things - like minibosses and bosses.

In the end, this spawn point isn't too powerful by itself, but in cooperation with others really starts to shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N India
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Awesome! I love DQ, but like Yuuichi I've never been a huge Slime fan. But I really love what you've done, and the minis are Super. I especially like how you've even come up with their own spawning point! My favorite has to be the Metaly. His special rules are hilarious and fit perfectly. I even like how on his card he is kind of slinking around in the background! I might even consider raising his ARM stat to 4w though, because you know the heroes are gonna make every effort to vanquish this guy, although the Sturdy rule (which is great) may be enough to compensate. All in all they seem very well thought out. Nice job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Kumohara
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group was recently throwing out ideas for a "Slime Hero/Rocket Slime" player character, and now I see this!

I'm printing these out & definitely fitting them into our sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Now that I've seen two expansions, I think I'm gonna play with making the Dukeslime an 8-bit monster - but I also might play with making his Aura a non-Slime thing, since after some play, the main theme to the slimes seems to be aiding the other monsters rather than leading the charge themselves.

So, er. They might be updated soon. So don't go too crazy.

They're not too hard to sculpt, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.